Metro-Vick Type 2 Co-Bo - N Gauge

rapidoandy

FYI - A further update from Rapido's Facebook page says -

"Our class 28 model has been put to the test over the last few days to see how good it really is.

The results have been good and we will now send our feedback to the factory for them to make some final tweaks.

We will soon announce the orderbook deadline with the aim of getting these into production as soon as we can for delivery later this year"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

That could be a livery in of itself.    Any plans for a 'bookset' akin to Dapol marketing with a 27 and a short rake of Conflats?

I don't think Dapol would be interested 😆

Do you mean a class 28 bookset with a rake of Conflats?

Really liking how the 28 is coming along, I am not always convinced about book-sets and too late for me now anyway as I have already ordered a loco (sound of course) plus seven of the Conflat Ps (plus an NGS Stove R). However there is a certain appeal to a "Condor" train pack maybe with a print of the famous Cuneo picture as part of the box artwork and some history. What shouldn't be expected in such a scenario is a significant price-drop for a train pack over individually purchased items - in my humble opinion.

Roy 

Edited by Roy L S
Added IMHO

• 3 weeks later...

Why?

We don't have enough prototypical models and now all we get is fictitious liveries - what has Keith Revell started.

How about a class 15 or one of a multitude of steam engines that N gauge modellers might like and perhaps it would encourage more N gauge modellers.

Could you imagine if Bachmann announced a run of Mk1s in Virgin Red or a Peak in Inter City, we barely get enough of the correct stuff let alone having precious production slots filled with fake items. 

I know it is easy money for the manufacturer though - something different and it's a livery scheme on an existing mould.  Doesn't even need to be wholly correct livery because it's fake.

There got it off my chest, as you were.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

I guess it's just another livery variant and choice, doesn't stop people buying the authentic liveries, but definitely not for me TBH and not something I would personally like to see becoming commonplace. The test will be if it achieves 250 or more expressions of interest.

Roy

I've viewed the Rapido Class 28 video  on Youtube.

The model may be the best N gauge diesel to date, I have placed a pre-order for two, I'm luck to have seen a Cobo at work, hauling a train of oil tankers through Carnforth July 1968

• Agree 1

Does Rapido do this with Canadian and US outline models, is it popular.

Or is this some new vehicle to get more return on oddity models that don't have class 66 levels of liveries.

I personally was quite shocked that the APT-E April 1st new liveries announcement was not actually an April Fool, makes me glad you didn't do the HST Prototype - because quite clearly it would have been done in both of those liveries.

Starts to make me feel like we're being had for mugs, put any livery on a loco and people still buy it, kerching.

By the way, I am a customer, but I want authentic liveries and models not collector models.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or is this some new vehicle to get more return on oddity models

It's been happening for years; Triang, Hornby, Wrenn, Peco, Dapol, Heljan...

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

By the way, I am a customer, but I want authentic liveries and models not collector models.

I am steered towards authentic liveries, the pre-order book closes on May 1st, I think i read Rapido will only go forward with the RTC livery if sufficient numbers are pre-ordered

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's been happening for years; Triang, Hornby, Wrenn, Peco, Dapol...

And I never liked the Wrenn ones either lol.

Thing is, today we have different expectations about the models and you have Rapido, Accurascale et al  turning out some beautiful models and then up pop some non authentic liveries.  Should we expect to see some of the SECR wagons with LMS / GWR lettering?  For years we've had standard 3 /5 / 7 plank wagons in various pre nationalisation lettering but the same wagon and now we have them coming, proper versions of wagons appropriate to the company lettering they receive.

Ok I am probably narked about something else today and this has tipped me over, in the big scheme of things it's not the end of the world but I kinda expected something different from Rapido and maybe I feel a little let down.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bluedepot said:

hi rapido

please can green d5705 come with transfers for the buyer to add either d5705 or s15705? (and you could even include the carriage heater number whatever that was)

That will be TDB968006 then. Was languishing around Swindon Works around 1980....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And I never liked the Wrenn ones either lol.

