Glasgow Queen Street... HELP

Thanks for the help so far chaps! Just been out this morning to purchase the wire to start laying/wiring the track down! so all is starting to progress! we will be starting a layout thread soon! and then playing trains :)

So all is good guys! and we are gettin there!

Please keep the Gen coming guys

Chris & the GQS team

Hi Chris and team,

Have just posted some photos on the Scottish Region 1980s thread that should interest you, taken in 1986.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the heads up Dave! the pics are extremly usful!!!!

Just to let Followers/checkers of this thread know, my self and the GQS team have been glued to the layout this weekend!

So much so we have spent Many hours laying track! we have managed to lay platforms 7, 6, 5, 4 and all the point work! with the track ready to lay in platforms 3, 2 and 1 ALSO WORKING TRAINS have moved! wit hte first shove rakes entering and leaving and a couple of DMU's.

I will be going back up probly tomorrow to continue laying the rest fo the lines... so itll all be down ready for the show so any RMwebbers attending the Lancashire & Yorkshire DCC MRG show at the end of the month and will be coming out for a few pints after will be able to have the option to come to the club rooms and see the progress/PLAY!

I will post a few pic's of progress up on here for you all to see and i will be starting a layout thread in the near future when i think the layout will be ready for one!

oh and we also picked up a free 1988 Passenger timetable that shows us all the moves on a typical day in and out of GQS and damn there were alot! i think the longest lay over period is 30mins! (if that) It covers the whole network so if anyone wants a perticular page/station out of it let me know we can sort somthing out to get it sent to you :D

Thanks for the Help so far chaps!!!!!

Keep It Coming!

Chris W & the GQS team

• RMweb Gold

Chris, I know these pictures pre-date your period by ten years but perhaps they will be of some use for the general scene. They were taken in January 1979 on the date of the Glasgow Model Railway Exhibition.

Geoff

post-224-046644100 1287407947_thumb.jpgpost-224-086190100 1287407939_thumb.jpgpost-224-000597300 1287407932_thumb.jpgpost-224-024051300 1287407925_thumb.jpgpost-224-040008600 1287407918_thumb.jpgpost-224-052395600 1287407911_thumb.jpg

post-224-042511900 1287407904_thumb.jpg

The pics are a massive help thanks geoff the only major differneces from te 70's till the 80's is the the point workchanged leading in to platforms 1 and 2 bar this the station stayed pretty muh the same scenery wise so if you have any more please dig them out

Thanks

chris & the GQS team

• RMweb Gold

I am glad they are of use to you Chris. They are all I have since I have only made the one visit to Queen Street. It is a fascinating place though, but I wouldn't want to try to replicate the state of the track and the gradient in model form, and make it work!

Good luck with your project.

Geoff

The pics are a massive help thanks geoff the only major differneces from te 70's till the 80's is the the point workchanged leading in to platforms 1 and 2 bar this the station stayed pretty muh the same scenery wise so if you have any more please dig them out

Thanks

chris & the GQS team

Thanks fella

as promised all we are off to the club rooms in the morn to to Finnish off the track work I'll chuck some pics on when we get back :)

chris & the GQS team

Hi All,

Just one or two taster photos to show that everyone's help on this thread is going towards a good cause!

post-7341-010043700 1287514951_thumb.jpg

An overhead view of the trackwork in GQS from above Cowlairs Tunnel - Platforms 3 to 7 are now laid and wired, and trackwork in Platforms 1 and 2 is placed for effect but not yet laid or wired which we intend to carry on with later this week.

post-7341-032590100 1287514953_thumb.jpg

A slightly more higher up shot of the trackwork. As many photos in this thread have shown, GQS has a lot of inconsistancies, niggles and bumps in the trackwork which we've tried to replicate. It must be the one project out there where the occasional kink in the trackwork is authentic :)

post-7341-009990400 1287514955_thumb.jpg

A third view of GQS from the South East, showing a bit more stock in the station. Unfortunately the sun and club-room window were in the wrong place meaning a bit of sun-blur, and the pic won't win many awards, but hopefully it gives an idea of what the layout looks like a little more like real life!

• 26024 is sat on 'Eastfield Taxi' duties in Platform 1 - the short bay furthest from the camera.
  • 20208 is waiting to be released from bringing in an ECS from Cowlairs Carriage Sidings for an Oban service.
  • 101304 and 108383 sit in Platform 3, the 108 is soon to depart with an 'all stations' service to Dunfermline.
  • 47716 and DBSO rake (minus DBSO, still under construction!) await 'right time' from Platform 5 for Edinburgh Waverley, first stop Haymarket.....
  • 47614 has recently arrived on an Inverness - Glasgow LHCS service into Platform 6
  • Finally in Platform 7, a HST waits for departure for the hustle and bustle for two captial cities; Edinburgh and London.

Cheers for all your help so far everybody - hopefully the efforts you've put in so far have made their mark! And mods - don't worry - a 'layout thread' will be started soon, we just wanted to pop these here as a 'thank you' for all the help so far B)

Dave and the GQS Team.

• 26024 is sat on 'Eastfield Taxi' duties in Platform 1 - the short bay furthest from the camera.
  • 20208 is waiting to be released from bringing in an ECS from Cowlairs Carriage Sidings for an Oban service.
  • 101304 and 108383 sit in Platform 3, the 108 is soon to depart with an 'all stations' service to Dunfermline.
  • 47716 and DBSO rake (minus DBSO, still under construction!) await 'right time' from Platform 5 for Edinburgh Waverley, first stop Haymarket.....
  • 47614 has recently arrived on an Inverness - Glasgow LHCS service into Platform 6
  • Finally in Platform 7, a HST waits for departure for the hustle and bustle for two captial cities; Edinburgh and London.

