More model ideas

AFAIK there are no early BR-era iron ore hoppers available in 7mm as kits or RTR (whether BR, LMS or PO designs). Many of these had long lives and some types were later used for sand traffic or converted to ballast hoppers. 

I’m not so familiar with 4mm but I think iron ore hoppers are thin on the ground there too. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

AFAIK there are no early BR-era iron ore hoppers available in 7mm as kits or RTR (whether BR, LMS or PO designs). Many of these had long lives and some types were later used for sand traffic or converted to ballast hoppers. 

I’m not so familiar with 4mm but I think iron ore hoppers are thin on the ground there too. 

Thin to the point of being invisible; a Bachmann one, using moulds from a 1970 model from Mainline, occasionally appears, but is 'dimensionally challenged'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sounds like an ideal candidate for an up-to-date model, much more of a gap to fill than incremental improvements on more recent models of other stock.

Considering the later usage for other minerals I think they would have quite a wide appeal.

The downside is that there were many different types - 8 BR diagrams and several inherited ones, so care would be needed to select one or more variants with longer or more varied lives.

Experience from the existing HUO coal hopper models in both scales should be a good starting point and some components may be common to the BR iron ore hoppers.

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Thin to the point of being invisible; a Bachmann one, using moulds from a 1970 model from Mainline, occasionally appears, but is 'dimensionally challenged'

Erm Yes please Accurascale.  Obviously "Senior Scale" in additional to 4mm would reduce research costs per unit sold quite dramatically. David Larkin refers the BR ones as Dia 1/163 - 1/167 covering various detail differences, buffers, axleboxes etc.  My preference would equally be for the pre BR design iron ore hoppers.  

We have touched on these briefly in the past but Dia 2/532 Flatrol MJ flask carrying wagon. B900509 - B900532 - Swindon built between 1961-1963 would be really useful transition era wagons and would fill in the gap in the Accurascale range of nuclear carriers.

Another previously mentioned is the BR Dia 1/227 ferry van built by Pressed Steel and by Ashford between 1962 and 1964. Numbers GB786873 - GB 787022 and GB 787098 - GB 787347.

Interestingly, the gap in numbers 787023 and 787097 were a batch of differently bodied palvans to Dia 1/235 which carried the distinctive blue Ford livery with central full height white Ford logo. 

All from the David Larkin books 

3 hours ago, AndrewB7585 said:

On the GWR Manor thread Accurascale have said they have visited Didcot on some “interesting business” that they will tell us more about at a later date. So what is there at Didcot that they might be interested in? A Saint or a County perhaps? 

Well given the size of the collection at Didcot the potential list is likely rather long

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AndrewB7585 said:

On the GWR Manor thread Accurascale have said they have visited Didcot on some “interesting business” that they will tell us more about at a later date. So what is there at Didcot that they might be interested in? A Saint or a County perhaps? 

I’m hoping it’s the 08!! ;-) 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndrewB7585 said:

The brantub is here - stick your hand in and see what you can grab.

I picked out a couple of interesting autotrailers - the start of a "Britain goes both ways" range?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Maybe they're dipping their toes in the lineside market  -  with a coaling stage / water tank that 'could fail at any time' !!?!

I would say the coaling stage is unlikely at the moment as it’s wrapped in scaffolding. Which of course could also mean they could get closer to the details….

I reckon it’s rolling stock for the Manor. Plus with such a tease, I would suggest the ep can’t be far away.

23 hours ago, AndrewB7585 said:

I think there’s a recently repainted Rotank milk tanker lurking there somewhere too. It’s something a little unusual and would match well with the siphon.

8 minutes ago, 7802 said:

I think there’s a recently repainted Rotank milk tanker lurking there somewhere too. It’s something a little unusual and would match well with the siphon.

Now that would be rather nice. Also other passenger and NPCCS stock there.  Did Accurascale have a lookat a Siphon G there, assuming Didcot have one.

One wagon that they did used to have, and maybe still do is the BR 4 wheel Ferry High, which I think was painted in a fictional GWR livery. Now that would be really nice Fran and co   hint hint 33 ton Open Coal Wagon. | DETAILS FOR THIS VEHICLE. Location… | Flickr

Edit - unable to post the link but it is painted black with white G W lettering and the vehicle type PNA number 5268

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Did Accurascale have a lookat a Siphon G there, assuming Didcot have one.

We surveyed the examples at the G&WSR and Quainton as part of the preparation for our Siphon G @Covkid

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Covkid said:

One wagon that they did used to have, and maybe still do is the BR 4 wheel Ferry High, which I think was painted in a fictional GWR livery. Now that would be really nice Fran and co   hint hint 33 ton Open Coal Wagon. |.....

