More model ideas

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, MJI said:

HST - TRSB has never been done.

But not on its own. Hornby's mix and match with ex-Lima tooling for some vehicles was really off-putting for me. Despite the limitations of Hornby's HST coaches, I would prefer a matching TRSB from them than a much better TRSB from Accurascale looking out of place in a longer rake.

• Agree 3

Despite all the advancements in DCC and electronics, there's still one thing (at least) wrong with lights on locos.

Imagine, as a simple example, a freight arriving at an intermediate place to drop off a wagon into a siding.

As soon as the (model) loco and wagon(s) reverse to go into the siding, the headlights on the loco switch ends - this is NOT SO in real life.

So I think there should be an over-ride function for such a scenario. To me, this would be much more useful and realistic

than the multitude of 'extra' sounds provided that I (and probably others too) never use.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

But not on its own. Hornby's mix and match with ex-Lima tooling for some vehicles was really off-putting for me. Despite the limitations of Hornby's HST coaches, I would prefer a matching TRSB from them than a much better TRSB from Accurascale looking out of place in a longer rake.

I have a pile of their early 2000s clear windowed HST stock need 1 TF, 1 TGS, 2 BG, 1 47 to complete another set, will be converting a TRUB to TRSB, just need to get a very good grey match. The other set is very long with 2 power cars and 7 trailers.

The area I am doing mainly had diverted HSTs so a couple of sets and the generator van set will do.

I personally think that if someone was to do a HST, then they would have to do the mk3 as well. The amount of research that would have to go into that would be an impressive feat.

Looking at the buffet cars:-

TRUK

TRUB

TRSB

RFM

RFB

With and without CDL.

You then have 40619, which was a unique conversion for I believe the Master Cutler, which then ended up on cross country services with Virgin.

You then have the modern cross country buffet cars which were a mixture of HST trailers, and, converted LCHS., with and without sliding doors.

With those alone, there are 16 different toolings just for a mk3 buffet car. 

Thats a hell of an undertaking for a manufacturer of any size. 

If I have missed any of then please correct me. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

I personally think that if someone was to do a HST, then they would have to do the mk3 as well. The amount of research that would have to go into that would be an impressive feat.

Looking at the buffet cars:-

TRUK

TRUB

TRSB

RFM

RFB

With and without CDL.

You then have 40619, which was a unique conversion for I believe the Master Cutler, which then ended up on cross country services with Virgin.

You then have the modern cross country buffet cars which were a mixture of HST trailers, and, converted LCHS., with and without sliding doors.

With those alone, there are 16 different toolings just for a mk3 buffet car. 

Thats a hell of an undertaking for a manufacturer of any size. 

If I have missed any of then please correct me. 

I think I missed off the TRFB.

If a manufacturer was going to do a complete mk3 tooling suite then there are a lot more carriages to take into account.

TF 

TS

TGS

TGF

FO

SO

BUO

SLE

SLEP

All with and without CDL

The prototype mk3's.

Royal Train mk3's 

NMT

The various Irish varients.

The International demonstrator train.

Night-star genny vans.

RTC mk3's.

Chiltern sliding plug doors.

Scotrail, GWR, and Cross Country sliding doors.

5 WES.

All of which would need separate toolings to be done properly.

As a footnote, I have mentioned CDL variants, as no doubt, an orange transfer would not cut it in this day and age. DCC modellers would probably prefer a light that lights up on the appropriate side in a station.

The mk3, is not a simple undertaking to be done properly. My hat goes off to someone who will do it properly. And, yes I will buy them.

Also, if I have missed of any mk3 variants, then please correct me. :)

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dave55uk said:

... As soon as the (model) loco and wagon(s) reverse to go into the siding, the headlights on the loco switch ends - this is NOT SO in real life. So I think there should be an over-ride function for such a scenario. ...

Better - or at least more realistic - would be a function that can be used to designate the 'front' of the loco before starting from wherever, rather than an override to an automatic system. 

25 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

TGF

Did you mean BFO?

25 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

As a footnote, I have mentioned CDL variants, as no doubt, an orange transfer would not cut it in this day and age. DCC modellers would probably prefer a light that lights up on the appropriate side in a station.

I seem to recall that the retooled Hornby ones are CDL only, as were the previous ones that weren't ex-Lima (which had the offending printing).  But definitely an area a manufacturer could go to town. 

Edited by frobisher
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Better - or at least more realistic - would be a function that can be used to designate the 'front' of the loco before starting from wherever, rather than an override to an automatic system. 

Indeed. i did think of that but plumped for the over-ride function in my post.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dave55uk said:

As soon as the (model) loco and wagon(s) reverse to go into the siding, the headlights on the loco switch ends - this is NOT SO in real life.

Perfectly possible today if the wiring and decoder programming is correct.

I've several Farish class 37's where I modified the lighting to transfer the red tail lights from the standard F0f and F0r white/yellow function outputs, moving them onto the green & purple F1/F2 outputs which are available as solder pads on some 6 pin decoders. I can now turn on/off red lights at either end at will (including when the directional head-lights are on!)

It's easier still on Next18 decoders as no re-wiring is needed. 

JMRI does help make the function re-mapping easier.

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, frobisher said:

Did you mean BFO?

I seem to recall that the retooled Hornby ones are CDL only, as were the previous ones that weren't ex-Lima (which had the offending printing).  But definitely an area a manufacturer could go to town. 

