The Hornby Advent Calendar 2020

Hroth

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

That's nice. I wonder if it's a Lionel product or if Hornby have designed it and will produce it.

Possibly the former I’d say. Since the train set already has Lionel track in it

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I wish I didn't keep seeing the topic title 'The Hornby Adult Calendar 2020' when I glance at VNC. 

Reminder to self, cut down on the cheese and mushroom pasties.  ^_^

But it draws in the optimists...  ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I wish I didn't keep seeing the topic title 'The Hornby Adult Calendar 2020' when I glance at VNC. 

Reminder to self, cut down on the cheese and mushroom pasties.  ^_^

They would be getting pretty desperate if Simon Kohler had to start posing for photos.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

yeah a bit underwhelming . I do like that glossy Duchess of Hamilton though . Unfortunately I've got the previous Duchess of Gloucester and cant really justify forking out on one !

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually I'm finding LNWR18901910s thread and advent calendar of past art much more enjoyable .  Given that it was their 100th , they might have been better doing something the same .

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Legend said:

Actually I'm finding LNWR18901910s thread and advent calendar of past art much more enjoyable .  Given that it was their 100th , they might have been better doing something the same .

I'm enjoying the Hornby Railways Catalogue and Box Art thread too, its the stuff of childhood dreams.  I set this one up as a reference so that RMwebbers don't have to tramp over to the Hornby website on the offchance that something interesting might pop up!

Never mind, it'll all be over in another 16 days...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm enjoying the Hornby Railways Catalogue and Box Art thread too, its the stuff of childhood dreams.  I set this one up as a reference so that RMwebbers don't have to tramp over to the Hornby website on the offchance that something interesting might pop up!

Never mind, it'll all be over in another 16 days...

No thanks for setting it up Hroth . I did enter competitions over the first few days , and the partially revealed catalogue was interesting . So good thread also . You never know , Day 9 might be "Get a Hornby LNER class 800 for a fiver "

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

All (Hornby, Airfix, Corgi and Scalextric) their Advent Calendars seem to be equally underwhelming this year or am I getter older !!!

I never found them particularly special in the past neither. My conclusion is that they are not aimed at more established modelers/collectors like us. Roll on January the 5th....  

A few years ago, the Advent Calendar was used to promote several offers of "excess stock" at sale/bargain prices.  Its a pity they can't have at least one special offer for the Christmas period this year!

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A few years ago, the Advent Calendar was used to promote several offers of "excess stock" at sale/bargain prices.  Its a pity they can't have at least one special offer for the Christmas period this year!

They did. There was a secret one for L&MR Third Class coaches. 10 for £30. I think most people missed it.

:jester:

Seriously though. Didn't everyone complain when they had the bargains saying it was undermining the retailers?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They did. There was a secret one for L&MR Third Class coaches. 10 for £30. I think most people missed it.

:jester:

Seriously though. Didn't everyone complain when they had the bargains saying it was undermining the retailers?

Drat! Missed it!

Yes, there were complaints.  Mainly because the large number of Christmas offers were on top of the already drastic price cutting strategy in competition with retailers that the direct sales channel had been using throughout the year.

A "Christmas Only" lollipop in the Calendar would be nice.  It might even stimulate interest in a flagging line of goods.

Perhaps a SteamPunk loco?  :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Aha....so that’s where Olivias got all them coaches then! ;)

A very plausible solution... :crazy:

1 hour ago, Kris said:

Win tickets to The Great Electric Train Show today. 

When will that take place, I wonder?

"Subcribe to Hornbys YouTube Channel" to enter, thats a new one!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

If they did do an offer I have a strange feeling it would be J15 shaped....

Another of the "sign up for the newsletter and win" things.

If the price was good enough, I'd have another J15... :jester:

Yeah, sign up for the newsletter and win a Hornby mag subscription...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1