Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

The A6 was at the request of the Scale Four Society.

My plans are for a B6 in EM and 00 Gauge, at least first. An A6 possibly further down the line (no pun).

I think I need to do some redrawing of my next layout plan to shift to a B6 point in that case!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Kinney said:

The A6 was at the request of the Scale Four Society.

My plans are for a B6 in EM and 00 Gauge, at least first. An A6 possibly further down the line (no pun).

Wayne

I remember talking to Len Newman about 1-6 turnouts and he was very much in favour of using A switches, He stated to me it looks better, (though to me they look similar) and as the Scalefour society has requested A switches on a 1-6 turnout I was wondering why you are choosing to fit B switches in 00 & EM gauges

In EM gauge both an A6 & B6 turnout have the same external (substitution) radius of 74".

An A6 measures 273.5mm against 296.07 for a B6 turnout.

I can see that an A6 would take up slightly less room than a B6 which may be a bonus for modelers with limited space. The aspect I had not taken into consideration is the smallest radii  An A6 is 43" surprisingly the smallest radius in a B6 is 41".

Seems to me that the A switch is both shorter and has a larger smaller radius within the turnout. Or is there something I am missing ?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Seems to me that the A switch is both shorter and has a larger smaller radius within the turnout. Or is there something I am missing ?

Hi John,

"A" switches have a sharper 1:24 deflection angle, which makes them unsuitable for running lines. An A-6 is far more prototypical than a B-6, but is found only in yards and sidings. A B-6 is rare on the prototype, but is a good modeller's compromise. It's the shortest turnout which can be used in running lines and look the part, and the gentler 1:32 "B" deflection means a B-6 turnout can be curved within reason if necessary. An A-6 turnout can't be curved much, if at all, except in the contraflexure direction. If you wanted to make the shortest practical curved crossover in running lines for example, it would have a B-6 turnout on the outside, and an A-6 turnout on the inside.

I think Wayne has made the right decision for 00/EM, given that if you want a short turnout he already does an A-5. A B-6 will be more useful as an in-between size from the B-7. No doubt the Scalefour Society have chosen A-6 because they don't yet have an A-5 in P4, and might have chosen either of them.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi John,

"A" switches have a sharper 1:24 deflection angle, which makes them unsuitable for running lines. An A-6 is far more prototypical than a B-6, but is found only in yards and sidings. A B-6 is rare on the prototype, but is a good modeller's compromise. It's the shortest turnout which can be used in running lines and look the part, and the gentler 1:32 "B" deflection means a B-6 turnout can be curved within reason if necessary. An A-6 turnout can't be curved much, if at all, except in the contraflexure direction. If you wanted to make the shortest practical curved crossover in running lines for example, it would have a B-6 turnout on the outside, and an A-6 turnout on the inside.

I think Wayne has made the right decision for 00/EM, given that if you want a short turnout he already does an A-5. A B-6 will be more useful as an in-between size from the B-7. No doubt the Scalefour Society have chosen A-6 because they don't yet have an A-5 in P4, and might have chosen either of them.

cheers,

Martin.

Martin

Thanks for the insight, I guess its down to personal preferences

What I am finding out is that opinions do vary, in some cases we try and adhere to prototypical practices, in others we must compromise either as it will not scale down and or not required when modelling, keeps us chatting for hours

Then new techniques pop up, and or views change. It certainly is a good time for trackwork, with kits for both EM and P4 turnouts and crossings not only back on the scene but with improved detail and easy to build, and 00 gauge modellers getting 4mm scale track, looking more prototypical to boot.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

@Wayne Kinney are you planning a 3 way of some sort?

5 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Wrong Web sight.......try a local dating app

3 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Should always read before posting dang it

Talking of actual trackwork!, I wouldn't have thought that a 3 way, despite it's possibilities, would be a commercial proposition, (even though I could do with a couple), partly because there are 3 handing options, which would dilute the market further.

As the components are available individually it shouldn't be too onerous to construct one the old fashioned way.

Mind you, I'd like to be proved wrong, but I need to know soon before I embark on building the the ones I need!

