More model ideas

49 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, and if there is something problematic with them it will be well publicised which may or may not affect their lifetime.

Yes I was thinking more (as I have said above) doing smaller ones and adding coaches. Which is exactly what Bachmann did with the S stock that nobody can buy without remortgaging their house!

The 345 wasn't the most obvious choice for me, more that I think it would gather sales because it has a TFL logo on it.

As I said before the Electrostars are the ones that I am surprised aren't already done.

Its a whole lot easier to tool up modifications at the start rather than trying to retro-fit them into an existing model so you're at a disadvantage with a brand new train than looking back at one over its life.

if it sells just because it has a TFL logo on it, then is that the tourist souvenir market or one thats going to cough up for an accurate model? I'd suggest they're quite different markets.

In terms of units I'd think the 313/314/315/507/508, 317/318/455, 319/320/321/322/456, 325s families would have to be far better propositions. Wide geographic spread, more manageable lengths, long lifespan and lots of liveries

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Covkid said:

I think I have seen an example of someone using Bachmann 170 cars to convert to an Electrostar, maybe having to alter odd apertures.  Again, is the 170 built to 23m car lengths whereas the DC EMUs are 20m ?  Probably a big cut and shut job for the individual, and probably way outside the scope of the current Bachmann tooling.  But if Bachmann still have the design CAD, then maybe it is something they have planned for the future. 

That was probably me! I built the first 4mm scale Electrostar then resin cast parts to help many others make theirs over the years! I guess resin was a bit old hat now with all the fancy 3D printing stuff these days but it was fun to do at the time!

44488DA7-09F4-420A-879C-33243E06DF2C_1_201_a.jpeg.45fe76660b3b72981d615636fdcafa38.jpeg

The vehicles are 20m length so have a window bay missing from the middle and a smidgen removed from either end as well, lots of cutting and shutting from the Bachmann Turbostar.

The challenge I'd think for say Accurascale here is creating tooling that does all of the variations in more recent batches, especially the ribbon window glazing giving way to normal glazing on newer sets for example, amongst a host of other differences in roof detail, vents, cab headlights & lower lighting, body cantrail grilles, inner ends and underframe boxes arrangements too. 

28806887755_cf0e8b5b12_c.jpgScratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It would be awesome to see a model of the Electrostar, from the viewpoint of once selling lots of resin kits I used to keep a keen eye on manufacturer announcements thinking that any moment there would be one announced (Hornby did an interview with Model Rail in 2007 that heavily hinted it too) but alas nothing has yet appeared! It is surely only a matter of time now, you literally can't model the South East in the last 20 years without one!

Bagsy a classic 3-car early Southern 377 (ex South Central 375/3) as the variant I'd love first!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, James Makin said:

That was probably me! I built the first 4mm scale Electrostar then resin cast parts to help many others make theirs over the years! I guess resin was a bit old hat now with all the fancy 3D printing stuff these days but it was fun to do at the time!

The vehicles are 20m length so have a window bay missing from the middle and a smidgen removed from either end as well, lots of cutting and shutting from the Bachmann Turbostar.

The challenge I'd think for say Accurascale here is creating tooling that does all of the variations in more recent batches, especially the ribbon window glazing giving way to normal glazing on newer sets for example, amongst a host of other differences in roof detail, vents, cab headlights & lower lighting, body cantrail grilles, inner ends and underframe boxes arrangements too. 

Scratchbuilt Electrostar 377504 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

It would be awesome to see a model of the Electrostar, from the viewpoint of once selling lots of resin kits I used to keep a keen eye on manufacturer announcements thinking that any moment there would be one announced (Hornby did an interview with Model Rail in 2007 that heavily hinted it too) but alas nothing has yet appeared! It is surely only a matter of time now, you literally can't model the South East in the last 20 years without one!

Bagsy a classic 3-car early Southern 377 (ex South Central 375/3) as the variant I'd love first!

Cheers,

James

Thanks for responding James.  Yes it was you I was thinking of, but Iwonder how many of your parts have been incorporated into completed 37x.

As you suggest, the Electrostar does need producing, especially with the plethora of liveries.   I am guessing they are all 20m bodyshells, with differences such as ribbon or conventional windows and pan wells on some. I guess one of the plusses is that they come in 3 4 and 5 car lengths which means the extra cars could be made available. 

