More model ideas

On 07/05/2022 at 21:02, Gary H said:

I wonder if there would be any market for some more early Freight Liner flats, namely the FFA and FGA?

I wasn't interested in them when Bachmann done them, now I am, they seem like hens teeth, which is typical.  You can find the 'outer' buffered examples still, but the 'inners' seem non existent.

Doesn't look as though Bachmann are interested in doing anymore. 

Not helped by the fact that in typical Bachmann fashion they only did one inner when I believe they ran in sets of five?! 

This is where the new manufacturers lead the way in my opinion, by offering multiple running numbers so you can assemble a rake early on rather than being drip fed as Bachmann do. 

I’d like a rake or two of four or five sets each but I’ll not buy the Bachmann ones (or much else of theirs now) as it just takes them too long to release things and would rather do without.

An Accurascale model would be welcomed by me also, likely to be better overall and better value, and I’m prepared to wait for that or just continue to do without! 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Global said:

Not helped by the fact that in typical Bachmann fashion they only did one inner when I believe they ran in sets of five?! 

This is where the new manufacturers lead the way in my opinion, by offering multiple running numbers so you can assemble a rake early on rather than being drip fed as Bachmann do. 

I’d like a rake or two of four or five sets each but I’ll not buy the Bachmann ones (or much else of theirs now) as it just takes them too long to release things and would rather do without.

An Accurascale model would be welcomed by me also, likely to be better overall and better value, and I’m prepared to wait for that or just continue to do without! 

To be fair, the running numbers of freightliner flats would hardly be noticeable when they get covered in grot pretty quickly. Its not necessarily the how many different inner wagons are released at a time, but production quantities that'd matter. Having said that, more variety of containers would be nice and I'm really surprised they haven't been produced again. Either way, I cant see it being something that another manufacturer would pick up when there's already a Bachmann tooling

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Global said:

Like the JJAs then where (assuming run sizes are identical) the non generator ones are at a 4:3 ratio (IIRC) with generator ones, in real life 4:1!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

Back in the good ol' days of Hornby Dublo and Triang, NOTHING was sold as sets so you could purchase whatever vehicles you needed - and they were in the catalogue for donkeys years without any danger of your favourite item disappearing from the shelves overnight ..................................................................... mind you, your choice of favourite item was somewhat extremely limited by today's standards.

Edited by Wickham Green too

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

To be fair, the running numbers of freightliner flats would hardly be noticeable when they get covered in grot pretty quickly. Its not necessarily the how many different inner wagons are released at a time, but production quantities that'd matter. Having said that, more variety of containers would be nice and I'm really surprised they haven't been produced again. Either way, I cant see it being something that another manufacturer would pick up when there's already a Bachmann tooling

I fear you are right. 

I've been spoilt last few years in having H0 scale intermodal trains in every different flavour out there!!

Dozens of differently liveried containers aplenty by at least 3 manufacturers!! I've recently sold the lot to embark on a new layout and finding hard to source the basics such as the above.

There are ofcourse modern equivalents, but they out of my era.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Global said:

They did only seem to scrape the surface of the type, didn't they!

Odd really, as I'm sure that more would be equally popular when they released them.  C-Rail must be very happy though.😅

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/05/2022 at 12:27, Wickham Green too said:

Back in the good ol' days of Hornby Dublo and Triang, NOTHING was sold as sets so you could purchase whatever vehicles you needed - and they were in the catalogue for donkeys years without any danger of your favourite item disappearing from the shelves overnight

Back in the good ol' days very few wagons ran in fixed sets (apart from the likes of conger girder wagons).

I can't imagine anyone attempting a FFA/FGA whilst Bachmann sit on their tooling. The later FSA/FTA set on the other hand... (C=Rail hare doing it in N, don't think I've seen anything in OO).

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2022 at 12:27, Wickham Green too said:

Back in the good ol' days of Hornby Dublo and Triang, NOTHING was sold as sets so you could purchase whatever vehicles you needed - and they were in the catalogue for donkeys years without any danger of your favourite item disappearing from the shelves overnight ..................................................................... mind you, your choice of favourite item was somewhat extremely limited by today's standards.

Agreed. The point nowadays is to grab what you want while you can, because we have no idea when a second run may be made.

That's tough on people whose interests only light on a prototype after the models have sold out, but that's what swap-meets and on-line auction sites are for....

