Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Exeter isn't a terminus.

This sort of thing has a certain charm - it's even got Webbed feet:

image.png.ea0a4b9dc6c33d57b2b759a6224eb4e8.png

[http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html - I do like the way that page is called "nopanniers".]

Drive will climb back onto the footplate and get Fire to put a couple of rounds into the box along with a pile of oily rags.

A bit of blower, and the photographer will be well pleased.

The lady who's just hung out her washing?

Probably less so

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I posted this on another thread.

Watch for the idiot at 0:50 who takes a 'wrong turning' and tries to drive down the river.

Personally I just love the recovery technique at 1m 10s - that sounded very, very expensive....

I daresay the locals make a nice little earner recovering cars.

The first car was less than happy about being filmed :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Personally I just love the recovery technique at 1m 10s - that sounded very, very expensive....

I daresay the locals make a nice little earner recovering cars.

The first car was less than happy about being filmed :laugh:

Thats the very car that took the wrong turning and tried to drive down the river.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I posted this on another thread.

Watch for the idiot at 0:50 who takes a 'wrong turning' and tries to drive down the river.

Most of the vehicles that failed should have got through, but it was down to poor driving technique.  Almost invariable the entry speed is far too high and causes a bow wave, this causes the driver to lift off the power.  Lifting off causes a vacuum in the exhaust manifold which then sucks water up into the engine.  Then you are Jomo Kenyatta'd.

• Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It looks as if the spectators at Rufford Ford are in a garden. I wonder if its a private garden or attached to a pub?

The spectators are either on the footbridge over the river or in the Abbey Mill complex which overlooks it.  They should sell tickets.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Some cars have a really small wading depth. I think some of the BMW cars have something like 20cm. My Evoque is 50cm as were my Freelanders. The only fords I can recall going through were on my bicycle when I was a child. We didn’t mind getting wet. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, John Besley said:

A good old Defender can go as deep as the snorkel will let you if the electrics are sealed and the crankcase breathers are raised

Been there with water swilling around in the foot wells as long as you have yer wellies on...

According to the man at the off road Land Rover experience we went to,  the new Land Rovers float away if the water is too deep. The older models sink. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

have driven through plenty of flood water though

The last flood I went through was in Kent. It was quite obvious that the water was deeper on one side of the road. As nothing was coming the other way, I moved to the shallow side. The car behind me decided to “undertake” me through the deeper water, probably as I was proceeding carefully and not quickly. They didn’t make it. It was a Golf GTI. They make a sort of chugging sound as they stop in water. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Funny 18

The Harley Davidson WLA supplied to the US Army, and many other armies after D Day had a simple kit of parts consisting of an extended crankcase breather and s-shaped exhaust extension which allowed it to wade through around 40cm of water. 

It didn't see much use, because the Jeep did the job much better. However 1950s enduro riders in events like the Jack Pine showed the basic idea was sound. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

According to the man at the off road Land Rover experience we went to,  the new Land Rovers float away if the water is too deep. The older models sink. 

The best one was when my son and I went green laneing and found a deep flood that pushed a bow wave ahead of us that broke over the bonnet top... however the lane ended abruptly on a A road... guess where our river ended up - mud and bits of rubble :blink: 

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have never driven through a ford and I have been driving since 1997. I remember going through some on holiday in various areas when we were kids.

I have driven through plenty of flood water though

One of my very earliest car memories is of washing our family's Austin Maxi in a ford near our home during the '76 drought.  It was/is on a very quiet Pembrokeshire lane; at about age 11 my mate and I were cycling around there and kept riding through faster and faster until the inevitable happened.  For a few seconds he wasn't moving and I genuinely thought he was really hurt, it turned out he was frozen with laughter (and soaking wet).

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, John Besley said:

mud and bits of rubble 

Not really having been anywhere muddy this year I did have to clean moss and spider poo off my Evoque before it went for the annual service and MoT earlier this month. 

• Friendly/supportive 11

Our Jeep is supposed to be good for 30 inches but they recommend no more than 19. I'd be inclined to keep well under 12 inches.

Inhaling water into an engine air intake is an excellent way to break a crankshaft or bend a connecting rod. The absence of throttles on diesel engines makes them even more susceptible. Not sure how EV's do in water.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Most modern cars are hermetically sealed and float like a boat in water. About the only older car that would float was the VW beetle, until the rust got in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

until the rust got in.

Which it did with a vengeance sooner rather than later if the 5 yr old one my brother bought in the 70’s was anything to go by.  The weight of filler replacing rust would have sunk it like a stone in seconds!

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Most modern cars are hermetically sealed and float like a boat in water. About the only older car that would float was the VW beetle, until the rust got in.

Someone attached an outboard to one and crossed the Tay in it.  It was about 60 years ago.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1