FIVE79/Chivers Finelines - N Gauge Blue Spot Fish Van is BACK! Page 9

2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

All 5 of my photos are on the mainline. The place and date of photography clearly stated as always. 

Paul

Excellent, thanks Paul. I should have read the notes on the pictures! 

Your images are an excellent source of prototype information! We quoted the site as reference material in the instructions. 

Many Thanks 

Matt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cwmtwrch said:

I had thought that this [and the outwardly identical D1973 - the different diagrams are for different materials] was likely to be very difficult to do as a plastic kit, so your news was very interesting, but turned out to be rather disappointing when I looked at your website. I don't know if you realised it or not, but the side stanchions are "I" beams, and the corner plates are flat to the ends, but spaced off the sides. A shame, I feel, as I too like and have built several of your kits, but, for me, this would take too much work to achieve an accurate model.

Yes we fully understand what you mean, we looked at various methods to achieve what you say, none we were happy with. 

What you need is a Dia1973 to start from…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

I had thought that this [and the outwardly identical D1973 - the different diagrams are for different materials] was likely to be very difficult to do as a plastic kit, so your news was very interesting, but turned out to be rather disappointing when I looked at your website. I don't know if you realised it or not, but the side stanchions are "I" beams, and the corner plates are flat to the ends, but spaced off the sides. A shame, I feel, as I too like and have built several of your kits, but, for me, this would take too much work to achieve an accurate model.

I am not going to allow Matthew to field all your criticism alone because it was me who chose the prototype. I saw a picture of a mineral train near Rose Grove with this unusual wagon breaking up the regularity of the outline and said modellers need one of them. I had already fallen foul of the “reverse T strapping” catch by mistaking a shadow for a solid object. In the end it’s modeller’s licence!

Roger

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Surely you realise that it would be nigh-on impossible to reproduce the offset flanges of the reinforcing by injection moulding?

Fortunately, I suspect that most purchasers of this kit will forgive the barely noticeable subtefuge.

As I said

12 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

I had thought that this [and the outwardly identical D1973 - the different diagrams are for different materials] was likely to be very difficult to do as a plastic kit,

I know very little about the technical aspects of plastic kit moulding, but I've built rather a lot of them over the years, and seen what works, and sometimes what doesn't. I had always assumed that the outer part of the 'I' section and the corners would have to be moulded separately [additional masters, moulds  and costs], and that they and the corners would potentially be fragile and difficult to positively locate, hence my original comment. So far as "barely noticeable" is concerned, this is very subjective; having seen it, I would have to do something about it to match the standard of other kits I've built, which is where I came in - too many other things to do and not enough years left...

Edited by Cwmtwrch
additional words
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

As I said

I know very little about the technical aspects of plastic kit moulding, but I've built rather a lot of them over the years, and seen what works, and sometimes what doesn't. I had always assumed that the outer part of the 'I' section and the corners would have to be moulded separately [additional masters, moulds  and costs], and that they and the corners would potentially be fragile and difficult to positively locate, hence my original comment. So far as "barely noticeable" is concerned, this is very subjective; having seen it, I would have to do something about it to match the standard of other kits I've built, which is where I came in - too many other things to do and not enough years left...

I too noticed your observation, but, fully accept that, to enable an economical enough model to be produced some subterfuge is needed.

Personally, I'd rather lump the fact that the bracing is  inaccurate dimensionally as it won't be noticeable at normal viewing distances, and it saves the job of possibly re attaching fine T sections when they break/fall off.

The well known advantages of Matts kits, ease of assembly, no blobs where there should be moulded detail, price etc, far outweigh minor details like this, so much so that I have 3 on their way to me.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

OUT NOW! New 009 Kit.

RC814 - 009 Tramway Bogie C class van kit - £10.00 + p&p
https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/shop/p/rc814-009-tramway-bogie-c-class-van-kit

This kit is designed to produce a 20ft Tramway bogie van largely based on the C Class Van that ran on the Innisfail Tramway in Queensland Australia. The kit was designed from the drawings of Jim Fainges.
The kit requires 6.2mm wheels, Couplers, paint to finish. (Supplied with correct screw for bogies).

RC814a.png.3e68d9aeca4cc26663793333623e926d.png

RC814d.png.a4bf8e485924d1ac0d2c7c215f0d3def.png

RC814c.png.64dbd37b6a4cffe20f68c5f49c51666a.png

RC814b.png.7b8cc83121e6410aeaa717d0a28eaf14.png

And a picture with our H class open wagon kit....

RC814e.png.6fe1a2f9c572cb44faf13a520ab716a1.png

• Like 7

• Chivers Finelines changed the title to FIVE79/Chivers Finelines - NEW KIT- RC814 - 009 Tramway Bogie C class van kit - Page 9
  • 1 month later...

Back in Production and Available NOW!!