John

Freight:

Class 56s (pre-ordered 074 from Cavelex)

Class 58s

Class 60s

HAA/HBA/HCA wagons (pre-ordered some HAAs from Accurascale)

Passenger:

Class 141s

Class 142s

Class 144s

Class 150s

5 hours ago, JN said:

Passenger:

Class 141s

Class 142s

Class 144s

Class 150s

Realtrack have done several runs of their Class 144 model, it is new enough that I doubt there would be a market for a 2nd company to offer a high end model.

Realtrack are also currently doing the 142, they have shown CAD drawings in their section of RMweb and are taking orders - again doubtful the market would support 2 high end models.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Realtrack have done several runs of their Class 144 model, it is new enough that I doubt there would be a market for a 2nd company to offer a high end model.

Realtrack are also currently doing the 142, they have shown CAD drawings in their section of RMweb and are taking orders - again doubtful the market would support 2 high end models.

Thank you.

• Like 1

My latest very selfish list of ideas (only not 100% serious on one of them)... 

Steam...

Pannier (many variants possible) 

Black 5 (as struggle to understand Hornbys pricing, quality and attitude) 

Diesel/electric 

HST (significant improvements can be made on Hornbys model in my opinion) 

442 wessex (borrowing from hst tooling) 

73 (struggle with dapols effort) 

Coaches

Mk2a

Mk2c

Mk3

Wagons

Seacows

Misc

Thomas the tank. Would suit the detail and multiple variations accurascale typically tool for

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Much that I hate the thing, can we get the terminology correct, please - what you're referring to is 'Thomas the Tank Engine'(c) ....... Thomas the tank is camouflage green, has a gun barrel instead of boiler barrel, brings its own tracks with it ................ etc.etc. !

Why does this matter? 

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, MoonM said:

Thomas the tank. Would suit the detail and multiple variations accurascale typically tool for

Except, of course, there’s really only one character train that needs to be done, as all others are pale imitations…

Psssh-ti-cof, Psssh-ti-cof, Psssh-ti-cof….. 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My latest list of suggestions would be: 

Steam

8F, Black 5, J21, Hall, Standard 4MT-T... Bagnall Victor/Vulcan

Diesel

HST, Class 50, Class 40

Units

Class 185, Turbostar's 170/171, Voyagers 220,221,222, Class 153/155, Class 141, wildcard - class 151. 

Stock, 

NER clerestory, NER matchboard, Chaldron wagons
Mk.3 HST stock
Continuous welded rail trainset, Bogie Scrap Wagons (JNX?)

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the Class 40. I could make do with just the class 37 bodyshells for now as a source of cabs to be grafted onto existing class 40s of varying origins. Cut and shut stylee!

19 hours ago, MoonM said:

Diesel/electric 

HST (significant improvements can be made on Hornbys model in my opinion) 

I suspect someone will do this (or more accurately is already working on this) it is just more a question of when rather than if.

See Rails of Sheffield, hints are that a positive announcement regarding their project will come at some point.

Never get the licensing because a) the license holder won't see any need for 2 competing products and b) the idea of a high end detailed model which is inherently kid unsafe won't work for a product primarily aimed at kids.

• Agree 5

7 minutes ago, mdvle said:

I suspect someone will do this (or more accurately is already working on this) it is just more a question of when rather than if.

See Rails of Sheffield, hints are that a positive announcement regarding their project will come at some point.

Never get the licensing because a) the license holder won't see any need for 2 competing products and b) the idea of a high end detailed model which is inherently kid unsafe won't work for a product primarily aimed at kids.

Here's hoping on the first two. Might have been kidding on the third

13 minutes ago, mdvle said:

...... the idea of a high end detailed model which is inherently kid unsafe won't work for a product primarily aimed at kids.

Hmmm ....... an interesting concept there  -  would that be a high end detailed model of one of the ( many ) preserved locos that have masqueraded as TtTE - or a high end detailed model of a low end detail-sparse toy loco used on the telly ( or of its original book illustrations ) ?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Hmmm ....... an interesting concept there  -  would that be a high end detailed model of one of the ( many ) preserved locos that have masqueraded as TtTE - or a high end detailed model of a low end detail-sparse toy loco used on the telly ( or of its original book illustrations ) ?

You miss: a high-end detailed model of the actual locos on which The Rev W Awdry based his creations on. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Much that I hate the thing, can we get the terminology correct, please - what you're referring to is 'Thomas the Tank Engine'(c) ....... Thomas the tank is camouflage green, has a gun barrel instead of boiler barrel, brings its own tracks with it ................ etc.etc. !

I can confirm that “Thomas the Tank” is indeed blue and not camouflage green!

70C80AD1-63AA-461A-B5FB-8E98CA0B4A97.jpeg.9cae5c6bb8fb5387b54a47711abe5879.jpeg

• Funny 6