Metro-Vick Type 2 Co-Bo - N Gauge

rapidoandy

On 12/01/2023 at 12:48, Steven B said:

It's how the functionality is described in the manual (and how mine works). It's a nice idea but as you say not without its faults. Switches aren't ideal either - remove the loco from the train and you'd have to lift the loco from the track (or take the lid off) to turn the tail lights back on.

If the magnetic switch had memory that retained its state after power is removed Rapido would be inundated with calls saying that the lights aren't working because the user has forgotten they've switched them off with the wand.

The only practical solution is DCC (or only run multiple units on DC!).

Steven B.

Thank you Steven.  As I plan to use the Co-Bo on suburban passenger trains (they appeared occasionally on my local line to Gourock between turns on the Condor) I'll put up with the tail lamps (they're quite dim anyway) or maybe snip the wires once it's out of warranty, as I have done with other unwanted illumination such as cab interiors.  I've modelled in N gauge since 1970 and there's absolutely no way I'm going to convert to DCC now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rule 1 purchase completed and D5705 (had to be that one as I saw it stored at Swindon and then at the ELR under restoration) now joined the roster. Running in and it seems to prefer to be a Co-Bo rather than a Bo-Co so far over the same track. It also seems to like to run light engine rather than haul a train, randomly leaving it's stock behind....

I'll give it a bit more running in before heading for a B exam......

• RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2023 at 21:03, Davexoc said:

Rule 1 purchase completed and D5705 (had to be that one as I saw it stored at Swindon and then at the ELR under restoration) now joined the roster. Running in and it seems to prefer to be a Co-Bo rather than a Bo-Co so far over the same track. It also seems to like to run light engine rather than haul a train, randomly leaving it's stock behind....

I'll give it a bit more running in before heading for a B exam......

Dave, first step is to check the ‘ears’ of the Bo bogie clashing with the white pipe assembly. Despite trimming off the downwards pointing ‘tail’ of the assembly, I’ve had to file the offending ‘ear’ quite harshly to avoid any interference.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2023 at 11:55, Crepello said:

Dave, first step is to check the ‘ears’ of the Bo bogie clashing with the white pipe assembly. Despite trimming off the downwards pointing ‘tail’ of the assembly, I’ve had to file the offending ‘ear’ quite harshly to avoid any interference.

I attacked it slightly differently, I trimmed the pipework down slightly, removing about 1mm and gluing it back on both reservoirs, so it now looks like this;

IMG_0052.JPG.7c09c2c62f527cb99263ea2166246f19.JPG

It now runs well in both directions, but still uncouples from stock usually derailing the wheelset of the first wagon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Hi Dave, have you spoken to the warranty dept. about this issue?

Will do, but I had another quick test earlier and 54 Farish tipplers ran fine, but an engineers train with a Queen Mary brake just will not play. The loco coupling rides up and I think because some long NEM rapidos are the other way around on the side face they don't require much in the way of a vertical track change to let go.

1269329083_Couplercomparison.jpg.124ccf9493026ef845d50917d420a261.jpg

Rapido Trains short NEM above with the angled face at the bottom, with a bit of mould mis-match

Farish or Dapol long NEM below with the angled face at the top, with signs of a short shot....

The top one rides high on the bottom so it hasn't got far to go before the two angles meet and uncouples.

Now I don't really know what is correct, because I have found all sorts of slight profile differences and a few poor quality couplings......

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried fitting a Farish or Dapol coupling to the Co-Bo?

For what it's worth, I haven't had any trouble with mine when running with Farish Mk1 or Stanier coaches and parcels vans. Haven't tried any other good stock yet.

Miss-matched Rapido coupling specifications is frustrating - my new Farish class 90 wouldn't go more than a few inches before uncoupling from a Dapol Mk3a.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steven B said:

Have you tried fitting a Farish or Dapol coupling to the Co-Bo?

For what it's worth, I haven't had any trouble with mine when running with Farish Mk1 or Stanier coaches and parcels vans. Haven't tried any other good stock yet.

Miss-matched Rapido coupling specifications is frustrating - my new Farish class 90 wouldn't go more than a few inches before uncoupling from a Dapol Mk3a.

Steven B.

I found it more reliable to fit a Dapol Easi-shunt to the 28 and similar on the first Conflat P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Any tips for fitting the headcode discs?  I can't actually see any holes in the body for them to push into.

Hi

The holes from memory are just below each light (the raised diamond shaped area)

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

11 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Any tips for fitting the headcode discs?  I can't actually see any holes in the body for them to push into.

6 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

The holes from memory are just below each light (the raised diamond shaped area)

Cheers

Paul

A b&gg£r to get them in and then they don't want to stay in - will need something to keep them in be it glue, black tack or prayer.

Edited by woodenhead

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting  discussion with Rapido Trains at the London Model Railway exhibition at Alley Pally for those of us who have returned the faulty sound fitted chips of class 28 locomotives. Whilst Rapido have adopted a professional approach and quickly identifying a viable fix to the issue , the response  to provide an update on the situation, and providing notification when the planned resolution completed so affected owners can enjoy this wonderful model was been a bit delayed .  The anticipated time frame given as about an additional three weeks before the affected owners receive their sound fitted models with fitted tested and working sound chip. 

On 18/03/2023 at 19:03, 4firstimes said:

Whilst Rapido have adopted a professional approach and quickly identifying a viable fix to the issue , the response  to provide an update on the situation, and providing notification when the planned resolution completed so affected owners can enjoy this wonderful model was been a bit delayed .

They did provide an update just under a month ago in their February 24th newsletter

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2023 at 23:54, mdvle said:

They did provide an update just under a month ago in their February 24th newsletter

To confirm mine returned in the post on Monday.  All now in full working order.  Well worth waiting for.  My thanks to Rapido for dealing with this in an open and professional manner.  Doubtless a number of lessons have been learnt that will be applied to the production of the Class 44.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine likewise (only on Saturday).

I'm not sure what Rapido can learn from this. ESU is a respected supplier and even checking sound chips in prototypes wouldn’t have helped in this case. ESU probably have rather more to learn, but I suspect the post-COVID parts shortages have been a factor.

• Like 1

mine also came back last week with a replacement chip.

seems ok so far.

I don't think rapido can be blamed because esu are well known brand and so just been unlucky.  I suppose more thorough testing of the decoders was one option but they wouldn't have expected such a wide ranging fault.

anyway now the co-bo has been delivered I am looking forward to buying some more diesel locos from rapido in the future.

cheers

tim

• Like 1

I ve received mine too, with two evenings of running in and testing, I can say I’m throughly impressed. Comparison with a non sound version I can  say that  I am extremely satisfied. After two failures on an early Christmas present one can empathise with my disappointment, remembering younger days opening a present and it doesn’t work, a childhood feeling.
 Together with  representation of the Class 44/45 models on the horizon, the interest is there. I will leave the options of sound or non versions open to debate, however with the availability of options easy to up-grade at a later date, Rapido have set an interesting option;  for  modellers to consider. With the current trend of decoders with the ability to embed sounds showing a significant difference between sound fitted and non sound fitted the market strategy of Rapido provides improvements with many of the after fit options which are emerging. 
As a group of railway modellers we should hold Rapido in high esteem with the professionalism, the little hiccup with ESU decoders. Both companies, ESU and Rapido have high standards of reputation, let’s hope the time taken for the resolution does not delay future models.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

One interesting statistic.

At the N Gauge show at York there were more Co-Bos running on layouts than BR had Co-Bos.   

There were three on James street, and four other pairs running on other layouts.  There might also have been others hiding in fiddle yards.

Les 

• Like 1