Yes, interesting wagon - based on some built by the Southern Railway though to metric-ish dimensions ! .... the G.W.S. had a pair of them for importing coal to the site - I thought they'd been scrapped but they're still shown on the Wagons Survey site.

Now that Accurascale have filled a gap in the MK2 range with the mk2b, I'd love to see them attempt some of the other variations (even ones already done). As someone who's only just recently begun modelling the mid-to-late 60's period, I've found it incredibly hard to come across MK2 and MK2A's from Bachmann - Seems they've been very slack for a number of years with the amount of early MK2 coaches they've produced. 

I really think it'd be fantastic to see Accurascale corner the MK2 market. Should they choose to go down this path, they'd be able to produce a specific MK2 EMU that "everyone" has been asking for ;), along with the Manchester Pullman MK2 service. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, thohurst said:

I really think it'd be fantastic to see Accurascale corner the MK2 market. Should they choose to go down this path, they'd be able to produce a specific MK2 EMU that "everyone" has been asking for ;), along with the Manchester Pullman MK2 service. 

With Mk2b and Mk2c being done by Accurascale, Mk2a and Mk2f by Bachmann and Mk2e by Hornby, that pretty much covers the range save for the oddities like the Manchester Pullmans and the Caley Sleeper BUOs etc. I can assume the bodyshell is pretty much the same apart from the doors on the Mk2s, but there are thinks like bogie step boards on the brake vehicles, and the cutaways at the bottom of the inwards opening brakevan doors. 

Not sure where Accurascale would want to consider those FGW "fag packet livery" motorail car carrier conversions which could these days also carry Network Rail yellow as well as the TNT labelled trials 

image.png.1e11750f4a6c313b6d605d5da82d640c.png

7 hours ago, Covkid said:

With Mk2b and Mk2c being done by Accurascale, Mk2a and Mk2f by Bachmann and Mk2e by Hornby, that pretty much covers the range save for the oddities like the Manchester Pullmans and the Caley Sleeper BUOs etc. I can assume the bodyshell is pretty much the same apart from the doors on the Mk2s, but there are thinks like bogie step boards on the brake vehicles, and the cutaways at the bottom of the inwards opening brakevan doors. 

Not sure where Accurascale would want to consider those FGW "fag packet livery" motorail car carrier conversions which could these days also carry Network Rail yellow as well as the TNT labelled trials 

image.png.1e11750f4a6c313b6d605d5da82d640c.png

… here’s a Network Rail version…

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Covkid said:

With Mk2b and Mk2c being done by Accurascale, Mk2a and Mk2f by Bachmann and Mk2e by Hornby, that pretty much covers the range save for the oddities like the Manchester Pullmans and the Caley Sleeper BUOs etc.

I do not see the 2E as having being covered. The Hornby model is below the standard of the other Mk2s you mention. I would like to see a better version of the 2D as well.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BR Blue said:

I do not see the 2E as having being covered. The Hornby model is below the standard of the other Mk2s you mention. I would like to see a better version of the 2D as well.

Whilst it is not covered, as far as I am aware the difference between D and E, and then E and Fs are quite subtle and therefore how many people are queuing up to buy Es instead of Ds or Fs?

Sorry if this is complete ignorance on my part but I would have thought the differences were subtle enough that a lot of people wouldn't care too much and there are bigger holes in the market than the mk2E. Also, isn't the mk2E the least numerous out of all the mk2s other than the 2B (which whilst AS are doing it, there wasn't any existing model still in production of it as far as I am aware).

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst it is not covered, as far as I am aware the difference between D and E, and then E and Fs are quite subtle and therefore how many people are queuing up to buy Es instead of Ds or Fs?

Sorry if this is complete ignorance on my part but I would have thought the differences were subtle enough that a lot of people wouldn't care too much and there are bigger holes in the market than the mk2E. Also, isn't the mk2E the least numerous out of all the mk2s other than the 2B (which whilst AS are doing it, there wasn't any existing model still in production of it as far as I am aware).

The Es and and Fs are very similar alright and it would not take much for Bachmann to do an E. The D is different, the major difference being the position of the toilet windows. The C and D are probably more alike in this regard, albeit with different window frames as the D is air-conditioned. Obviously I am not getting into roof vents and underframe differences.

The Bs and Cs were/are definitely the biggest hole in the market but I am sure there are other people like me who would like Ds and Es to a high standard.

• Like 1