Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

For info though I admit this would have been far more helpful if I'd taken photo's but I found a small 6 pin wired harness Zimo decoder fits without modification with the Hornby 6 pin socket black tacked  on top of the motor, the decoder tacked on top of the gearbox and the wires carefully coiled and secured below the decoder. I think a direct 6 pin decoder would also fit but a speaker for sound and stay alive if desired would I think have to go into the cab. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

For info though I admit this would have been far more helpful if I'd taken photo's but I found a small 6 pin wired harness Zimo decoder fits without modification with the Hornby 6 pin socket black tacked  on top of the motor, the decoder tacked on top of the gearbox and the wires carefully coiled and secured below the decoder. I think a direct 6 pin decoder would also fit but a speaker for sound and stay alive if desired would I think have to go into the cab. 

A SA needs to go in the cab but if that suppressor thing is removed from the motor, an ESU speaker will fit in front of the motor. I used a 6 pin Zimo MS500 that plugs directly into the Hornby socket and saves having extra wires to fit in.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Lovely looking model (Engineer's loco), but it looks like I am going to have to hardwire in a wired decoder as the direct pin Zen Blue I fitted proved to be too much of a squeeze and despite careful refitting of the body managed to sever two of the socket pins, dammit. The 48DS chip fitting was a breeze compared to the 88!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

How does one get into the cab of these? Attempting to fit crew to mine, and assumed it was the two addition screws on the underside holding the cab on, but its still held fast. Any tips?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SDJR7F88 said:

How does one get into the cab of these? Attempting to fit crew to mine, and assumed it was the two addition screws on the underside holding the cab on, but its still held fast. Any tips?

It requires quite a bit of courage and a bit of strength!

Squeeze the lower cabsides until you hear the glue crack - judicious application of a thin blade may help.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

48 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It requires quite a bit of courage and a bit of strength!

Squeeze the lower cabsides until you hear the glue crack - judicious application of a thin blade may help.

CJI.

Cheers for the quick response. Will give it a go. Do the aforementioned screws have anything to do with the cab?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

There are two screws that hold the cab to the frame/running plate but if all you want to do is to add crew figures then there's no point at all in removing the cab as the only access into it is by removing the roof. The cab is metal and the roof is plastic. Flex and crack the glue around the top of the cab and get a sharp scalpel blade in if necessary. The roof will come off quite easily.

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 5

8 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Cheers for the quick response. Will give it a go. Do the aforementioned screws have anything to do with the cab?

As far as I recall - yes.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I purchased a new one of these at the York Show and attempted a test run today.

Sadly although the motor appears to work it is clearly not connected to the wheels!

I have sent a message to the retailer but wondered if anyone else had encountered the same issue and if it is an easy fix which I could do myself - I am yet to open it up and won't do so until I hear back from the shop.

Chris

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I purchased a new one of these at the York Show and attempted a test run today.

Sadly although the motor appears to work it is clearly not connected to the wheels!

I have sent a message to the retailer but wondered if anyone else had encountered the same issue and if it is an easy fix which I could do myself - I am yet to open it up and won't do so until I hear back from the shop.

Chris

Easy fix - pop the body off and click the motor back in its retainer. Its more obvious than I describe when you look :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Easy fix - pop the body off and click the motor back in its retainer. Its more obvious than I describe when you look :)

Also check that the two screws that hold the motor mount are done up properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

Interesting that the own has fitted vacuum bag, I’m sure it can’t make a brake tho?

Vacuum brake equipment was fitted back in the early 90s, when this loco was based at the Middleton Railway, Leeds.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, steve1 said:

I reckon it looks the part. Glad I hung on for this livery.

steve

96E07B64-E352-49CA-A922-4E754A5EDD02.jpeg

It does look rather smart!

However I'm puzzled by the cab door and rear cab windows being painted over - presumably it's only ever driven forwards........🤪!?

• Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 03:25, Halvarras said:

However I'm puzzled by the cab door and rear cab windows being painted over - presumably it's only ever driven forwards........🤪!?

In preservation, 421415 has vandal protection boards fitted over the windows, which are finished in the body colour. These were on when surveyed by Hornby. Join the dots 🙄

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

In preservation, 421415 has vandal protection boards fitted over the windows, which are finished in the body colour. These were on were surveyed by Hornby. Join the dots 🙄

You would think that someone entrusted with surveying a prototype loco would have been able to detect temporary fixtures!

Did it not occur to ANYONE during the design and approval process that there was an odd lack of provision for side and rear-view visibility?

What have I previously posted about Hornby and a lack of railway knowledge - (swiftly rebutted by one of our Moderators)?!?

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Hang on... I haven't seen a photo of the cab rear on this particular model. Have they really done it without rear windows?

Sorry - wrong picture!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1