Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy New Year 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Wayne, I've noticed a very small fault in the 00 kit. Although it's not a problem I thought it worth a mention.

It must be said that I've had this kit for a good few months now so I would suspect that it's been corrected since mine was despatched!

If you look at the track base and timber in the area of the pink highlighter arrow, the last check rail chair is missing and is only formed under the 

stock rail.

20240104_222416_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Gary H said:

Good evening Wayne, I've noticed a very small fault in the 00 kit. Although it's not a problem I thought it worth a mention.

It must be said that I've had this kit for a good few months now so I would suspect that it's been corrected since mine was despatched!

If you look at the track base and timber in the area of the pink highlighter arrow, the last check rail chair is missing and is only formed under the 

stock rail.

20240104_222416_resized.jpg

May be this isn't the place for quality control issues 🤔 try a personal message. Just my opinion your welcome to do what you wish.

Don't forget small suppliers like this do it almost as service to a limited fan base at a very reasonable cost and if they get pissed off we all lose!

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

May be this isn't the place for quality control issues 🤔 try a personal message. Just my opinion your welcome to do what you wish.

Don't forget small suppliers like this do it almost as service to a limited fan base at a very reasonable cost and if they get pissed off we all lose!

G

As I said in my original post, "it's not a problem" 

More of an interest. 

Having looked other examples of BH points out there,  especially the RTR variety,  I'm very grateful to Wayne for bringing these to the market and I very much doubt he'll be "pissed off" as you eloquently put it for my mentioning  a very minor issue. 

Thanks for the constructive input though.🙄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

G

I think this is just the right place for this query.

It's not a slagging off and I find Wayne has always been open to remarks and suggestions.

After all, this is a discussion forum.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Gary,

Sorry about that. I beleive you purchased this kit in January 2022? This was indeed a CAD error made on my behalf but was quickly corrected in early 2022.

If you buzz me an email I would be pleased to send you a replacement base.

Sorry for any inconvenience!

Regarding construction, looks like you've done a great job however attention should be drawn to the knuckle position, it should location where the blue line is on the template to ensure smooth running:

image.png.ce32bbf9849951d6b0aa57f72cdcaab1.png

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 minute ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I'm idly starting to think about planning a new layout and I'm very tempted to give these a try!

Matt

Matt

I have one of the earlier type of turnouts. It is an excellent model

I would be hard pressed to better it scratch building in its standard format.

As for value, just look at other companies products and prices and looks. I would assume a professional track builder would charge 3 figures to build one and I doubt many could tell the difference.

Looking at the budget end of RTR, they are worlds apart visually, especially if you choose either the 00SF versions

They must be a great boon to those modelling in EM & S4 gauges especially with both the cost and ease of build

Finally it looks like they can be altered to a different orientation without too much trouble

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Matt

I have one of the earlier type of turnouts. It is an excellent model

I would be hard pressed to better it scratch building in its standard format.

As for value, just look at other companies products and prices and looks. I would assume a professional track builder would charge 3 figures to build one and I doubt many could tell the difference.

Looking at the budget end of RTR, they are worlds apart visually, especially if you choose either the 00SF versions

They must be a great boon to those modelling in EM & S4 gauges especially with both the cost and ease of build

Finally it looks like they can be altered to a different orientation without too much trouble

Errr don't forget the 3mmers at 14.2mm gauge.!

Will echo above cracking value kit and simple even with sausage fingers!

But mat don't get us all exited with lovely half finished train set and then pull the plug!😃 at least your ahead with wagon allocation.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Errr don't forget the 3mmers at 14.2mm gauge.!

Will echo above cracking value kit and simple even with sausage fingers!

But mat don't get us all exited with lovely half finished train set and then pull the plug!😃 at least your ahead with wagon allocation.

Sorry about that 😬

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Please excuse my presumption in asking this question, when the answer is probably contained somewhere within the 77 pages of this thread, but are the bases of these kits 3-D printed or injection moulded, please?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Please excuse my presumption in asking this question, when the answer is probably contained somewhere within the 77 pages of this thread, but are the bases of these kits 3-D printed or injection moulded, please?

Thanks.

3D printed.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been a bit quiet just lately, has Wayne extended the range recently? New additions? How are sales doing?

I'm looking at replacing a hand-built single slip on my layout, the problem is that it's on a curve of possible 60" or 72" radius, I can't remember, I lost the Templot plan for it many years ago. ISTR it's either a B6 or B8, 00 gauge. the slip road is on the outside of the curve and is almost straight. Would one of Wayne's curve to that sort of radius?

Edited by roythebus1

• RMweb Premium

You could measure the existing slip to see what the crossing angle is! I mark the head of the rail where the V rail gauge faces are 10mm apart and then measure from the nose, the CMs shown on the rule, will give you the 1 in* value. The B is the switch.

It's firmly stuck down, i'll make a tracing of it. I'm almost certain it's a B8, most pointwork is on this layout.

It was all originally built to DOOGAF as that seemed to be the done thing16 years ago, I got fed up with pushing BtoBs out to 14.8 so opted for 16.2 gauge instead. That's ok on turnouts with a bit of tweaking, but not on k crossings. There's a 4 track double junction on the curve to rebuild as well and maybe move it nearer the station, but that's across a board joint.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

It's firmly stuck down, i'll make a tracing of it. I'm almost certain it's a B8, most pointwork is on this layout.

It was all originally built to DOOGAF as that seemed to be the done thing16 years ago, I got fed up with pushing BtoBs out to 14.8 so opted for 16.2 gauge instead. That's ok on turnouts with a bit of tweaking, but not on k crossings. There's a 4 track double junction on the curve to rebuild as well and maybe move it nearer the station, but that's across a board joint.

In that case, a photograph and resize it once on the computer?

Mike.

• Agree 1