More model ideas

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agree on the Black Five. The 8F could be a better bet though.

Maybe the Bachmann Jinty isn't sufficiently off-the-pace to leave a big enough opening?

Somebody is doing a Brighton E1 for one of the magazines, probably not Accurascale, but I lost interest when I found they weren't also doing the Maunsell E1R rebuild of it. I'd go for a brace of those.

Top pick for me in tank engines would be the Urie H16 or the Maunsell W. Nobody has ever done or announced any Southern tank bigger than the M7 (unless you count the Leader which is a bit Rule One for almost anyone) so there's a goodly couple of gaps.

John

I'm convinced that the 8F is coming from Accurascale after seeing a rather suggestive tweet a number of weeks ago: 

count me in for far too many than my wallet can handle!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Given Hornby is refreshing their black 5, I can’t see that happening.  Think a Saint was also mentioned (which is arguably a proto black 5…) as well.

I’d reckon they’d be more likely to pick a small ish tank engine not from the GWR.  How about a jinty?

I'll have a tenner on it not being a loco of GWR/WR origin - which looks like leaving quite a bit of choice.  And I'll also have a reasonable punt on it not being of SR origin either.  Oh and a bit more money down on it being a model of something which is still extant - which still leaves plenty of choice to froth about and means that i won't have to invent some sort of amazing nonsense to explain a B16 deep in WR territory.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agree on the Black Five. The 8F could be a better bet though.

9 hours ago, thohurst said:

I'm convinced that the 8F is coming from Accurascale after seeing a rather suggestive tweet a number of weeks ago

How much commonality would there be between tooling a Black 5 and an 8F? Aren't they pretty much the same thing other than the wheels? Yes I know I am maybe being ignorant here, and if it was easy I expect Hornby would have done it with theirs.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

How much commonality would there be between tooling a Black 5 and an 8F? Aren't they pretty much the same thing other than the wheels? Yes I know I am maybe being ignorant here, and if it was easy I expect Hornby would have done it with theirs.

I think it would be a fair generalisation to say that, whilst the design philosophy was similar and the 8Fs bear a striking resemblance to Black 5s, there were many differences between them. Not only that but there were differences within both classes. To take only one example, I have three Hornby Black 5s from the latest tooling: one is domeless, one has the boiler feed just in front of the dome and one has the boiler feed closer to the smokebox than the dome. A separate tooling for each, I’d say.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

After a bit of further thought my thoughts for the next steam outline one are going to the dry side.  Possibly an 0-6-0 but a 2-6-0 or, even more so, a 4-6-0 strikes me as offering wider possibilities although the latter might only suit the post-war market.   Outside bet - a 4-4-0 from the Natoopnal Collection but commercially that might not fit with recent activity in respect of models of National Collection locos.

But there are massive gaps to fill in the 'moving the coal' theme so late RCH or BR 16tonner designs are edefinoitely on my list of 'wants'

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But there are massive gaps to fill in the 'moving the coal' theme so late RCH or BR 16tonner designs are edefinoitely on my list of 'wants'

I thought for just one minute Mike you were going to suggest an RSH 0-6-0 similar to the Hams Hall / Meaford etc power station locos !!!

Edited by Covkid
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not till they've done the welded type 21ton hoppers and the various rebuilds which are a genuine rtr gap (like the 21ton MDVs were) and not just a could-do-better. Heck, they could redo the rivetted type while they're at it as they'll need the NER-style underframes for rebuilds anyway.

I bang on about these wagons because they seem to be overlooked when people start lobbying for rare oddballs.  They were long lived in the same way that 16tonners were, similarly varied and latterly widespread in coal concentration use.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

After a bit of further thought my thoughts for the next steam outline one are going to the dry side.  Possibly an 0-6-0 but a 2-6-0 or, even more so, a 4-6-0 strikes me as offering wider possibilities although the latter might only suit the post-war market.   Outside bet - a 4-4-0 from the Natoopnal Collection but commercially that might not fit with recent activity in respect of models of National Collection locos.

Presumably you mean the post GreatbWar market.  But I thought you said you didn't think it was going to be a B16 😉

Edited by Flying Pig

On 15/04/2022 at 21:49, didcot said:

A 4-4-0 County, preferably 3815 County of Hants with a scale version of my Great Grandfather on the footplate. That and a County Tank please.

Actually this would tie in nicely with the new build County -  is it County of Montgomery that is being worked on at the moment ? Home - Churchward County Trust

An ideal choice for pulling those toplights recently announced !!!

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Actually this would tie in nicely with the new build County -  is it County of Montgomery that is being worked on at the moment ? Home - Churchward County Trust

An ideal choice for pulling those toplights recently announced !!!

For the recently announced and shown Toplight vehicles you would need a County Tank or a Metro.

The Class 60 certainly wouldn't go amiss, since Accurascale already have the Class 92 this would seem like the next logical step! 😉

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Premium

They got a few mentions over on the Deltic Thread as that started to career towards 'off-topic' land but has the Class 40 been mentioned here?

If the 55s & 37s are anything to go by, the 40s, given the AS treatment, would be a cracker!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Banger Blue said:

They got a few mentions over on the Deltic Thread as that started to career towards 'off-topic' land but has the Class 40 been mentioned here?

If the 55s & 37s are anything to go by, the 40s, given the AS treatment, would be a cracker!

Sorry, partly my fault! :D  Agree 100%. I could quite happily treat myself to one or 193. I already have 7 of the class represented so far. My absolute favourite diesel class of ‘em all!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

An 88 would be nice,just so i dont have to go out at 1.30am to see and get a toot,i could please the neighbours doing it in the loft.....

An 88 would be wonderful. New (well, nearly new) on the network and exciting. It would be good to have it done by someone who does motored pantos. No hint of one on the horizon. What a shame. Thanks for the video!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'd love an 88 or two as well!

With the FNA-Ds being done now it means pretty much everything they pull is available to buy too.

They also get about, I'm sure they have been into Norfolk for example, regulars down both ECML and WCML of course.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

an 88 would indeed be brilliant, however (please correct me if I'm wrong) it has been said by Accurascale themselves that there's already an agreement in place for another manufacturer to produce the 88? 

Not sure if my memory is serving me so well here, but I seem to remember seeing this somewhere.

Presumably, it would be Dapol considering they have the class 68 in their stable?

16 minutes ago, thohurst said:

an 88 would indeed be brilliant, however (please correct me if I'm wrong) it has been said by Accurascale themselves that there's already an agreement in place for another manufacturer to produce the 88? 

Not sure if my memory is serving me so well here, but I seem to remember seeing this somewhere.

Presumably, it would be Dapol considering they have the class 68 in their stable?

I'm sure it is said on here (on the 68 or 88 speculation thread) that Dapol tried to get the rights to the 88 when they got the 68 and DRS wouldn't do it (at that moment in time). Whether something has changed in the meantime I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1