Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of slips, would I be right in assuming that a B7 double slip drawn in Templot will match the finetrax double slip?   If not what will it need to be drawn as to match?   About to order the board for the layout extension so will be needing to get the track sorted soon.  But before I do I wanted to ensure that my Templot plan is actually going to match the track that I am going to be building.

On 11/03/2024 at 21:17, roythebus1 said:

This thread has been a bit quiet just lately, has Wayne extended the range recently? New additions? How are sales doing?

Hi,

I've been working quietly in the background, recently on kits for the societies. I've just finished a P4 Gauge A6 for the Scale Four Society, and a 2FS B7 Standard Crossover for the 2mm Scale Association.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I've been working quietly in the background, recently on kits for the societies. I've just finished a P4 Gauge A6 for the Scale Four Society, and a 2FS B7 Standard Crossover for the 2mm Scale Association.

Sounds very interesting, Wayne, a P4 A6. Is that only available from Scalefour Stores (I am a member)?

In the meantime, awaiting the delivery of my first Finetrax kit - an OO A5, which I will build to see how I get on with it and for comparison with my existing method of using copper clad for point construction. Eventually the A5 will be used in another (very) small cameo set up.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Speaking of slips, would I be right in assuming that a B7 double slip drawn in Templot will match the finetrax double slip?   If not what will it need to be drawn as to match?   About to order the board for the layout extension so will be needing to get the track sorted soon.  But before I do I wanted to ensure that my Templot plan is actually going to match the track that I am going to be building.

Hi,

Yes it will match as they begin from templot templates.

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Sounds very interesting, Wayne, a P4 A6. Is that only available from Scalefour Stores (I am a member)?

In the meantime, awaiting the delivery of my first Finetrax kit - an OO A5, which I will build to see how I get on with it and for comparison with my existing method of using copper clad for point construction. Eventually the A5 will be used in another (very) small cameo set up.

Hi,

Yes currently only direct from the Scalefour Stores.

You should receive your order today.

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Thanks 1

I've already replaced a troublesome home-made double slip (Templot based) and Wayne's double slip kit fitted perfectly. But that was on the straight. The single slip is curved on both roads! I've got a tracing so will transfer that to Templot and have a look.

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

@martin_wynne

Could you please edit the thread title removing the "possibly P4" as these have now been released, thanks.

You might want to contact @NFWEM57 to do that, unless they and @martin_wynne are one and the same?

• Like 1

• martin_wynne changed the title to Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)
6 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

You might want to contact @NFWEM57 to do that, unless they and @martin_wynne are one and the same?

Patrick started the thread, however Martin has been editing and changing the thread title through the years as he is a mod...

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Patrick started the thread, however martin has been editing and changing the thread title through the years as he is a mod...

Long green coat....scooter and a paul weller album 😄

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Wayne Kinney said:

Patrick started the thread, however martin has been editing and changing the thread title through the years as he is a mod...

@Wayne Kinney

Hi Wayne,

I have limited moderator privileges on this section of RMweb only, because it specifically references Templot.

I have updated the title to refer to the Scalefour Society for the P4 kits. Are you planning to add them to your own web site?

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Patrick started the thread, however Martin has been editing and changing the thread title through the years as he is a mod...

Whoops, sorry.

😳🤭😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I have no control..!  However, i am working on a  B8 flat bottom vertical shallow depth turnout design.  We have had the prototype for 40 + years..! Separate thread. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My first order arrived this morning, I’m going to enjoy building one of these kits tomorrow afternoon, when my eldest grandson drops by for his weekly model making session.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2024 at 22:47, roythebus1 said:

It's firmly stuck down, i'll make a tracing of it. I'm almost certain it's a B8, most pointwork is on this layout.

It was all originally built to DOOGAF as that seemed to be the done thing16 years ago, I got fed up with pushing BtoBs out to 14.8 so opted for 16.2 gauge instead. That's ok on turnouts with a bit of tweaking, but not on k crossings. There's a 4 track double junction on the curve to rebuild as well and maybe move it nearer the station, but that's across a board joint.

20 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

I've already replaced a troublesome home-made double slip (Templot based) and Wayne's double slip kit fitted perfectly. But that was on the straight. The single slip is curved on both roads! I've got a tracing so will transfer that to Templot and have a look.

The issue with diamond crossings and slips is that the distance between the two V crossings is determined by the gauge as well as the crossing angle  it is only about 2%  between 16.5 and 16.2 but can introduce some slight distortion. Templot allows you to set the correct gauge but there will be slight differences.

Don

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Donw said:

The issue with diamond crossings and slips is that the distance between the two V crossings is determined by the gauge as well as the crossing angle  it is only about 2%  between 16.5 and 16.2 but can introduce some slight distortion. Templot allows you to set the correct gauge but there will be slight differences.

But this is an issue with ordinary pointwork too, as the gauge affects the distance between crossing and switch. Thus any formation of pointwork in 00 takes up less space than the same formation in EM or P4, which is something to be borne in mind if trying to model a real location in 00 - the narrow gauge is an aid to compression.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

But this is an issue with ordinary pointwork too, as the gauge affects the distance between crossing and switch. Thus any formation of pointwork in 00 takes up less space than the same formation in EM or P4, which is something to be borne in mind if trying to model a real location in 00 - the narrow gauge is an aid to compression.

In some ways quite true, but with turnouts it can easily be smoothed out, 

With a diamond the important thing is the distance between the Vee tips, only 1 vee in a turnout

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A very pleasant and productive afternoon in my workshop, building this.

IMG_20240314_162748_Original.jpeg.0e89f09938097d0e4afdf33c44627439.jpeg

I found it a bit tricky at first and it took me a while to realise I needed to file the rails at the bottom, as there was a slight burr, where they’d been cut, before I could get them to slide into the chairs. Once this was done, it was very easy to finish it, taking about 1hr 45 min. The rest will be built when I begin laying the track. There is a burr on the top of the rail as well, this was also removed. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

A very pleasant and productive afternoon in my workshop, building this.

I'm quite tempted to go this route instead of building totally from scratch.  I'm a confident turnout builder (because against all odds, they've all worked) but not so with the thought of a double slip 🤔

Glad to know it's a pleasant experience 👍

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

My first attempt at one of Wayne's kits was a double slip. It didn't take too long to build and works properly, something I've not managed with my home-made efforts. I'm ok with single slips, but doubles have been a problem! The kits save a lot of hard work and are well worth the money.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

This was a problem with the Folkestone MRC's Alkham Valley layout, a superb bit of modelling to EM gauge. The owner died and left the layout to the club but his widower sold all the stock. Nobody in the club had any EM stock, so they took the decision to convert it to 00 gauge which is where I came in. I got volunteered to convert it which involved taking up all the EM track and making new. As we found, track centres are different and so is the distance between V crossings on the points. Nobody bothered taking a tracing of the old geometry which may have made the job a bit easier.

I took measurements from spots on the baseboard where the switch ends were and holes for wiring. Guesswork and Templot came to my help, all built and nearly running, but not quite right in places.

0782BED7-2A4A-49BD-8384-E97F9F4FE895.jpe

Edited by roythebus1
add photo
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1