No. I am referring to the TGS that got converted to TGF in the Midland Pullman rake that is operated by LSL at Crewe Diesel. Oh you have the 2 408xx buffet cars in that rake, that are unique to it. That would require 2 more toolings to cover them.

I am going down the line that modellers today will not accept transfers on clear glazing any more,  using a generic tooling.

The mk3 is almost as diverse as the mk1 in terms of varients. In this day and age of fidelity, one size will NOT fit all.

The crux of what I'm getting at, is that if are going to do a mk3, you have to take into account all the variants to do it properly. 

Oh I missed of the Anglia mk3 buffets, converted from both HST trailers and Mk3a/b LHCS. Up to their replacement by MU's.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

No. I am referring to the TGS that got converted to TGF in the Midland Pullman rake that is operated by LSL at Crewe Diesel. Oh you have the 2 408xx buffet cars in that rake, that are unique to it. That would require 2 more toolings to cover them.

Ah, okay.  You missed the BFO then...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Ah, okay.  You missed the BFO then...

Ok. Is that 17173 - 17175 before they became BUO and transferred to GWR for use on the Night Riviera? If so thank you.

So would you be referring to the carriage at 7:33 in the following video?

https://youtu.be/4A9hj6GTbzQ

If so, I was used to travelling in/on those carriages when they were BUO with Virgin West Coast. They were carriage B, the smoking carriage.

I do beleive they were used as 1st class brake vans before on the Manchester Pullman trains. 

Again I stand to be corrected.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Ok. Is that 17173 - 17175 before they became BUO and transferred to GWR for use on the Night Riviera? If so thank you.

So would you be referring to the carriage at 7:33 in the following video?

https://youtu.be/4A9hj6GTbzQ

If so, I was used to travelling in/on those carriages when they were BUO with Virgin West Coast. They were carriage B, the smoking carriage.

I do beleive they were used as 1st class brake vans before on the Manchester Pullman trains. 

Again I stand to be corrected.

That's the bunnies.

There's also the Scotrail CO as well.  Obviously the SO/FO/CO/TSO/TFO are at their base the same bodyshell, differing only by interior layout.

I suppose that's the next can of worms, the seating differences.  As introduced, the TSO pretty much had table seating bays only and no "airline" style seating for instance.

• Agree 1

I think Mk3s could sell... another gift that keeps on giving. 

As much as a gimmick as they were... I would love to see British RTR go into German levels of innovation. Roco was doing spectacular DCC coaches 10 years ago. Having slamming doors could be the last frontier in "premium" features that manufacturers have been seeking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

OK - what's the point of motorized passenger car doors without motorized passengers to use them ?

Another gimmick for a certain manufacturer to raise costs and pass them over to us,  cynically speaking.

(Though it would look cool, a rake of Cjiltern mk3's coming into a station and the doors opening. Or a 5WES).

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Steven B said:

... I can now turn on/off red lights at either end at will (including when the directional head-lights are on!)...

But I'm not on about RED tail lights (and yes, some decoders do allow turning off the tail lights when vehicles are attached to the loco),

I'm on about the HEADLIGHTS.

5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

OK - what's the point of motorized passenger car doors without motorized passengers to use them ?

The 314 (and possibly all other pep stock) had sliding doors that all opened even if the train was empty. Is accurascale up for the challenge...? 

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I would love to see sliding doors able to be opened, they are just not practicable in 00 without major compromises in the interior looks. 

What is more important? I think for me, and probably the majority of potential purchasers, the unit has to look right, opening doors coming second. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

37 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Whilst I would love to see sliding doors able to be opened, they are just not practicable in 00 without major compromises in the interior looks. 

What is more important? I think for me, and probably the majority of potential purchasers, the unit has to look right, opening doors coming second. 

Roy

I just think it’d be odd, if they open and no one gets on , although could always be an off peak model

I made a case for the HST on page 75 (man, that was July last year). To summarise myself, my idea is that Accurascale could win the game by not producing dummy cars.

Hornby motorised + dummy pack is ~£327 at retailers. I reckon Accurascale motorised + motorised could do £380 (considering the Class 50 is £190), or even better. And I think some celebrity liveries (e.g. the Flying Tomato, EMR Purple) should be sold separately, so that people have a choice of what to pair them with.

To modellers counting the Mk3 coach types, have you counted the Flying Banana?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

100% agree with your second point but there are several issues with the idea of  working carriage doors quite beyond the fact that many don't simply slide.

Considering how little one can actually see through tinted windows on OO coaches, losing some/most of the interior might not be a deal breaker.

However, making working doors look anything like "scale" in 4mm would be problematic, especially if they were expected to have much in the way of longevity.

It might address the attitudes to £150+ per-car DMU/EMUs though, 'cos such models of Mk3s would be up there with them. Four doors, and mechanisms to drive them, with interlocked indicator lights....

Oh, and a control chip in each coach; it would look daft if every door on one side of the train opened in unison.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I just think it’d be odd, if they open and no one gets on , although could always be an off peak model

...or you could be modelling the Covid era. Has anyone marketed masked passengers and staff?

Medical staff - yes https://www.scale3d.co.uk/collections/emergency-services/products/mm223-doctor-in-scrubs-wearing-mask?variant=43054309638364  and there are paramedics as well.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1