Theres good then theres...

Guest jim s-w

I looked at this earlier when Jim first posted, and it actually had the effect of profoundly depressing me, so I've been out doing everything that's not baby trains (apart from calling in to Hobbyrail for some plastic strip rolleyes.gif ). I shan't look at it again, because it leaves me thinking why bother; when my time, patience and resources are finite, it's like living in the perpetual shadow of unattainable near-perfection.

I guess the rest of us can just be happy in striving to realise what actually gives us satisfaction in the broad church that is this wonderful hobby. After all, I couldn't imagine populating a roundy with every inch filled with stuff modelled to that standard, it's all a matter of compromise in the end.

• RMweb Gold
I shan't look at it again, because it leaves me thinking why bother; when my time, patience and resources are finite, it's like living in the perpetual shadow of unattainable near-perfection.

But the same could be said of Gravy Train's buildings or anything by Chris Nevard - they should serve to inspire you, not depress you.

(Also bear in mind the scale of that door is 1/2" to the foot - somewhat larger than 4mm !)

Stu

Thanks for posting that, Jim. Absolutely stunning. I can't decide whether I'm more inspired or depressed. Not that I'm indecisive or anything. Well, at least I don't think I am. But then again...

It really is scary the standards of realism some people achieve.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Guest jim s-w

Sorry 'chard

I didn't mean to depress anyone - I just thought it worth sharing. Sometimes things raise the bar but very occasionally something comes along that changes the game altogether.

Its rare for me to find a model truly inspirational. I can appreciate when somethings good but inspiration has always come from the real world. This guys work I like a hell of a lot!

Cheers

Jim

...this!

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=446.0

Outstanding B)

Cheers

Jim

It is outstanding, but can this modeller do the same in the smaller scale of 1:76 as he has done in 1:24. That is really the question. Michelangelo was a great modeller too, don't forget, in the larger scales. ;)

Cheers, Tony

Guest jim s-w

Indeed Tone

You can apply that arguement to any scale though. The thing is there was a discussion on here a while ago about the merits of O gauge where people were arguing that its just as good as 4mm scale. For me larger scales SHOULD be like chucks work but alas its often* 'dumber' than 4mm scale.

Cheers

Jim

*often but by no means always!

• RMweb Gold

Truly oustanding work, whatever the scale. This sort of thing, for me, can only inspire.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Jim, but I thought that the work of Emannuel Nouailler deserves some airing. He models in 3.5mm. I have a few more, if anybody would be interested.

post-6728-127495968854.jpg

post-6728-127495971049.jpg

post-6728-127495975349.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Jim, but I thought that the work of Emannuel Nouailler deserves some airing. He models in 3.5mm. I have a few more, if anybody would be interested.

Not at all and definately more please

Cheers

Jim

Truly oustanding work, whatever the scale. This sort of thing, for me, can only inspire.

Magnifique! Yes, more please!

But the same could be said of Gravy Train's buildings or anything by Chris Nevard - they should serve to inspire you, not depress you.

(Also bear in mind the scale of that door is 1/2" to the foot - somewhat larger than 4mm !)

Stu

Don't forget about Blackgill.

The greatest detail is the peeling paint around where a number was. :blink: Jim, there appears to be someone else building New Street on that forum as well B) :rolleyes: :lol: :P

Guest jim s-w

Jim, there appears to be someone else building New Street on that forum as well B) :rolleyes: :lol: :P

Yeah but he's rubbish! :P

Cheers

Jim

If anything, the depressing question isn't "could I have a go and make something as good?" it's more "where would you start?" :blink:

I have no idea how you'd even begin to make the Peugeot sign on that beautiful building in the above post, let alone the brickwork or the (absolutely 100% real looking) rust on the enamel signs.

Simply stunning.

I'm certainly interested... :)

Cheers, Tony

Indeed Tone

You can apply that arguement to any scale though. The thing is there was a discussion on here a while ago about the merits of O gauge where people were arguing that its just as good as 4mm scale. For me larger scales SHOULD be like chucks work but alas its often* 'dumber' than 4mm scale.

Cheers

Jim

*often but by no means always!

10-4 on that, Jim.

Cheers, Tone

If anything, the depressing question isn't "could I have a go and make something as good?" it's more "where would you start?" :blink:

I have no idea how you'd even begin to make the Peugeot sign on that beautiful building in the above post, let alone the brickwork or the (absolutely 100% real looking) rust on the enamel signs.

Simply stunning.

Perhaps not a depressing question but merely one of inquisitiveness. There are some wonderful models and modellers on here but none of them was born with this ability and I doubt any of them were producing this standard when first they started. They learned their craft; I guess they begged and borrowed techniques and refined those techniques where necessary.

For me one of the great things about sites like this is that, to quote your question above, you can actually ask the maker how they did it. And even more wonderful is that generally those 'craftsmen' will actually tell you how they did it.

I'm loathe to quote the Confucious saying 'Every journey begins with .........' but it is true and that fiirst step is simply to ask.

Cheers and regards

Mike

Archived