Metro-Vick Type 2 Co-Bo - N Gauge

rapidoandy

• 2 months later...

What's the min curve difference between the large radius and small radius versions?  The retailers are listing both options!

I ordered large radius as it will be a more or less end to end layout with the largest radius points - but will it go around my Kato v6 "outer oval" test track?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rogerzilla said:

What's the min curve difference between the large radius and small radius versions?  The retailers are listing both options!

I ordered large radius as it will be a more or less end to end layout with the largest radius points - but will it go around my Kato v6 "outer oval" test track?

The radius differential mentioned isn't the curves the model will go around, it's the radius of the curves at the "corners" of the yellow panels.  Different workshops painted the yellow panels with different radius "corners".

Best

Scott.

1 minute ago, rogerzilla said:

The 'radius' refers to the corners top corners of the small yellow panels on the ends of the locomotive, not the locomotives ability to run on curved track.

Some class 28s had more of an arc in the top corners of the yellow panel referred to as 'large radius' others had much more of a corner, referred to as small radius. I can confirm any of the models will be more than happy on a Kato V6 test track, this is what I was running the EP1 sample on at the ESNG show.

• Like 1

Just now, scottystitch said:

The radius differential mentioned isn't the curves the model will go around, it's the radius of the curves at the "corners" of the yellow panels.  Different workshops painted the yellow panels with different radius "corners".

Best

Scott.

Thanks!  It's SYP which is all that matters to me.

"Large radius corners" is certainly confusing :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

North Eastern area modellers wondering about buying a Co-Bo should have a look at the most recent (Aug 2022) issue of the “North Eastern Express” (the NERA journal).  On pp 110-112 there’s an article on the Co-Bo pre-acceptance test runs from Bowesfield Works that took place between July 1958 & late 1959.  

The most frequent test run route was from Darlington to Leeds out via Wetherby and back via Harrogate, but at least one test run went Darlington-Newcastle out via Team Valley (ECML) and back via Sunderland.

The article includes two photos of test trains - at least 12 carriages long, (EDIT) 13 or 14 bogie carriages long, mainly a variety of Gresley LNER mainline stock with a couple of BR Mk.1s mixed in.  

Of course, the Co-Bos differ from any of the proposed models: they are in original curved window condition, and as these are pre-acceptance runs they are in plain green paint and unnumbered.  But nonetheless, well within Rule 1 I reckon for a layout set in BR(NE)!

Hope this is of interest.

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Just noticed that the article mentions train length
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have been reading more about these ugly ducklings.  The Spanner train heating boiler was (as with other locos) a weak point.  The one on the Metrovicks was notorious for lighting up with a pyrotechnic fireball out of the roof.  One Metrovick managed to burn most of the roof of Barrow shed.  Although its paint was burnt, it was otherwise unscathed and stayed in service.

Another endearing feature was that the screen demister air was taken from the traction motor blowers which, in turn, came from a compartment that was generally full of oil mist and diesel fumes.  Drivers soon learnt to block the vents if they still wanted to be able to see their secondman.

EE quoted for re-engining with an 8SVT uprated to 1200hp (the 12SVT frim the 37 wouldn't have fitted) but BR decided to ditch all the small troublesome diesel classes at once.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Class 28 now in colour. A few improvements to be made - but we are rather pleased with this!

IMG_9870.jpg.c3e770dc90db65ca789c1876dc7f7852.jpg

Andy I think you have every right to be pleased - it does look rather spiffing but unusually clean compared with the real ones.    Definitely shows what can be done with a properly researched and presented model.  

All it needs is a smoke unit to chuck out the thick black exhaust the real ones managed in their Barrow days😇

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The class 28 is one of those locomotive types which I have always found rather endearing regardless of their faults ( just like the NBL type 2's). Rapid look to have done a terrific job and I am sure this will be a success. Probably the most successful application of an asymmetric bogie arrangement was the JNR DE10 C-B diesel hydraulic, they made about 700 of those and they enjoyed long service lives and worked well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/09/2022 at 18:57, Crepello said:

It doesn’t look as if Rapido are going to include the duck-egg blue on the bogies!

I believe this is correct. I have only (so far) seen photos of duck-egg blue bogies with the original wrap-around windows (which this tooling does not have). The photos of Class 28s with the modified windows I have seen only have black bogies.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Corbs said:

I believe this is correct. I have only (so far) seen photos of duck-egg blue bogies with the original wrap-around windows (which this tooling does not have). The photos of Class 28s with the modified windows I have seen only have black bogies.

I saw all of the modified cab window locos in traffic, in green livery, and they all had black, usually pretty grubby, bogies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/04/2022 at 20:37, The Stationmaster said:

Nice but what it also needs is a smoke unit - they couldn't 'arf chuck it out, especially when picking up from idle when starting away

The joys of first generation 2-strokes in particular (Deltic 'clag' from cold starts of prolonged idling periods was infamous), but first starts of early 4-strokes could be pretty impressive too...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/09/2022 at 18:57, Crepello said:

It doesn’t look as if Rapido are going to include the duck-egg blue on the bogies!

I've read that the "duck-egg blue" stripe on the body was mythical - it was grey, and the specification was for it to be grey.  Grey can look quite blue in the shade on colour film with no auto white balance.  I don't know about the bogies - I will do a bit of digging.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

I've read that the "duck-egg blue" stripe on the body was mythical - it was grey, and the specification was for it to be grey.  Grey can look quite blue in the shade on colour film with no auto white balance.  I don't know about the bogies - I will do a bit of digging.

On my paint instructions it is grey so that's good!