Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

Well well well. Ordered my BR Blue No20 from Rails of Sheffield on Thursday morning arrived this morning. Thank you Rails for your excellent service. Package was spot on with no waste. Opened it up and WOW it has to be one of the smoothest runners I have. Having seen the original sat at Reading many times as a kid its just how I remember. This has literally become my new favourite Loco. Couldnt stop grinning like a chesire cat.  Thanks Hornby for producing such a lovely little Model.

Ive attached a couple of Shots on My Little Boys Layout, one on the scales and next to my DJH 02 for a size comparison. 

Cheers Trailrage

20231202_132004.jpg

20231202_132031.jpg

20231202_182211.jpg

20231202_182257.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, equaliser said:

I really like the look of this loco. Does anyone know which kind of 6-pin decoder fits? The direct fit or the wiring harness version?

Building on this, is there space for a stay alive? I’m planning on using a DCC Concepts Zen Blue 6pin decoder with a small stay alive for mine

• Like 1

4 hours ago, equaliser said:

I really like the look of this loco. Does anyone know which kind of 6-pin decoder fits? The direct fit or the wiring harness version?

Sams Trains has a review of  it on Youtube

The decoder socket is on the of loose wiring atop the motor so a direct fit 6 pin ought to fit. Alternatively it looks like yet another Hornby model where a hard wired decoder could actually result in a far neater wiring ararngement.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

This is a real gem and the only Photo I've ever seen of No 20 on the Mainline. There are Photos of it at Reading Depot open day in 1971 so have to assume it was driven to and from the Signal Works. Most likely using the Bridge Connection to the lines at the back of what was Platform 10. Although there was a connection between Vastern Road Yard and the NCL Depot opposite via a level crossing which was later removed meaning the option was to go up the incline from the lower yard to the station via a Girder bridge

Reading Depot Open Day 19.6.71

20 81D 19.6.71

http://m.ipernity.com/#/doc/305825/24647713

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 9

Found this amazing shot from Western Tower taken in 1966 overlooking the London end of Reading Station. This clearly shows the "Banana Building of the S&T works with Vastern Road Goods Yard behind and the incline over the Girder Bridge in front of it. To the right is the NCL Depot and far right is the closed Reading Southern Station  which was being used as a Garage. 

Reading Station

Edited by TRAILRAGE
Added link
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

This is a real gem and the only Photo I've ever seen of No 20 on the Mainline. There are Photos of it at Reading Depot open day in 1971 so have to assume it was driven to and from the Signal Works. Most likely using the Bridge Connection to the lines at the back of what was Platform 10. Although there was a connection between Vastern Road Yard and the NCL Depot opposite via a level crossing which was later removed meaning the option was to go up the incline from the lower yard to the station via a Girder bridge

Reading Depot Open Day 19.6.71

20 81D 19.6.71

http://m.ipernity.com/#/doc/305825/24647713

Cheers Trailrage

I understand it was painted blue for this event (or it was it just a happy coincidence?) Since there seem to be no photos of it during the 10 years leading up to this repaint are we sure it carried its as-delivered BR black livery all the way through to 1971, even without added wasp stripes? If anyone remembers seeing it during this long period I'd be interested to know. 

Also was its running number derived from any particular sequence, or was it as random as it appears?! (Although it was first to carry the number I'm still a little surprised it wasn't renumbered when Peak D20 arrived, especially when the latter lost its D prefix - not that it was ever likely to get confused with a tiny loco which went nowhere* and lived under a bridge!)

I'm sure saw it once, as I was at or passing through Reading station a lot in the early-mid 1970s, but can't recall when, where or how - possibly from a '3R 'Tadpole' unit......

Although Hornby's description mentions that it was renumbered 97020 in 1973 under TOPS, another source states that it didn't receive its new number until May 1980 - if so, since this was a whopping four and a half years after Peak 125 emerged from Derby Works as 45071 in December 1975 following serious collision damage repairs, it could claim the title of 'Last BR Loco to get a TOPS Number' - by some margin too! The same source says it was listed as withdrawn in April 1981 but actually continued working until May 1982, being cut up on site not long after.

