More model ideas

12 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

If you follow that link to the Murdoch on Hatton's website and scroll down and look at what people also purchased as well as Murdoch. Why would they buy N gauge couplings for a 00 gauge locomotive?

Maybe they bought the Murdoch as a present? It is meant as a kids toy which was the point I was trying to make. Even though it was meant as a toy it was more expensive than a regular Hornby 9F.

Maybe they model in other scales as well? Over the years I've modelled in 00, O, N, 009. If I buy an item then presumably the software that Hattons is using is linking those items to other items. 

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's just like Amazon saying "People who bought this book also bought this DVD".

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

If you follow that link to the Murdoch on Hatton's website and scroll down and look at what people also purchased as well as Murdoch. Why would they buy N gauge couplings for a 00 gauge locomotive?

'Cos anybody who bought that lump of post-Awdry fantasy doesn't know any better?🤢

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I now don't buy locos without already having stock for them to pull, and I don't buy coaches if I don't already have something to pull them! 

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? 😄

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A sudden idea I had was track, in particular points. Whilst the Peco range is good & other ranges are fine or good, all the points available are 'model railway' or 'toy trainset' in size & design.

What about some real points, better detail, much longer as on the real railway, realistic mechanisms & locking systems, point heaters & a built in point motor just like the real thing, simple enough to operate off any contemporary DCC/DC system?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, reddragon said:

A sudden idea I had was track, in particular points. Whilst the Peco range is good & other ranges are fine or good, all the points available are 'model railway' or 'toy trainset' in size & design.

What about some real points, better detail, much longer as on the real railway, realistic mechanisms & locking systems, point heaters & a built in point motor just like the real thing, simple enough to operate off any contemporary DCC/DC system?

Already been discussed up-thread and concluded that this was not really an Accurascale thing.

Roy

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, reddragon said:

Excuse my ignorance but what length should a prototypical point be, both 1:1 and 1:76? Just asking out of interest thats all 🤔

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Excuse my ignorance but what length should a prototypical point be, both 1:1 and 1:76? Just asking out of interest thats all 🤔

They are all different sizes and depends on the speed required through the turnout. Some short ones can be as low as 5/10 mph within yards, whilst those in the main running lines can be 100mph + and will obviously be much bigger as the turnout is much shallower..

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

There is no simple answer as there are so many lengths of prototypical points.  By memory, a B6 point (about as short as you would want to go) is a bit above 260mm and a B7 point is about 290mm.

I am sure somebody will have some more precise figures.

Roy

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Already been discussed up-thread and concluded that this was not really an Accurascale thing.

Roy

There’s also the fact that Accurascale isn’t the be all and end all of model manufacturers.

Don’t get me wrong, Accurascale have made some fantastic models (I have several of them and more on order) and there’s certainly models that fit them perfectly, but doesn’t mean that they should make absolutely everything as a lot of people think, although I do understand why they do.

I wish Accurascale every success, but we should give all the manufacturers a chance to do as well, rather than simply say “Accurascale should be the ones to make that” for everything.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

wish Accurascale every success, but we should give all the manufacturers a chance to do as well, rather than simply say “Accurascale should be the ones to make that” for everything.

Thanks Simon, it will take us time to continue scaling our ranges and while we've released more new tooled models probably that any other UK manufacturer in the last 5 years, we have some distance to travel before we can be all things to all men :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The thing is, how many people would actually want prototypically long pointwork anyway? High speed points will probably be about 1m long (edit, just measured the points at Colton Junction and they are about 100 yards long per point, 120 odd for a crossing)

Regardless of ASs willingness to consider track full stop, I aren't sure it would be wise to tool up loads of pointwork longer than what Peco already do. I don't even think it would be really good for compact depot/yard diorama layouts, which typically are some of the most realistic layouts, as there's lots of pointwork on them.

Likewise I doubt the market for closer than 50mm centres will be small due to how it limits bend radii. FWIW 2 Hornby 800s need about 1m radius to meet at 50mm spacing.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In real life, all that good looking and running pointwork is mostly custom built for any given location. In order to replicate that kind of appearance and good running the only option is handbuilt track. No ready-to-lay track can ever get close to that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, McC said:

Thanks Simon, it will take us time to continue scaling our ranges and while we've released more new tooled models probably that any other UK manufacturer in the last 5 years, we have some distance to travel before we can be all things to all men :) 

You have released the only models I'm willing to pay full price new for and with sound too on locos!

DCC sound fitted coaches & wagons, hmmm.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, reddragon said:

DCC sound fitted coaches & wagons, hmmm.

Aaah .......... the long lost symphony of an unfitted freight buffering up and snatching as the driver spots the signal clearing from Danger !

( Now, what was the code for the third wagon from the end ? - I think I've got it out of sequence ! )

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 20/05/2022 at 10:41, SteamingWales said:

Google Maps has a measure feature* which can be used to get a rough measure of anything you want.

I just measured the points at Paignton to allow incoming trains to get from the down to up tracks - about 210' or about 2.75' in OO.  So call it 3' in OO, or about a yard/metre for the pair.

* - go to Google Maps, switch to satellite view.  Move mouse pointer to the starting point and right-click, then left click at the end point - Google will give you the distance in both imperial and metric.  Another right click will give the option to clear the measurement.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Brake hoses on wagons

What is the possibility of Accurascale developing brake pipes that join up. AS/IRM wagons are exquisite but to see then a train of fitted wagons travelling with their brake hoses not connected looks weird.

Perhaps some sort of flexible tube held to each other magnetically.

Such an accessory could be sold generally for other wagons as well as AS.

• Like 4