18 hours ago, GordonC said:

if it sells just because it has a TFL logo on it, then is that the tourist souvenir market or one thats going to cough up for an accurate model? I'd suggest they're quite different markets.

Whilst the TFL 20s from Bachmann did sell despite having the headlamps missing, I do think it is nothing to do with tourists.

There are TFL enthusiasts who collect TFL rolling stock.

Look at what S stock goes for now on eBay/wherever. A lot less high profile a train yet they are silly money now.

Its a whole lot easier to tool up modifications at the start rather than trying to retro-fit them into an existing model so you're at a disadvantage with a brand new train than looking back at one over its life.

Maybe so. The flip side to that is once somebody has taken the jump it's probably a closed market. The manufacturers just need to choose where the money is best spent.

Other than the 88 (of which there is only 10, in one livery), has there been any new loco on the network (or due to come onto the network in the case of 18 and 93) that a manufacturer hadn't jumped in and done? Dapol modified their tooling for the 68 in service, and Bachmann did with the 70.

In terms of units I'd think the 313/314/315/507/508, 317/318/455, 319/320/321/322/456, 325s families would have to be far better propositions. Wide geographic spread, more manageable lengths, long lifespan and lots of liveries

Depends really, but 319 etc have already been mentioned by me as good choices so I agree there.

A bit like how Hornby jumped on the Javelins and IETs, I think somebody will jump on 345s simply because of their spotlight and political significance. Same will probably happen with whatever stock goes on HS2.

Electrostars sound like a good idea, especially in N of course. Lots of lovely long trains and, as pointed out, many many liveries.

Including the Gautrain ! Which I ride on often here. I suspect there are many others who'd like one to run alongside their class 40s etc.

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing yesterday's announcement of tripcock-fitted Brush 2s is the start of a new range: Taking Britain Home to Hertfordshire from Parts of Central London and its Northern Suburbs.  I can see a variety of rolling stock following on and a number of EMU types, particularly if the lines to Hertford East are included. Exciting times.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I'm guessing yesterday's announcement of tripcock-fitted Brush 2s is the start of a new range: Taking Britain Home to Hertfordshire from Parts of Central London and its Northern Suburbs.  I can see a variety of rolling stock following on and a number of EMU types, particularly if the lines to Hertford East are included. Exciting times.

That's a bit of a mouthful, how about 'The Cross in a box'.

Of course I can see fireworks when they reach the Gresley period.....

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

That's a bit of a mouthful, how about 'The Cross in a box'.

Not inclusive enough - followers of the GE lines would be offended.  Besides, doesn't the Vatican already own that brand?

44 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Of course I can see fireworks when they reach the Gresley period.....

I'd like to see a Jazz Train before they do all that post-Grouping stuff.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Possibly a bit early for most posting on this thread, and maybe more consistent with recent announcements from Rapido. 

However, here goes. Now we (at last) have a "right size" r-t-r Gunpowder van, maybe somebody could/should take on the task of finally laying to rest the remaining Hornby Dublo and Mainline inheritance of models whose dimensions were "adjusted" to fit standard/existing underframes.

Dapol: PasFruit D (too wide), Salt/ lime vans (too long), Fruit-Mex (both plus the wrong roof profile).

Bachmann: All GWR vans, including Mogo and Fruit (all too wide). LMS Cattle wagon (too short).

I'll leave out the fictitious 17'6" so-called PO types originally foisted on us by Airfix and still being churned out by Dapol and Hornby as better models are already available from Bachmann and Oxford Rail.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

55 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Possibly a bit early for most posting on this thread, and maybe more consistent with recent announcements from Rapido. 

However, here goes. Now we (at last) have a "right size" r-t-r Gunpowder van, maybe somebody could/should take on the task of finally laying to rest the remaining Hornby Dublo and Mainline inheritance of models whose dimensions were "adjusted" to fit standard/existing underframes.

Dapol: PasFruit D (too wide), Salt/ lime vans (too long), Fruit-Mex (both plus the wrong roof profile).

Bachmann: All GWR vans, including Mogo and Fruit (all too wide). LMS Cattle wagon (too short).

I'll leave out the fictitious 17'6" so-called PO types originally foisted on us by Airfix and still being churned out by Dapol and Hornby as better models are already available from Bachmann and Oxford Rail.