RC966 - N GAUGE BR BLUE SPOT FISH VAN KIT - £10 + p&p

https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/shop/p/rc966-n-gauge-br-blue-spot-fish-van-kit

This kit is designed to produce a model of the BR Dia 800 Blue Spot Fish Van after it had been fitted with roller bearings in 1957.

A complete article about BR Fish Vans was published in British Railway Modelling for December 2000.

They were numbered in the E87000- E87499 series, but only 275 were fitted with roller bearings for the dedicated blue spot trains. After the decline of fish traffic they were reclassified as SPV or NRV for express parcels service.

The kit requires 6.2mm wheels and Peco Couplings to Complete.

RC966a.png.2e21d9b5c4550e5c73c25170470dcf44.png

RC966b.png.69ea5534d8c0d0be7a42de94c6b3a7ea.png

RC966c.png.3305cf79d7792c3fd0062a6d3451d0b1.png

RC966d.png.324322f19d155e399aedf9307f950362.png

RC966e.png.6ff871dee43624f1630064f971a7d8a8.png

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• Chivers Finelines changed the title to FIVE79/Chivers Finelines - N Gauge Blue Spot Fish Van is BACK! Page 9
1 hour ago, Chivers Finelines said:

Back in Production and Available NOW!!

RC966 - N GAUGE BR BLUE SPOT FISH VAN KIT - £10 + p&p

https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/shop/p/rc966-n-gauge-br-blue-spot-fish-van-kit

This kit is designed to produce a model of the BR Dia 800 Blue Spot Fish Van after it had been fitted with roller bearings in 1957.

A complete article about BR Fish Vans was published in British Railway Modelling for December 2000.

They were numbered in the E87000- E87499 series, but only 275 were fitted with roller bearings for the dedicated blue spot trains. After the decline of fish traffic they were reclassified as SPV or NRV for express parcels service.

The kit requires 6.2mm wheels and Peco Couplings to Complete.

RC966a.png.2e21d9b5c4550e5c73c25170470dcf44.png

RC966b.png.69ea5534d8c0d0be7a42de94c6b3a7ea.png

RC966c.png.3305cf79d7792c3fd0062a6d3451d0b1.png

RC966d.png.324322f19d155e399aedf9307f950362.png

RC966e.png.6ff871dee43624f1630064f971a7d8a8.png

That looks fantastic , any chance of a 4mm version?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Yes but having built a few these look very dated in todays model market , even the RTR Hornby ones aren't the best

I struggle to see how the Parkside kit could be 'brought up to date' - please explain what it lacks in the current model market.

CJI.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I struggle to see how the Parkside kit could be 'brought up to date' - please explain what it lacks in the current model market.

CJI.

The finesse of the details for a start , even this one in N looks more defined than the Parkside kit

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

The finesse of the details for a start , even this one in N looks more defined than the Parkside kit

What we see in the images is a digital render - how this translates into injected plastic remains yo be seen!

CJI.

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

What we see in the images is a digital render - how this translates into injected plastic remains yo be seen!

CJI.

I don't think it's a digital render to be honest , it looks like the finished product in a photobox or similar

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Sharp edges.

Defined corners.

Parts which actually align.

A roof which fits accurately.

In fact everything which make Chivers/Five79 the kits they are, there really isn't a comparison.

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Sharp edges.

Defined corners.

Parts which actually align.

A roof which fits accurately.

In fact everything which make Chivers/Five79 the kits they are, there really isn't a comparison.

Mike.

I would agree that Chivers' kits are the best - but the hundreds of Parkside kits that I've built aren't bad, either.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

There were two diagrams of what I call smooth sided blue spot fish vans dia 800 and 801. Although they look alike almost nothing is the same, especially the bracing. They even have a different roof radius. I probably used the earlier drawing because they lived longer and there was less bracing to cut. When I read the above thread I assumed that rather than duplicate the Parkside kit it was being suggested that we produce the later diagram. 

A couple of things I’ve learn about these vans. Firstly once they were transferred to parcels service they didn’t always retain their roller bearings and secondly somebody wrote they were used to distribute the Readers Digest. 

Roger

Edited by finelines
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Likewise very nice work indeed on the fish van.

It certainly deserves to be made available in 4mm scale like others have said.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, finelines said:

There were two diagrams of what I call smooth sided blue spot fish vans dia 800 and 801. Although they look alike almost nothing is the same, especially the bracing. They even have a different roof radius. I probably used the earlier drawing because they lived longer and there was less bracing to cut. When I read the above thread I assumed that rather than duplicate the Parkside kit it was being suggested that we produce the later diagram. 

A couple of things I’ve learn about these vans. Firstly once they were transferred to parcels service they didn’t always retain their roller bearings and secondly somebody wrote they were used to distribute the Readers Digest. 

Roger

Both diagram 800 and 801 would be useful to me in 4mm should you decide to produce them

Dave

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The question seems to be - do you want Team Chivers to expend their valuable time duplicating an existing kit , even if the result would be superior , or direct their efforts at something that isn't already available?

• Like 3