More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was going to post that earlier but thought better of it!  😁

The logo looked like a BR symbol gone wrong though.....

spacer.png

Trouble is, only people of a certain age will know what the hell we’re talking about 😂

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Also 'an HTV' or 'a HTV'?

Simple, “an”.

The rule is you use “an” where the h is silent. The abbreviation used begins with the letter “h” which is spelt, and should be pronounced, as “aitch”.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/05/2022 at 06:56, The Black Prince said:

I think this may be a slight stretch as Bachmann and Hornby were very quick a few years ago to use a “different margin” for 66s to compete with Hattons. 

The Bachmann one "shed" £20-30 in the aftermath of the Hattons one being announced IIRC.

Whilst Bachmann could afford to do it with their variable cost of the loco, it might have meant they took a hit in covering overheads or generating profit (which is the purpose of the company believe it or not). They probably couldn't sit there and do nothing so the only option would be to make less money per loco.

Ultimately I believe they all sell stuff at what they think they can get away with, but given they have overheads to cover and need to make money can you actually blame them? If they had set prices simply based on the cost of manufacture/logistics and the age of the tooling/whatever then I think they'd all struggle to make money. Old tooling stuff probably keeps new tooling stuff appearing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Simple, “an”.

The rule is you use “an” where the h is silent. The abbreviation used begins with the letter “h” which is spelt, and should be pronounced, as “aitch”.

Ah, yes, but .... if you think of it as 'a Harlech Television' the aitch isn't silent and it must be 'a' .................... though I think there was only one anyway !

• RMweb Gold

I've decided to see if I can get this topic back on track (probably not 🤔) but I was watching a video on YouTube last night which showed D9009 in green, hauling the Belmond British Pullman (formally VSOE) and I though if anyone can do a outstanding version of this train, Accurascale can.  I know it's a very long shot, but it would be great if Accurascale gave it some serious thought, and then forget about it 😂

4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Belmond British Pullman

Aren't most of those coaches already available from Hornby other than the names? AFAIK its only the mk1 vans at the end (which are unique I think) that aren't already available tooling wise? Hornby even did the 67s!

Don't get me wrong, AS would maybe do a better job but Hornby Pullmans are generally good already AFAIK. I think there would be better charter trains to attack (ones that get around the nation more) such as the UK Railtours rake, which is mk2s with a special generator coach. I even think the Belmond Royal Scotsman would be a better shout as it does tour the whole nation.

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think there would be better charter trains to attack (ones that get around the nation more) such as the UK Railtours rake, which is mk2s with a special generator coach.

Do you mean the Mk2B BFK 17105 nee 14105 ?  Are Accurascale producing this vehicle in their Mk2B range ?

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Now if you could just pop out a HTA that would be grand

You don't often hear an accent like that outside the royal family.  For the rest of us that would be pronounced HTO.

• Funny 2

Hi All,

With the imminent arrival of the Deltic & the class 37’s making the artwork stage, this got me thinking, what’s next on the loco front for Accurascale.

Contemporary locomotives such as the class 69 have already been announced by another manufacturer.

So what about another loco originally introduced back in the 1960’s that could be produced to modern standards…..

With the Class 55 & Class 37 there similar components used so could these be used on any other loco?
Enter the Class 50.

Although already produced elsewhere (& TBF to a decent standard) I can see this being next on Accurascale’s ‘hit list’.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

With the imminent arrival of the Deltic & the class 37’s making the artwork stage, this got me thinking, what’s next on the loco front for Accurascale.

Contemporary locomotives such as the class 69 have already been announced by another manufacturer.

So what about another loco originally introduced back in the 1960’s that could be produced to modern standards…..

With the Class 55 & Class 37 there similar components used so could these be used on any other loco?
Enter the Class 50.

Although already produced elsewhere (& TBF to a decent standard) I can see this being next on Accurascale’s ‘hit list’.

Time will tell.

I would be looking beyond the class 50 myself, as I expect an announcement about that class shortly. 