Not sure if you aware but when a HST is in P7 its power car's front nose is sitting in the tunnle and as such it blocks departures/arrivals to P5 and P6. As a consiquence shove sets used to use P2 while the HST was there. I do beleave that there was a very quick turn around of the HST due to this issue.

Carl

Not sure if you aware but when a HST is in P7 its power car's front nose is sitting in the tunnle and as such it blocks departures/arrivals to P5 and P6. As a consiquence shove sets used to use P2 while the HST was there. I do beleave that there was a very quick turn around of the HST due to this issue.

Carl

Cheers for that Carl, I was certain the HST blocked 5/6 while in 7 (and to be honest the IS rake and shove set are there for effect!) however wasn't too sure what the shove's used in the meantime - I presumed it was any from 2-4.

Cheers for the info!

Dave

Since the early 70s platform 2 was predominantly used for the E&Gs - and at times P6 (P7 was usually kept for the longer rakes like the Inverness's) it wasn't something that arose specifically as a result of the HSTs - it was custom & practice long before then to put the E&Gs into P2. The HSTs were a downright P-I-T-A, blocking half the platforms - hence the reason they were diagrammed in and back out in a short turnround. The Aberdeen 47/7 sets used either P6 or P7

Hi All

Quick query, Did the Deltics ever run in to Glasgow QS?

Ian

Yes - in the early days they could be seen a the head of the Queen of Scots Pullman, they were not seen when they were in their prime, as the were heavily rostered on the ECML.

Since the early 70s platform 2 was predominantly used for the E&Gs - and at times P6 (P7 was usually kept for the longer rakes like the Inverness's) it wasn't something that arose specifically as a result of the HSTs - it was custom & practice long before then to put the E&Gs into P2. The HSTs were a downright P-I-T-A, blocking half the platforms - hence the reason they were diagrammed in and back out in a short turnround. The Aberdeen 47/7 sets used either P6 or P7

The practise of using platform 2 for the Edinburghs dates from the early days of the DMUs, prior to the remodelling of the station, when platform two was the longest platform in the station, in those days the longer Aberdeens and Inverness trains left from Buchanan street. Platform 5 was the second longest, and was the departure platform for the Fort William trains, which also continued post rebuild. The old platforms 6 and 7 were very short, as the tracks into 8, 9 and the goods station cut accross the current platform 7 about where the grey building is now.

Jim

Quick update on the layout chaps!

Platform 2 has now been layed! and was fully completed last night! i am looking at going back to the club rooms tonight depending on Dave being free to lay Platform 1, as its onlt a short platform it wont talk long to lay!!!!!

After that progress on QS will start to slow again and will potter along with the wiring needing completion then a crucial month or so of PLAYING :) then we intend to put the platforms in followed by the signals! But in the meantime i am concentrating on the stock again now ive purchased a compressor, so i have 10 MK2's to put into Scotrail, and a couple of Duffs to do in blue and also 2 DBSO's to finish off OH and the route learning 122 based at Eastfield(bit early for the layout but its a beast of a machine!) so enought to be getting on with for now!

Ill post some more updates in the next few days!

Please keep the gen coming chaps.... Oh Carl, from pictures i have got of HST's in Plt 7 it just comes within feet of the end of the line so it blocks off the 'down' line of cowlairs! Ill get a photo tonight of where abouts our HST come's to on the layout when sat in 7 and post ask dave to post it when he is free!

Keep the gen coming guys its a real help!!!!!

Chris and the GQS team

Mike 61680,

Hi Chris & Co.

If you write to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, they will provide you with an Ordnance Survey plan for a small fee. It may be 1:1250 or 1:2500 scale but it shows the exact track plan. You will have to chose from a specific date choice e.g. 1955, 1967, 1980 or whichever is closest to your period. Signalling is sometimes shown among other things on larger scale (1:1250 is larger scale than 1:2500)

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks for the gen mike, a letter will be in the post first thing Monday if not a phone call if I can fin their number

quick layout update all lines are now layed ready for wiring to commence

Keep the gen coming folks I still need detail shots of the road bridges if poss

chris & the GQS 88 team

• RMweb Premium

details for the mitchell library via the virtual mitchell:

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=contactus

Libraries, Information and Learning

The Mitchell

North Street

Glasgow G3 7DN

Phone: 0141 287 2999

Fax: 0141 287 2815

Email: archives@csglasgow.org

the page in the link also has navigation for the virtual mitchell site

warning - you could easily lose a couple of hours in there!

Thanks Keefer you saved me time searching for it :D i will be ringing them first thing monday to see what they can do for me!!!!!!

Thanks chaps keep the photos coming! like i said im desperate for shots that include the underside of the bridges!!!!!

Thanks

Chris & the GQS 88 team

Thanks for the heads up jgp that search come up with some bloody good vids thanks very muchly

fingers crossed I can et 47004 in br blue and 47018 in RF done for this weekend there currently sat in undercoat :)

thanks all

Chris & the GQS '88 team

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for that Carl, I was certain the HST blocked 5/6 while in 7 (and to be honest the IS rake and shove set are there for effect!) however wasn't too sure what the shove's used in the meantime - I presumed it was any from 2-4.

Cheers for the info!

Dave

Heres a photo showing a HST in the wrong platform http://milepost229.fotopic.net/p67480030.html Does anyone know why it would have been pathed here instead of into platform 7?

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Archived