John

Cannot disagree with any of that, and after seeing the releases and promises from not just Accurascale, but the likes of Rapido, Revolution and Cavalex as well as Bachmann - those vanwides look rather nice. 

I think we have a chance of seeing many "rescales" coming our way.  No matter what "sams Trains" whinges on about, where everything has to be matched in value to cheapo Oxford, i have been happy to receive my Rapido GPVs. 

So let us slip in Ironstone hoppers again !!!

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️ totally agree with the above. I'll take a bunch of Fruit D wagons please!!!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Cannot disagree with any of that, and after seeing the releases and promises from not just Accurascale, but the likes of Rapido, Revolution and Cavalex as well as Bachmann - those vanwides look rather nice. 

I think we have a chance of seeing many "rescales" coming our way.  No matter what "sams Trains" whinges on about, where everything has to be matched in value to cheapo Oxford, i have been happy to receive my Rapido GPVs. 

So let us slip in Ironstone hoppers again !!!

TBH, I think Oxford are progressively "getting there" and their most recent wagons have been pretty darned good. The 12-ton tank is the least-compromised r-t-r model of a "traditional" tank wagon since the Airfix 20-tonner of yore, and the much-publicised brake-lever issue with the GER vans is (a) only noticeable under close inspection and (b) quite easy to fix if it bugs you enough to bother. The detail and finesse of the mouldings is up there with the best. 

OK, their NEM mounts are pretty horrible, but I chop them off anyway! 😀 Having seen the rather lovely open chassis they made for the tanks, I'd trust them with hoppers....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, I think Oxford are progressively "getting there" and their most recent wagons have been pretty darned good.

21 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Having seen the rather lovely open chassis they made for the tanks, I'd trust them with hoppers....

The question though is what if any changes Hornby has made/will make now that Oxford is entirely Hornby owned - it good be for the better or for the worse.

3 hours ago, mdvle said:

The question though is what if any changes Hornby has made/will make now that Oxford is entirely Hornby owned - it good be for the better or for the worse.

Oxford Rail are to provide updates in May apparently which should reveal all.

Bearing in mind we're still waiting for the other previously announced J class and the breakdown cranes, time will tell whether these are simply incorporated into the mainstream Hornby range as happened to the building range models.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There's been "some" off-topic posting on the Accurascale Manor thread, and it's been "suggested" that this one would be a more appropriate home for them.

Summary of Suggestions so far:

LMS Black Five

GWR Hawksworth County, Pannier tanks (various).

LSWR/SR Urie H15 4-6-0

John

• Like 2

Pannier tanks (various)

I'll take an singing, all dancing DCC Sound 8750 Pannier. I keep looking at the RT Models sander pull rods and other bits thinking "I could easily upgrade the details" but then want DCC Sound too which is a bit in the complex side for me.

Also if we do get a new pannier watch it be a 74XX as I have just received a 64xx to 74xx conversion commission back 🙄

Can I also throw into the mix a GWR 2251?

There's been "some" off-topic posting on the Accurascale Manor thread, and it's been "suggested" that this one would be a more appropriate home for them.

LMS Black Five

LSWR/SR Urie H15 4-6-0

John

A very enthusiastic vote for the County here!

LMS Black Five

LSWR/SR Urie H15 4-6-0

John

Add an updated airsmooth WC/ BoB class to that list.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2

Given Hornby is refreshing their black 5, I can’t see that happening.  Think a Saint was also mentioned (which is arguably a proto black 5…) as well.

I’d reckon they’d be more likely to pick a small ish tank engine not from the GWR.  How about a jinty?

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Given Hornby is refreshing their black 5, I can’t see that happening.  Think a Saint was also mentioned (which is arguably a proto black 5…) as well.

I’d reckon they’d be more likely to pick a small ish tank engine not from the GWR.  How about a jinty?

Agree on the Black Five. The 8F could be a better bet though.

Maybe the Bachmann Jinty isn't sufficiently off-the-pace to leave a big enough opening?

Somebody is doing a Brighton E1 for one of the magazines, probably not Accurascale, but I lost interest when I found they weren't also doing the Maunsell E1R rebuild of it. I'd go for a brace of those.

Top pick for me in tank engines would be the Urie H16 or the Maunsell W. Nobody has ever done or announced any Southern tank bigger than the M7 (unless you count the Leader which is a bit Rule One for almost anyone) so there's a goodly couple of gaps.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling