More model ideas

28 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I'm not sure if they are licenced , but the IIA-D Drax Biomass Wagons for OO could be a sensible move - Hornby don't seem content with supplying many people with them, and they would fit nicely in the "Powering Britain" series, perhaps giving Hornby a taste of its own medicine.

I am pretty sure when Revolution announced the N gauge ones that when asked about OO they said it was a no go (more in that they weren't allowed than wouldn't). Might be wrong though.

15 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

It's possible then that Hornby's licence has actually expired and a n other has it.. It is a 5 year old model now, it isn't unknown for licences to have expiration dates. 

I would have thought Revolution would have asked when producing the N model, considering how many of their models have jumped across from one gauge to the other. But someone else may have beat them to it.. 

Exactly, I am pretty sure they said they asked the question (they'd have been mad not to IMO).

53 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Another I'd propose is the JGA-N Cement Tanks -  These - they have been around for quite a few years now and carried quite a few liveries and are well travelled. 

Missed this before. I agree, I think I have suggested these before. On top of the two very valid points you make, they also look cool!

• RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2022 at 22:00, Global said:

I’m not saying Bachmann’s is bad by any stretch but, and I know we’ve been here before so might have to agree to disagree! ;-) but it’s just a bit lacking for me - no stay alive,

IMO I don't get the fixation with stay alives.

They should be a last resort for to compensate for cr&p track laying , dirty wheels, dirty track and inefficient pickups. Or running them on carpet.

Any 6-axle pickup (and 4-axle for that matter) diesel/electric with a big block chassis shouldn't need them.

I have 5 locos with stay alives on DL.

2 are 08s that I want to run front and centre for two days at a weekend show and I don't trust the Hornby pickup system on it to stay clean for 2 days.

Two Hornby 67s as no matter how I try to adjust the pickups, they won't keep working for a day without tweaking (I really must fit new ones...  see the next loco)

The other is a Dapol 73 because the pickups are the worst design known to man and are cr&p (I would fit new ones, but I was offered a stay alive at a good price at the time)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

IMO I don't get the fixation with stay alives.

They should be a last resort for to compensate

Totally, but if you can get them built into locomotive PCB's without impacting cost, isn't that a positive move? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, McC said:

Totally, but if you can get them built into locomotive PCB's without impacting cost, isn't that a positive move? 

I agree, but the post by G was intimating that it was a negative move by Bachmann not to fit them on the 47, but in reality, is more of a neutral point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Our attitude is that the tech can be very easily and cheaply added at factory and design stage so why not include as it makes sound and lighting dramatically more ‘accurate’ and realistic when not cutting out or flickering on dirty track. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, newbryford said:

They should be a last resort for to compensate for cr&p track laying , dirty wheels, dirty track and inefficient pickups. Or running them on carpet.

You have probably just described not just the majority of layouts, but maybe even 80% or more.

Many people don't have the skills to create trouble free track installations, or to diagnose problems when the occur to figure out if it is the track or the item of rolling stock.

And with more moving into sound it is simply a bit of insurance at little to no cost to prevent the sound from temporarily cutting out.

So yes, you with perfect track and perfect rolling stock (and possibly no interest in DCC lighting/sound) may not need them but a lot of people do - and anything to prevent them getting frustrated and leaving the hobby is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

Any 6-axle pickup (and 4-axle for that matter) diesel/electric with a big block chassis shouldn't need them.

I agree in principle, the only thing I have at the moment that could do with them is a my Hornby 66 with TTS that shuts off literally the moment any power is lost. I presume this is actually the pickups rather than the track too.

OTOH my track has been laid about 15 months, so it's not had chance to get dirty in hard to access places yet, and if there is little to no impact in cost then why not. If there was the choice between decent lighting and a stay alive I'd go for the lighting every day of the week though.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, mdvle said:

You have probably just described not just the majority of layouts, but maybe even 80% or more.

Many people don't have the skills to create trouble free track installations, or to diagnose problems when the occur to figure out if it is the track or the item of rolling stock.

Wow - that's a damning number?

Do you have any facts to back that number up?

My track isn't perfect and spotlessly clean, but I make the effort to try and keep it that way.

If stay alives become a standard fitting - will that encourage a lowering of track cleaning/track laying standards?

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Back on topic - FNA-D please.

