The Hornby Advent Calendar 2020

Hroth

On 02/12/2020 at 08:36, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Maybe more than just a homage to Cuneo?

Tri-ang Hornby Catalogue 1971....

B2B49A7D-8AA9-4E01-A639-14CF82B9D130.jpeg.5a73b6955398af07decd950412373610.jpeg

“The mouse which caused the international incident.” It replaces the bottom right insulator on the nearest telegraph pole, if anyone wonders.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I could do with a good few hundred of those TBH....since we're modelling the Indian Railways in HO and OO scale, rats would actually be a main feature (I am not joking).

Telegraph poles would be wrong through. I've never seen so much copper wire going from one house to the next.

• Funny 1

On 02/12/2020 at 22:04, Hilux5972 said:

Oooh I wonder if that means a brand new 9F

I'm not sure if Bachmann are selling all that many of theirs, their long-ago-announced 92069 weathered and 92212 pristine are not in the list for production in the foreseeable...

Mind you given Hornby's ability to produce new models in a 2-3 year time-frame who knows?  And something new always has sales appeal. I wonder if the existing Hornby 9F could be upgraded without too much cost?  Doing the brakes and rigging wouldn't be easy.

Just musing.  Having bought a few Bachmann 9Fs   :)

10 minutes ago, Legend said:

Hmmm I could get 24 at this rate 

Less than that, I suspect. There'll be facebook and twitter validated competitions too. Ok if you face or twit but I won't be creating accounts to enter them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

In Old Delhi.

DSC00052.JPG

Indeed I was there last year. They don't know the wealth they are sitting on with all that copper wire. Sometimes I saw entire reals of wire (with most still reeled up) covering a short distance of just 2 metres. No social distancing there either even if you are confined! Chaos works! Old Delhi is same as when it was built 500 years ago, except it has not been maintained for a very long time.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Indeed I was there last year. They don't know the wealth they are sitting on with all that copper wire. Sometimes I saw entire reals of wire (with most still reeled up) covering a short distance of just 2 metres. No social distancing there either even if you are confined! Chaos works! Old Delhi is same as when it was built 500 years ago, except it has not been maintained for a very long time.

Oh trust me...they know the wealth. Thieves have figured out how to isolate OHE sections and steal OHE wire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

We want clues.....   :prankster:

As well as that Vulcan Bomber on the Airfix calendar.  Spending £60 on a kit for something which is only a passing interest is possibly a bit much. But this looks extremely good IMHO.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020/avro-vulcan-b-2.html

I had an Airfix Avro Vulcan back in the 80's, is this a re-release or a new model?

4 hours ago, sandwich station said:

I had an Airfix Avro Vulcan back in the 80's, is this a re-release or a new model?

Brand new model.

They have reissued a lot of the old classic models, but they've also been releasing some outstanding new kits. Well up to the standards of the European and Far Eastern manufacturers. They even laser scanned the real one.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/preserved-vulcans-to-become-future-airfix-classics

On 03/12/2020 at 15:06, MGR Hooper! said:

I could do with a good few hundred of those TBH....since we're modelling the Indian Railways in HO and OO scale, rats would actually be a main feature (I am not joking).

When my dad worked in India he said the lizards often crawled into switch and fuse boxes and managed to electrocute themselves across terminals. So I think you'll need a few lizards on your layout too.

Best wishes,

Martin 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Smoking gun said:

When my dad worked in India he said the lizards often crawled into switch and fuse boxes and managed to electrocute themselves across terminals. So I think you'll need a few lizards on your layout too.

Best wishes,

Martin 

She won't need to buy them. They will creep in naturally.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Smoking gun said:

Best wishes,

Martin 

That's right Martin, lizards and rodents (and many other smaller creatures) are quite famous for electrocuting themselves in such things and tripping the OHE. 

Amongst other things, my uncle once told me a story of an incident when he was a driver and they were passing an area where a road bridge was being built over the railway. They were in the process of placing the girders across the railway lines and since they were not supported properly and were only being held by the crane, the movement+weight of the train caused the girders to sway and one of the workmen's hammers fell on to the roof of the loco and tripped it immediately. Took them about 30 mins to figure out what happened. The construction workers wouldn't speak up as they were at risk of losing their jobs over such an incident. 

5 hours ago, JSpencer said:

She won't need to buy them. They will creep in naturally.

Already got 4 in the house.... They're coming to get me :D

• Funny 2