More model ideas

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

NPCCS is always a good bet, wandering widely in the BR era, but to some extent, even before that. 

There's an opening for a correctly proportioned LMS Stove R with the right-size wheels....

John 

Sausages!

If anyone can get a RTR Stove to go around "train set" curves then a Palethorpes six wheeled sausage van would be a nice spin off.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Sausages!

If anyone can get a RTR Stove to go around "train set" curves then a Palethorpes six wheeled sausage van would be a nice spin off.

Jason

With Generic 6-wheel coaches now being a thing, that should be a doddle. Also, we can trust Accurascale to make a Stove to the correct width and a Sausage/Milk van to the correct length....

The Dapol-for-Hornby-Magazine vans are compromised way more than is needed to go round even No.1 curves. Mine appear capable of negotiating the edge of a dinner plate; approximately 5-inch radius!

The Hornby arrangement works quite well but is needlessly unsightly.

John

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 60800 said:

Wild speculation hmm?

Pic unrelated 😉

FB_IMG_1654252218721.jpg.9292c629b0ceb5e06d99692ab4c727f9.jpg

Joking aside, I'd like to see another steam entry in the form of an L&Y Aspinall A class or Barton-Wright class 25. The latter could also lead on to a class 23 and there just happens to be one of each mentioned classes preserved.

Cheers,

Having wrestled with my Hornby Class 50s last week fitting DCC to them, I for one would love an Accurascale Hoover! I have said it before on this thread, along with a Class 40.

The 31 was a nice surprise. I never thought of that one, but have 3 on order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think it will be a motorised vehicle. Whilst the Deltics have arrived, I think the lads have got their hands full with the Class 92s, Manors, Class 37s and Class 31s still to deliver. Maybe a new loco/multiple unit at Warley in November? 

For Monday, my moneys on a new freight wagon, or a Mark 2c coach, or coaches that perhaps the Manors hauled in their early years... 

Whatever, its always exciting when Accurascale have a new announcement...

4 hours ago, 60800 said:

A little bit left field due to a certain manufacturer having always had a monopoly on the class, but; 

An A4 Pacific. 

The Hornby model has plenty of accuracy and detail shortcomings, especially around the front end and specifically the cylinders.

Given that manufacturer's recent colossal price hikes and a number of variants that have not been done for at least a decade, I reckon Accurascale could be on to a winner. Imagine this for a first run;

Silver Link in *as built* condition with straight handrails, recessed front coupling and faired in tender

Silver Fox in single chimney, early crest BR green as per the Elizabethan 

Mallard in British Railways Garter Blue as E22

Sir Nigel and Bittern in LNER Garter blue with no valances as running in the 1960's

4489 as Woodcock in photo grey / apple green

Union of South Africa in full coronation fitment 

Kingfisher in final condition 

All the above (and many more) have never been done by Hornby (and only two were done by Bachmann). Coronation livery has never been done properly. The modern fitments on the preserved locos and things like like the brake pipes running down the left hand running board and brake cylinders under the leading driver etc have never been done. The valve gear has never been done accurately and we've never had cylinders or bufferbeam streamlining that correctly cuts under (which I know is not achievable in RTR for valanced locos without having alternate bits to swap out).

It's an open goal for Accurascale if you ask me. 

255695769_PXL_20220421_164049618.NIGHT2.jpg.ce8476d611fa4b5a496a57a20d941274.jpg

Cheers,

Not to change the topic away from accurascale items but I've gotta say your A4 of sir nigel gresely Is amazing. Can I ask what the base model was?

Regards Gary 

1 hour ago, gary_lner said:

Not to change the topic away from accurascale items but I've gotta say your A4 of sir nigel gresely Is amazing. Can I ask what the base model was?

Regards Gary 

Hi Gary, this one was made out of spares - the only thing I had to buy was a loco body. It's mostly current tool Hornby, but the tender top was from a GBL Flying Scotsman, with wire handrails added. Since the new body I bought was valanced, I had to cut away the valances and scratchbuild the details underneath and the smokebox access hatches. 