Thing is, today we have different expectations about the models and you have Rapido, Accurascale et al  turning out some beautiful models and then up pop some non authentic liveries.  Should we expect to see some of the SECR wagons with LMS / GWR lettering?  For years we've had standard 3 /5 / 7 plank wagons in various pre nationalisation lettering but the same wagon and now we have them coming, proper versions of wagons appropriate to the company lettering they receive.

Ok I am probably narked about something else today and this has tipped me over, in the big scheme of things it's not the end of the world but I kinda expected something different from Rapido and maybe I feel a little let down.

Sometimes it can be hard being on the outside because you don't know the inside economics. I may be new to the business but the understanding I have gained is this;

To make a production run of models financially successful you need to hit a certain quota of orders. However, say your authentic liveries have sold short of your target and your product isn't as lucrative as it really ought to be? what do you do? 

There are two options, 1.either you go ahead and the whole venture proves to lack sufficient profit to pay for tooling the next product or worse, makes a loss. 2. You offer extra variants of your model in a fictional livery that expands the operational scope of a model i.e. an earlier or later era which will appeal to new groups of modellers who were previously not interested.

Whether you like or dislike the fictional liveries or not I hope you'll accept they are a practical solution which  can make the difference between the next model going to tooling or not. And by allowing the next model to be tooled, well overall that will give us more authentic models in the long run.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Why?

Alternatively, why not?

Easy to forget reading places like RMweb but not everyone in this hobby is attempting to accurately recreate the real thing.

For many it is simply running what they like, and if they like it why not let them have fun?

How about a class 15 or one of a multitude of steam engines that N gauge modellers might like and perhaps it would encourage more N gauge modellers.

How about selling fictitious liveries that can help both finance the models you want as well as draw more people into N, increasing the market size, making other models more viable?

Could you imagine if Bachmann announced a run of Mk1s in Virgin Red or a Peak in Inter City, we barely get enough of the correct stuff let alone having precious production slots filled with fake items.

The issue isn't the fictitious liveries but that Bachmann (and Hornby, etc.) are still stuck in the past and only doing 1 or 2 liveries in a production run.

The Rapido (and other new entrants) method of offering multiple liveries per run doesn't have the issue you fear.

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Does Rapido do this with Canadian and US outline models, is it popular.

Yes (albeit in a different way), and they have almost since their first product.

Several of their Canadian prototypes would not have been offered without "foobies" (North American derogatory term for it) where the other paint schemes were from prototypes that were close to the models Rapido offers.

Another company (Athearn, founded 1943, the big one in terms of US models) offers what they call "Legendary Liveries" on locos where they do the research and apply fallen flag paint schemes onto newer locos - and they have been very open that these models are very popular and sell very well - which in turn helps to fund the expensive new models people want.

I personally was quite shocked that the APT-E April 1st new liveries announcement was not actually an April Fool, makes me glad you didn't do the HST Prototype - because quite clearly it would have been done in both of those liveries.

So you would rather a model not be made just so there is no risk that a non-authentic livery that makes people in this hobby happy gets offered?

To be clear, I haven't been happy with some of the decisions Rapido (both North American and UK) have made over the last while.

But I fail to see the harm in offering a product some in this hobby want when not only does it not harm the desire you and I have for accurate models with accurate liveries but actually will enhance the ability of Rapido (or anyone else) to offer what we want by increasing sales.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

My expectation (hope) is for accurate, detailed models with accurate liveries.

But if the finances make that difficult to achieve I would rather we still get a highly accurate and detailed model with fictitious liveries than a model that needs to cut corners on the accuracy to cut costs to meet the sales projections of only offering authentic liveries.

More generally, my view is this.

I want accurate, highly detailed models with accurate liveries.

But it isn't my place to tell anyone else - whether currently in this hobby or considering this hobby - how they can or cannot enjoy it.

As long as the manufacturers continue to deliver the types of models that I care about then I don't care what else they do with that tooling to make other hobbyists happy and to help pay the bills to create more of the type of models I would like to see.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 4