What has clearly happened is Accurascale have entered the marketplace by initially offering a load of very nice wagons alongside the locos. Agree the deltic and 37 are 1960s developments and proved Accurascale's attitude to , the marketplace in that whatever has gone before, they believe they are able to surpass.

Then the Manor and subsequently class 31 were announced which reinforced the Accuracale subliminal message - for me at least.  Accurascale have announced the absolutely featured loaded class 31 at £169.99, substantially less than Hornby's warmed over product.  Why would you not ?

Likewise, if Accurascale were to announce a class 50, even at maybe £199.99 it would be so much more accurate than the current competition and I am sure would see the product falling off the shelves. Stick an Accurascale devised sound chip in it, then that really would be a sound investment for them (pun intended). 

Returning to the question - maybe a class 40    

the  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2022 at 11:52, Colin_McLeod said:

Brake hoses on wagons

What is the possibility of Accurascale developing brake pipes that join up. AS/IRM wagons are exquisite but to see then a train of fitted wagons travelling with their brake hoses not connected looks weird.

Perhaps some sort of flexible tube held to each other magnetically.

Such an accessory could be sold generally for other wagons as well as AS.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

With the imminent arrival of the Deltic & the class 37’s making the artwork stage, this got me thinking, what’s next on the loco front for Accurascale?…..

…..Time will tell.

Interesting observations, but possibly before the class 50 could be something Great Western, remember they teased a while ago that they had been to Didcot again….. Perhaps something to sit alongside the Siphon van?

Clearly a Great Western pannier tank would be nice, but I think that would be a way off just yet….. other items are possibly in the queue ahead of it….

All guess work on my part of course, apart from the comment about a trip to Didcot 😎

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

I guess with all these lovely wagons landing, there will be new tools in the not to distant future 🤞

I was thinking the same.

I might have made this up but didn't A/S say they will/would only announce something new when a new product hits the shelves? Although I guess this is all dependant on getting EPs from China and the production of a slick announcement video we all know and love

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

I was thinking the same.

I might have made this up but didn't A/S say they will/would only announce something new when a new product hits the shelves? Although I guess this is all dependant on getting EPs from China and the production of a slick announcement video we all know and love

We'll only announce when the product is at at least, first Engineering Prototype, so all the initial tooling, work, etc is done, and the model 'should' be under a year away from delivery. We don't believe in trying to 'land grab' models with photos, or CAD and would rather provide the shortest possible window from launch to delivery.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Having spent the last couple of weeks tinkering with (OO) shunters it occurs to me that we are long overdue a chassis upgrade/re-tool for the venerable 08.  With technology as it is now a ground-up re-think would surely get sound, a decent speaker and built-in stay-alive straight out of the factory and you don't get much more universal appeal or timescale than these little locos....one for the Accura-treatment, perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

And how about some accurate match wagons for the class 03 and other smaller shunters? Please.

But with so many one offs, and modified types, from NER to LU stock, what would you class as an accurate match wagon that could be used across types? 
Always up for for the niche and quirky, and I have my own ideas on this score, so interested to hear (and see) what options you might have in mind :-)

33 minutes ago, Islesy said:

But with so many one offs, and modified types, from NER to LU stock, what would you class as an accurate match wagon that could be used across types? 
Always up for for the niche and quirky, and I have my own ideas on this score, so interested to hear (and see) what options you might have in mind :-)

I always presumed (incorrectly), that they were conflat A wagons. Apparently there was a different conflat that was more commonly used, F I think. Turns out as you say, it depends on the region the shunter was based in, as too what sort of wagon was used. I read a different thread on it a while ago and was surprised of the variety of wagons used. 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

I always presumed (incorrectly), that they were conflat A wagons

The Conflat A was chosen at H to partner the 48DS purely because it added very little to the price point, rather than actually being ‘correct’. Converted bogies were quite popular (the LU 0-6-0 Sentinels used such a conversion), so there’s plenty of options that could serve as a staring point.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Islesy said:

..... Converted bogies were quite popular (the LU 0-6-0 Sentinels used such a conversion), ......

Those carried sleet brushes for snow & ice clearance as well as being attached for track circuit purposes ..... I'm not aware of any other bogies used with locos.

• Thanks 1