Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

7 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

I've just released the 00-SF 1in7 Single Slip kit:

https://www.britishfinescale.com/product-p/finetrax-00-sf-1in7-singleslip.htm

442025117_singleslipup.JPG.f73ab9ced92adf932d532ab62dc00592.JPG

Working on the EM Gauge Single Slip kit this afternoon, hopefully have this on the website this evening :)

What kits do you guys want to see next? 

EM 1:6 diamond, single slip and double slip to compliment the EMGS's B6 points and plain track.  I think a 1:6 range in OO-FS would also become popular.

Regards,

Frank

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Nick C said:

Having used Wayne's 00-SF kits on my current layout, I wouldn't bother with standard 00 any more (except in fiddleyards perhaps). Most RTR wheels are fine on SF - I just tried a quick test, pushing a rake of three Mainline and two 'made in England' era Hornby wagons went through a B7 quite happily - so unless someone is using Lima or Tri-ang wheels you ought to be fine...

(My bold)

I built a copper clad based 00-SF B6 and ran an unmodified Lima class 31 through without any problem.

I admit I didn't have any Lima wheeled rolling stock so that might be a different story. The depth of the flanges and the back-to-back are obviously key.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

My planned EM layout requires (bold already satisfied) :

Curved Crossovers which will likely need to be hand made but I will see if I can curve a BF 1:7 crossing

Double Slip B7

Crossing Pairs B8, C8, C10  from BF as well as D12, G16 and G18 which I will need to hand make

Turnouts B6, B7, B8, C9, C10 from BF as well as D10, G14, G16 and G18 which I will need to hand make

Catch Points

Edited by NFWEM57
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Long curved turnouts actually save space.

It means you can build pointwork into the curves at the end of the layout, leaving more space for the station area on the straight.

I use a lot of curved points in my storage loops for exactly that reason. 00 B8s with an outer radius of approx 48" and an inner radius of approx 30", length about 9" from crossing nose to switch tips.

Edited by St Enodoc
add gauge
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2022 at 22:05, Ramblin Rich said:

(My bold)

I built a copper clad based 00-SF B6 and ran an unmodified Lima class 31 through without any problem.

I admit I didn't have any Lima wheeled rolling stock so that might be a different story. The depth of the flanges and the back-to-back are obviously key.

There shouldn't be a problem As I may have mentioned on other threads, the MRC's "New Annington" layout built in the late 1970s/early 1980s had the branch track built to 16.2mm gauge by the late Frank Dyer of "Borchester "fame. We had no problems with Lima cheeses cutter wheels except with f/s bullhead rail used elsewhere on the layout the flanges sometimes ran on the sleepers! The branch had a double slip to about 2' radius and that worked perfectly, but them most things Frank built did work perfectly and even looked right.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

What track centres for the crossover??

Haha, exactly what I'm reseaching right now as you posted.

I have already made a design at 50mm track centres, but this is not prototypical (too far apart)!

I would love to hear peoples input on track centres. Remember that exactly scaling down of the 6 foot way doesn't work as that measures from the insides of the running rails, and of course 00 Gauge doesn't use a prototypical track gauge! So it's best to use prototypical 'track centres' and work from there...

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, roythebus1 said:

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't work on sharp curves though. :) Especially with Mk3 coaches or GWR 70 footers.

That's right but for Wayne's points in standard configuration on straight track it's the right starting point (pun intended).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I believe 44.67mm is prototypical...

Hi Wayne,

For Standard 00 I suggest the established centres of 51mm (2") to match the Peco bullhead range. Users of that track might want to try Finetrax, and at 51mm centres it would be a drop-in replacement for a Peco crossover.

For 00-SF and EM I suggest 44.67mm. It's prototypical and gets more pointwork in a smaller space. Users of those gauges know what they are doing when it comes to curves, and will appreciate stuff being correct to prototype.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, KeithHC said:

And a new range for TT 120………. Just saying……….

Keith

12 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Go on upset peco! And Hornby all at once,

Looking at pictures of Hornby tt120 the wheels look nice just right for BF track ...would that be on code 50 rail

Wow, I've only just seen the announcement! Looking really good!

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Haha, exactly what I'm reseaching right now as you posted.

I have already made a design at 50mm track centres, but this is not prototypical (too far apart)!

I would love to hear peoples input on track centres. Remember that exactly scaling down of the 6 foot way doesn't work as that measures from the insides of the running rails, and of course 00 Gauge doesn't use a prototypical track gauge! So it's best to use prototypical 'track centres' and work from there...

It's not too far apart for GWR double track that was relaid on broad gauge spacings. 😉

• Like 3