Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• RMweb Premium

I may well have devised a solution to the running gear problem which allows it to be used with AG wheels without modification.  Just need to replicate the crank stubs and then fix to the AG wheels.  I'll post 'the how to' elsewhere If I crack the problem.

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 13:00, Dominion said:

This is one of Wayne’s OO-SF single slips installed. It runs well. It goes together easily and fairly quickly. 99402002-C423-4551-940E-745F7A2EF618.jpeg.58b0377796f90131cb234021d0c8ff5c.jpegThe single slip beyond was hand built with Exactoscale chairs before Wayne produced 4mm kits and it took for ever in comparison.

Nicely built, sir! :)

• Thanks 1

On 04/12/2022 at 13:00, Dominion said:

This is one of Wayne’s OO-SF single slips installed. It runs well. It goes together easily and fairly quickly. 99402002-C423-4551-940E-745F7A2EF618.jpeg.58b0377796f90131cb234021d0c8ff5c.jpegThe single slip beyond was hand built with Exactoscale chairs before Wayne produced 4mm kits and it took for ever in comparison.

Looks really good! I'll be going for some after Xmas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This is a B7 OO-SF turnout kit installed now leading to the previous slip. I wanted it to have equalized timbering to match the slip instead of square on to the main road. Wayne's turnout kits so far have square on timbering.

However I had a spare heal end of a slip kit which does have equalized timbering from when I built the scissors and needed square on timbering earlier this year. So I was able to use that spare partial base in this turnout. You may be able to see the timbering changes from square on to equalized just at the near end of the check rails.IMG_3421.jpg.51c17af85cd29528e255a534555bea65.jpg

The kits are easy to splice 2 different base parts together. I just used a Templot printout (thank you Martin) to make sure I had the rail geometry right and then I used that to set the spacing between the 2 partial Finetrax base pieces.  The transition from square on to equalized is not at the same timber as Templot suggests, but it looks OK to me. 

Tom

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Merry Christmas everybody!! 🥳🎅

Likewise to you and a special thank you for enabling me to achieve something I'd never even thought about until your kits arrived on the scene.

While my results aren't at the level of those skilled in serious track building, they still provide me with a huge step up from working just with rigid set-track and more than meet all my needs 😎.  

Colin

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

I'd rather use fine scale but was wondering how far off the standard diamond crossing is as its available in standard OO.

Hi,

If you are running only RTR models you can mix 00-SF and Standard 00 on the same layout.

Martin.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This is another of Wayne's OO-SF number 7 single slips. The main traffic flow in this part of my layout is along the slip road so I have flexed the base away from the slip route between the frogs, and flexed each end of the base into the curve to get a more gentle curve on the slip route. I was pleasantly surprised how readily the base took the curve with some judicious web cutting. 

Wayne really has produced an extremely useful product.IMG_3467.jpg.3578a70b67a6d55736c388cf046c140a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Having finally managed to update my Bachmann 5MT with Alan Gibson wheels using the original RTR motion gear, separate thread under Modifying RTR Stock, I have uploaded a video of the loco running through Wayne's Double Slip and B7s.  I used DCC Concepts insulated fishplates in my test track update and may have to take them out as they leave quite large gaps hence the bumps at the ends of turnouts, nothing wrong with Wayne's product.  I will adopt the unifrog approach going forward and have small insulating gaps near the crossing V so that I can use conventional fishplates.   More lesson learnt..!  There are a few intermittent pickup issues on the 5MT due to the smaller area on the back of AG wheels but I will find a solution.  Have doubled the weight of the tender from 70g to 140g, it was just too light.  Need to add more weight to the front of the loco or pony truck.

Hats off to Wayne and sorry about the delay.

On to the Lima HST conversions...!

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
added additional info
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just watched the first Hornby programme where TT was the focus.  Go me thinking, with virtually no track gauge error, but the usual unrealistic turnout  and track is there a market for more realistic track and in particular turnouts?  We have no bullhead track and no proper turnouts.  is this a market for Wayne here?  if it is my planned layout shrinks from EM quite a bit to TT with no re-gauging  required.  As long as the core manufacturers start making products..!

Patrick

23 minutes ago, NFWEM57 said:

Just watched the first Hornby programme where TT was the focus.  Go me thinking, with virtually no track gauge error, but the usual unrealistic turnout  and track is there a market for more realistic track and in particular turnouts?  We have no bullhead track and no proper turnouts.  is this a market for Wayne here?  if it is my planned layout shrinks from EM quite a bit to TT with no re-gauging  required.  As long as the core manufacturers start making products..!

Patrick

Just do the job proper.....join 3mm society ...British finescale track B5 B6 left and right point B6 crossovers left and right  B7 double slip....all in 14.2mm gauge....EM ish in 3mm! Had B6 points already just ordered the B5s crossover and double slip... time for some 12mm ply...

I'm sure British finescale are keeping a eye on tt120 as a nice size branch line in 12mm gauge with fine looking bullhead will look sweet...peco looks OK ish for mainline but bit heavy for branch line...I wonder who is going to have first tt120...proper layout at a show? ..(not scotsman screaming around a pine table!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NFWEM57 said:

with virtually no track gauge error

They have made the classic mistake of using over-scale RTR wheel profiles on an exact-scale track gauge.

As a result, all the models will be over scale width below the footplate to allow for the thicker wheels and side-play for curves. (Just like in H0 -- are you listening NMRA?)

There is a reason why the established UK scales use a reduced track gauge for RTR -- 00, EM, 0-MF, 0-Fine, UK-N. That way our RTR models can be exact scale models, ripe for conversion to the finer scales if wanted. You can't do that with H0 or TT:120, they are not scale models to start with.

We sensibly keep the exact-gauge track for exact-scale wheels only -- P4, S7, etc.

TT-120 would have been much more attractive on 11mm gauge. That way they could be exact scale models, easily converted to P-120 exact-scale wheels on 11.96mm gauge, and possibly generated a whole new finescale hobby segment. And on 11mm gauge the Hornby designers would have had a much better chance of getting them round train-set curves.

Heaven knows why modellers are so fixated on the track gauge, it's not important compared with other factors. For example, the TT:120 steam locos will look daft with the splashers about a foot wider than the prototype.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Heaven knows why modellers are so fixated on the track gauge, it's not important compared with other factors. For example, the TT:120 steam locos will look daft with the splashers about a foot wider than the prototype.

As if your average modeller will notice, let alone care!

Mike.

• Like 1