Show us yours - Realistic modelling

AY Mod

14 minutes ago, PMP said:

My pic, not my modelling

Could almost be looking over the wall at PZ. No Velvia in the 1970's though.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

After reading Phil Parker’s features in BRM on weathering ballast and using talcum powder on roads and following advice from the man himself, I used 50/50 water and brown emulsion to weather my layout’s ballast. I applied several layers in areas that I wanted to look dirtier and the layout now looks far less clinical. 
I had also seen another trick with talc on the Internet and gave that a go. Other members may be interested in this if they didn’t already know.

I carefully placed talc in between the tracks and pressed it down to flatten and smooth it out. I then gently sprayed with water and a drop of washing up liquid. Following this, apply 50/50 water and PVA and allow to dry. 
once dry, paint the talc and surrounding areas with Matt Black or Black Indian Ink.

when this has dried, you can then paint the smooth talc with Gloss Black and it gives the impression of an oil spill. 

photos are of the weathered ballast and oil spills on my WW2 layout ‘Sunderton’. 

0D9CD2D5-EAE6-4644-B66C-FB8073FC7CBC.jpeg

909755C5-C359-4BB0-BD7B-357FB1F0FAE6.jpeg

0D3FA097-778C-4BD2-87C4-AAEFB1952714.jpeg

• Like 13

Chris the Coke Hopper and Terry the Tippler.

Terry! You don't look well, mate.

Nah, I'm fine, Chris. I'm just having a bit of a trim. You know how I was made redundant after they started importing all that foreign ore?

Yeah?

Well, they said I could become one of them Coil Js, you know, carrying them big steel coils about?

Terry, mate, someone's been pulling your brake lever. I don't know how to tell you this but...

DSCF8833a.jpg.e4f7b0027b10b08a8248f250cb1f1886.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

A scene from my first ever layout (full layout below). I live in rural Ireland, and my dad drove an industrial shunter in the UK for 30 years. Both concepts are in the layout.

20220330_155452.jpg

_C0A1622-Edit.jpg

Edited by latestarter
  • Like 11