As for the other sort, well, never say never!!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Talking of actual trackwork!, I wouldn't have thought that a 3 way, despite it's possibilities, would be a commercial proposition, (even though I could do with a couple), partly because there are 3 handing options, which would dilute the market further.

As the components are available individually it shouldn't be too onerous to construct one the old fashioned way.

Mind you, I'd like to be proved wrong, but I need to know soon before I embark on building the the ones I need!

Mike.

Probably very many more options as there always have been. Certainly in the RTR market usually only a single option

I am always promoting building your own but I find tandems/3 ways the hardest turnouts to build, and I bet whatever choice Wayne makes (if he ever does) someone will always want something different.

It surprises me how well Wayne seems to cope with all the range options he has to date, I think he runs a very well organised business

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

I remember reading somewhere that they were far more commonplace as found on modellers' layouts (space saving) than in real life. (totally unverifiable as no source). Maybe vaguely Freudian notes expressing themselves?

I had one on my old layout for that very same reason (space saving; to be clear) and found it to be the most unfriendly hardware.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2023 at 19:46, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi,

They are currently only available via the ScaleFour Society...

Hi Wayne,

For future reference is there another way of disabling purchasing whilst you are away, rather than disabling/taking down the entire website?  i went to take a look at your product range today but was unable to do so 😢

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

Tandem 3 way points were not uncommon, I believe the symmetrical ones were very unusual.

Of course practice would vary between companies particularly pre grouping.

Symmetrical 3-way points limited to slow-speed locations (eg goods yards) as both wheels on an axle will tend to drop into the crossing - causing rough running.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Insofar as the 00-sf single and double slips are concerned, if I started with a B-7 Turnout in Templot and then simple convert this to a single/double slip then will the resulting template generated be the same as the British Finescale Kit?  The reason I ask is there seems to be a very slight difference in length between the Templot Template and the template shown on the BF website.

The reason I ask is purely for the purposes of generating a layout plan using Templot - where the appropriate kit could be used without any issue.

Also, is a B-7 Turnout suitable for use with both large RTR and Kitbuilt** Locos without issue (e.g. too sharp/tight etc.)?

(** I realise that sideplay on the wheelsets also has a bearing here).

Many thanks,

Brian

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Also, is a B-7 Turnout suitable for use with both large RTR and Kitbuilt** Locos without issue (e.g. too sharp/tight etc.)?

A video paints a thousand words...  This is a converted 5MT with Alan Gibson wheels running through B7 turnouts and the 1:7 double slip from British Finescale.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll be getting a couple of these kits in after Christmas. Just one question for @Wayne Kinney. Are the kits handed or can you build turnouts to suit if you needed 3 right and one left, for instance?

Obviously I still need to move the boards for New Brunswick Town to the new club room before anything else.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

7 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

I'll be getting a couple of these kits in after Christmas. Just one question for @Wayne Kinney. Are the kits handed or can you build turnouts to suit if you needed 3 right and one left, for instance?

Obviously I still need to move the boards for New Brunswick Town to the new club room before anything else.

Screenshot_20231212-174807_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

A video paints a thousand words...  This is a converted 5MT with Alan Gibson wheels running through B7 turnouts and the 1:7 double slip from British Finescale.  

Excellent - many thanks for posting that

Brian

Turnouts are left hand or right hand. I've recently replaced a hand-built double slip with a Finetrax kit 00sf, the spacing depends on your track centres. Wayne allows a lot of extra rail so you can cut them to length and add or remove sleepers as required.

I've had no trouble with the double slip at all, even continental stock runs through it as well as locos with Gibson and Ultrascale wheels. 

Remember if you're doing a curved crossover you need 2 point kits of the same hand. simply bend the kits on the Templot template. the effect ooks far better than the Peco idea of using a left hand and right hand point. Because the model is based on the prototype, the radius is unlikely to go below a set parameter on the Templot template. On Template set your main radius, make double track with your set centres, insert turnout in curve, roll to desired position, then make crossover. Easy once you know how.

Edited by roythebus1
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1