If you wanted to do it directly from a Hornby model though, something like 60029 which turns up on eBay fairly frequently would suit 🙂

No-one does the correct '9' in that Yellow, so ones I fitted are the closest I could get. 

710031524_PXL_20220421_163843955.NIGHT2.thumb.jpg.bbe870919c83553d0fd7fb6ed9b09b9e.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

That “Jeep” is just about as British as Irish railways get!🤪

Quite right. The only Irish thing about it is the gauge. It slots in very nicely after the Fowler and before the Stanier in that long sequence of superb 2-6-4Ts which began with Fowler and ended with the Standard 4 Tank. Parallel boiler, like the Fowler, because the NCC used a parallel boiler on the Mogul. Enclosed cab like the last thirty Fowlers and the first Staniers. Look also at the double reverse curve at the bottom of the tank, shared with the Standard. The chap who had a hand in designing them (I cannot for the life of me remember his name) moved to Brighton, where he sneaked that feature onto the Standards. It must have been one of the very earliest steam locomotives to have a rocking grate. It ran on the LMS (NCC) mainline between Belfast and Derry. It might not have been designed to run in Great Britain but it was designed to run in Britain. (There’s pedantry for you.) The preserved example is, as far as I know, in Dublin at the moment; it certainly has been there recently. An ideal opportunity for the Accurascale/IRM chaps to crawl all over it. I mentioned it to Fran at an exhibition and he didn’t blink an eye. Never play poker with Fran!

On the other hand, the surviving example isn’t blue. The GNR(I) painted its expresses blue and there are a couple of blue GNR locomotives preserved, including the only working compound in the British Isles. Have you noticed the rake of RPSI (Railway Preservation Society of Ireland) green Mk. IIs offered by IRM? I shan’t sleep a wink now until Monday.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

I'm not really concerned with what Accurascale produce but can they please come up with an easier way to fit batteries for the wagon tail lights. Or provide pick up from the track.

we improved the HYA tail lamps from the PTa version and now have the magnetic wand switches rather than manual and easy access to the battery area. In the next iteration we’ll also simplify the battery type and battery holder. 

All coaches have track pick up and supercapacitor as standard as every bogie and vehicle has lighting. With wagons when only one wagon has a lamp it’s cost and accuracy prohibitive to tool up for track pickups. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, Class 304/305/308/504 based on modular tooling. Bouncy Castles with dusty seats and smoking compartments for when I was young and daft! Well, dafter than today!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It might not have been designed to run in Great Britain but it was designed to run in the British Isles. (There’s pedantry for you.)

Even more pedantically fixed that for you ;) Britain and Great Britain are synonyms.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, frobisher said:

Even more pedantically fixed that for you ;) Britain and Great Britain are synonyms.

I beg to disagree. “Britain” is shorthand for the UK. “Great Britain” signifies England, Scotland and Wales. It isn’t worth fighting in a ditch over, though, as Great Britain and even England are frequently misused to mean the UK.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I beg to disagree. “Britain” is shorthand for the UK. “Great Britain” signifies England, Scotland and Wales. It isn’t worth fighting in a ditch over, though, as Great Britain and even England are frequently misused to mean the UK.

No, Britain is Great Britain only. See https://www.britannica.com/story/whats-the-difference-between-great-britain-and-the-united-kingdom

Roy

• RMweb Gold

But, just to add more confusion cars from (almost) all parts of the United Kingdom traditionally carry "GB" plates when being used abroad. 

Great Britain is indeed the large island containing  just the English/Scottish/Welsh mainland. 

However, whilst "Britain" is "officially" a synonym, that understanding is probably redundant (in at least one sense of the word).

In common usage, "Britain" is nowadays more frequently taken as synonymous with the United Kingdom as a whole, including Northern Ireland and all the smaller islands. 

John

• Agree 1