RMweb

Show us yours - Realistic modelling

2 hours ago, Footy said:

Beautifully observed modelling, full of atmosphere.  I particularly like the wonky fencing and the texture of the roadway but my favourite is the fella paused at the door of the pub looking down at the cat.  Superb.

If I have one criticism it's the Austin / Morris traversing the level crossing which is a bit of a modelling cliche, but that's a very personal view.  I'd love to see more of your work.

Thanks for the nice comments, the chap waiting for the pub to open is Cyril, its 6 in the afternoon and he needs to get his 8 pints in before he clocks on at the foundry for the night shift!

Search my name, handle whatever it is, and you should find some more of my modelling

• Like 1

There's a lot of period details there that have since vanished, such as the street lamp, (looks to be one of the "Tipton" pattern lamps) the speedway poster (still have a Wolverhampton speedway badge somewhere) and the Austin A60 blinged up with a coloured roof to match the side flash.

All such things were quite common until about 1980, thin on the ground now, but not extinct.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There's a lot of period details there that have since vanished, such as the street lamp, (looks to be one of the "Tipton" pattern lamps) the speedway poster (still have a Wolverhampton speedway badge somewhere) and the Austin A60 blinged up with a coloured roof to match the side flash.

All such things were quite common until about 1980, thin on the ground now, but not extinct.

I learnt to drive in an Austin A60 in 1971 . A steering wheel the size of a sailing ship’s wheel ! I looked  through  and under it and over the instrument binnacle . Leather upholstery and synchromash on 2nd 3rd and top only . But it smelt of real car . Quality!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Column gear change and a big bench front seat that could hold a whole streetfull of kids on a daytrip to the seaside...

We had 'that' car in 1958 - 1953's Vauhall Velox (the one with the big open mouth at the front) in two colours, light blue body white roof and bench seats front and back. My father driving (natch) and my mother with the youngest of us up front and we the remaining four across the back. Despite the car being from the dark ages, my father did have seat belts. There was only one at the front and one in the back, but it went right across the bench seats - like a giant lap strap. It was registered as HBO 13 and gradually rusted away as did all Vauxhalls of its age - the Lancia of the UK.

He then bought the later version (with the blue whale teeth across the front) in dark blue - I reckon bought in about 1960. Registered DEU 377 and that too rusted away!

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

That later car would have been a 1955 model with a cast metal grille, The 56 had a pressed grille with far fewer "teeth" and the 57 had a grille of horizontal slats.

I had a 1953 Velox, in black, OKA766 is still on the road. The early grille is semi officially known as the crossbow and until 1954 the bonnet could be lifted up from either side like a contemporary Buick.

Mine had also had its roof painted white, the 51-54 model was only available in a single colour, but when the top of the range Cresta came out in late 1954 a lot of owners of earlier cars bought the additional chrome trim and had the roof painted a contrasting colour to keep up with the current fashion.

A bit off topic, but one thing that often jars on period layouts is out of period vehicles, especially when so much accuracy is portrayed in the locos and stock.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 18/11/2023 at 22:59, sixteen 12by 10s said:

don't know if i have posted tis on before, anyway, Blackbrook halt, the Black country 

244072639_4310699402359836_5235821797975525780_n.jpg

Lovely modelling... I grew up in Langley Green, even into the 1980's you could still find areas with this atmosphere (mostly sans railway, sadly). It reminds me of the area near the old drop foundries by the crossing (now a massive housing estate).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2023 at 11:40, Ben B said:

Lovely modelling... I grew up in Langley Green, even into the 1980's you could still find areas with this atmosphere (mostly sans railway, sadly). It reminds me of the area near the old drop foundries by the crossing (now a massive housing estate).

The only give away is the shadow under the bridge on the backdrop, superb bit everyday from the 60's

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2023 at 22:59, sixteen 12by 10s said:

don't know if i have posted tis on before, anyway, Blackbrook halt, the Black country 

244072639_4310699402359836_5235821797975525780_n.jpg

A seemingly somewhat minor element in the photo, the cast iron drain (manhole) cover manages to lead the eye into the scene; great work!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 21/11/2023 at 11:40, Ben B said:

Thanks, set not to far away, from you, the area is just about clinging on to a little industry, on the aptly names Pear tree lane 

• Like 2