Edited by newbryford
tidying up
  • Like 2

A teacher used to say, “Moderation, lads, moderation in all things.” Stay alive is a good idea. It’s horrible when an engine dies whilst the locomotive carries on to the the sound of the engine restarting. On the other hand, I have visions of a derailed loco out of reach heading relentlessly towards the edge of the baseboard because it has a large bank of stay-alive capacitors.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

A teacher used to say, “Moderation, lads, moderation in all things.” Stay alive is a good idea. It’s horrible when an engine dies whilst the locomotive carries on to the the sound of the engine restarting. On the other hand, I have visions of a derailed loco out of reach heading relentlessly towards the edge of the baseboard because it has a large bank of stay-alive capacitors.

Some decoders have a CV that controls how long the SA is active for. The few locos of mine that have SAs have it set to 2 seconds max.

Likewise, it is possible to set a CV that controls the sound restart. (Or at least that was the case for ESU v3.5s.... CV124=6)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, slg said:

Id like the 2 types seen at 1.50 as they are the 2 I remember the most, plus the RMC wagons at 4.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBRg6DQ534

Also the welded track train would be nice.

65986518_crewe70.png.6acc7eae5a59f4ca99a3b9cd8b65f258.png

690510768_crewe71.png.ae5a8c2f8651c6c1ba623aa1e56d3764.png

1750484139_hestbank02.png.10e679c92675f2fa996ce627eb4b7840.png

440351254_preston26.png.619c69a6320b0be688c9808b745d13fc.png

2058270839_Vic18.png.dc7f11ffe47487774005f532b27ef0d6.png

962511456_wigan47.jpg.7aab5cdf9ca65ff7ea8d9e3b5567c538.jpg

Good old 07’s. They were good machines, Balfour Beatty had the last operational ones on the main line if I remember right.  The other machine looks like one of the ballast regulators. We need more of these, well their modern equivalent. There’s always too much ballast were it’s not needed! 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

There’s always too much ballast were it’s not needed! 

The railway today with its long welded sections and train weights and speed dictate the modern ballasting,its heaped up on the outside to pin the track in place.Its very much needed.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The railway today with its long welded sections and train weights and speed dictate the modern ballasting,its heaped up on the outside to pin the track in place.Its very much needed.

Apologies, I think my point was potentially missed. I’m a Senior Track Engineer for NR, so fully aware of the requirements for ballast, though I would note the standards today are the same as they were many years ago.  You are correct, CWR track has a ballast shoulder that is generally required to be 375mm wide, if the radius is 2000m or less it should 450mm. In all cases the height should be 125mm. This applies to track up to 125mph. On jointed track, the shoulder can be level with the top of the sleeper. Ballast serves a bigger purpose than pinning the track in place. Heaped ballast is not enough to hold the track in place if there are other discontinuities, it requires the correct stress to be applies, the fastening system, to be doing its job, any stress transitions to and adjustment switches to be set correctly. 

What I was getting at, is there are numerous locations where ballast is deficient, yet loads where there is excess. I have know sites take shoes off 3rd rail units, I’ve even have the misfortune to watching a colleague hit the deck like a sack of potato’s due to a Pendolino catch a high shoulder and sending ballast flying. Just one of many examples where incompetence leads to another’s injury. 

Edited by Ncarter2
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

Apologies, I think my point was potentially missed. I’m a Senior Track Engineer for NR, so fully aware of the requirements for ballast, though I would note the standards today are the same as they were many years ago.  You are correct, CWR track has a ballast shoulder that is generally required to be 375mm wide, if the radius is 2000m or less it should 450mm. In all cases the height should be 125mm. This applies to track up to 125mph. On jointed track, the shoulder can be level with the top of the sleeper. Ballast serves a bigger purpose than pinning the track in place. Heaped ballast is not enough to hold the track in place if there are other discontinuities, it requires the correct stress to be applies, the fastening system, to be doing its job, any stress transitions to and adjustment switches to be set correctly. 

What I was getting at, is there are numerous locations where ballast is deficient, yet loads where there is excess. I have know sites take shoes off 3rd rail units, I’ve even have the misfortune to watching a colleague hit the deck like a sack of potato’s due to a Pendolino catch a high shoulder and sending ballast flying. Just one of many examples where incompetence leads to another’s injury. 

No apologie needed,thanks for the information,no excuse for you to have unrealistic ballast on your layout then and we can all benefit from your information to improve ours,thanks.

7 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Still on the ballast theme,i would think the MFS-D wagon would be a great Accurascale project,who would not want a few to run with a Hattons or Bachman 66.

https://www.plasser.co.uk/en/machines-systems/ballast-bed-cleaning/material-logistics/mfs-d-mfs-sb.html    

There's a chap doing 3d prints of these in OO, he sells through eBay. 

• Friendly/supportive 1