Metro-Vick Type 2 Co-Bo - N Gauge

rapidoandy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Something this highlights yet again is how awful the rapido coupler looks. Maybe 30 years ago it wasn't such an issue but when we have such lovely models it just stands out like a sore thumb. I much prefer models to have a knuckle coupler as a default changeable to rapido rather than the other way around.

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Something this highlights yet again is how awful the rapido coupler looks. Maybe 30 years ago it wasn't such an issue but when we have such lovely models it just stands out like a sore thumb. I much prefer models to have a knuckle coupler as a default changeable to rapido rather than the other way around.

It's a good job that it comes fitted with NEM pockets then so they can easily be removed or swapped, but then again what would you swap it with? I'm not aware of anyone doing an MTL style coupler with NEM compatibility only makes that have external springs that tend to 'ping' into the abyss...! 🙄

• RMweb Premium

I tend to just fit the alternative knuckle couplers that come with Japanese models. They seem to be cheap, generic alternatives to a well known US brand but they work fine and make a vast improvement to looks (though Japanese trains use knuckle couples anyway so it looks prototypical in a way that they don't on many British and European trains).

Just now, jjb1970 said:

I tend to just fit the alternative knuckle couplers that come with Japanese models. They seem to be cheap, generic alternatives to a well known US brand but they work fine and make a vast improvement to looks (though Japanese trains use knuckle couples anyway so it looks prototypical in a way that they don't on many British and European trains).

I guess they suffer from the same issue as the larger 'rapido' couplers though, they can be eager to couple but not so eager to uncouple and uncoupling magnets or ramps are just not reliable enough. But I guess they do look better in size terms.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Roy L S said:

Looking fab, presumably production samples?

does this mean (hopefully) that delivery is still on the cards before the end of 2022?

Roy

Speaking to the Rapido guys today at Warley they said they should arrive before Christmas 😊

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2022 at 13:32, jjb1970 said:

I think OO tension locks are much worse than N rapidos! My answer is to fit the Dapol buckeyes and Easi-shunts as appropriate. They perform well, look discreet and are readily available.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2022 at 10:52, Roy L S said:

Looking fab, presumably production samples?

does this mean (hopefully) that delivery is still on the cards before the end of 2022?

Roy

Word from Warley was both the 28 and conflats will be here before Christmas. 

Tom. 

• Thanks 2

Only a couple of years ago I bought one of Leicester models lovely resin bodies, beautifully sprayed and weathered.  Fitted to a mix of Farish  31 and 25 bogies.  And now this comes out.  Takes me back to the days I had a Skytrex kit Crab and BR 264T and shortly after Farish produced their own versions!!  Hey Ho.  What to do.  Perhaps a blue one as my Leicester model is in green.

The problem with all these headcode disc locos (I have a Farish 24) is that they look silly without the discs (unless they always pull a Royal Train and it's dark!) but you usually can't store them in their boxes if the discs are fitted.  Hopefully the MV will have a block of ice type box!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just in the process of mashing words together for the NGN review of the 28, but it certainly has a quirky charm about it!

2028288883_rapidoclass28e.jpg.35f40d536dcec38832c30c9cacd162dd.jpg

Review should be up this evening. 

Tom. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, TomE said:

Just in the process of mashing words together for the NGN review of the 28, but it certainly has a quirky charm about it!

2028288883_rapidoclass28e.jpg.35f40d536dcec38832c30c9cacd162dd.jpg

Review should be up this evening. 

Tom. 

Word and images now up here

Tom. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2