*Except through Reading station to the depot for maintenance and refuelling, as per the rare photo in the link - since it didn't do a lot I wonder how often this happened, and whether it was usually under cover of darkness? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, equaliser said:

I picked up mine yesterday from Kernows and noted that nowhere in the instructions does it mention what sort of decoder is required! Because I wasn't sure how much space there'd be, I bought an Imperium 5 micro 6 pin one, which does the job nicely. Here's what it looks like with the body removed - the socket is on a flying lead and the blanking plate is encased in sticky tape (looks like Scotch Magic Tape):

20231203_154850.jpg.9924c9f753eec17692d68877957d88bb.jpg

I unwound the tape, slotted in the decoder and taped it up again and then it was mildly fiddly to get the decoder to sit on the motor whilst the body was re-fitted.

Here it is running in on my rolling road:

20231203_151336.jpg.25afc19271ef3cae906576d50e4bcdde.jpg

It is a lovely little thing and for my purposes will be drafted further west to shunt a small wagon works 🙂

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Sams Trains has a review of  it on Youtube

The decoder socket is on the of loose wiring atop the motor so a direct fit 6 pin ought to fit. Alternatively it looks like yet another Hornby model where a hard wired decoder could actually result in a far neater wiring ararngement.

A very generous rating for it and better than the Rapido 15xx, the guy's having a laugh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A very generous rating for it and better than the Rapido 15xx, the guy's having a laugh

Not a big fan of Sam, but his 15xx wasn't the best one I have seen. Quite some gluemarks and other Quality issues, so I follow his reasoning. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I understand it was painted blue for this event (or it was it just a happy coincidence?) Since there seem to be no photos of it during the 10 years leading up to this repaint are we sure it carried its as-delivered BR black livery all the way through to 1971, even without added wasp stripes? If anyone remembers seeing it during this long period I'd be interested to know. 

Also was its running number derived from any particular sequence, or was it as random as it appears?! (Although it was first to carry the number I'm still a little surprised it wasn't renumbered when Peak D20 arrived, especially when the latter lost its D prefix - not that it was ever likely to get confused with a tiny loco which went nowhere* and lived under a bridge!)

I'm sure saw it once, as I was at or passing through Reading station a lot in the early-mid 1970s, but can't recall when, where or how - possibly from a '3R 'Tadpole' unit......

Although Hornby's description mentions that it was renumbered 97020 in 1973 under TOPS, another source states that it didn't receive its new number until May 1980 - if so, since this was a whopping four and a half years after Peak 125 emerged from Derby Works as 45071 in December 1975 following serious collision damage repairs, it could claim the title of 'Last BR Loco to get a TOPS Number' - by some margin too! The same source says it was listed as withdrawn in April 1981 but actually continued working until May 1982, being cut up on site not long after.

*Except through Reading station to the depot for maintenance and refuelling, as per the rare photo in the link - since it didn't do a lot I wonder how often this happened, and whether it was usually under cover of darkness? 

Earliest Shot is the one on the First page which shows it in BR Black sat on a BR Grey Weltrol

Best I could find was these Photos 

Black and White Photo from 1957 which I assume would be original Black. 

WR Reading Signal Works Shunter, 20

Photo of Pre-Tops No20 from as late as 01/03/79!

20 Reading Signal works 1-3-1979 7

Earliest Phot I can find in Tops is 08/08/80

Even if your not on Facebook Its worth it alone for a group called No20 Reading Signal Works Loco as there are Photos on there most likely never published including a Colour Photo of it (unknown date) in Weathered Black, a B/W Shot of it in Black on the Bufferstops with the Level Crossing still intact, a great shot of it as 20 with a few wagons at the old Motorail Terminal situated behind the Buildings on Platform 9,  running light on the through Line between Platforms 4 & 5 and even a Photo of a page from a 1971 Railway Magazine which says Reading Shunter Repainted which states it was in BR Plain Green at the time it went to Blue. Although the General consensus is that it was in fact BR Black. Highly plausible when you consider that 01001/01002 were still in there original Br Black  (albeit with Wasp Stripes) when renumbered to Tops. Fascinating stuff

https://www.facebook.com/groups/373708101211611/?ref=share

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
Links added
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Highly plausible when you consider that 01001/01002 were still in there original Br Black  (albeit with Wasp Stripes) when renumbered to Tops.

Yes agreed, I was mindful of this pair when considering 20's achievement in reaching 1971 still in black. They did even better!

Many thanks for your post and info (and no, 'fraid I'm not on Facebook!)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Martin M1 said:

Does anyone do a Ruston Etched plate that sits on the bonnet? 

Try Judith Edge kits. They also do the RH plates for the cab. Theirs are nickel silver, which looks like the aluminium of the prototype, unlike the LRS ones, which are brass.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A very generous rating for it and better than the Rapido 15xx, the guy's having a laugh.

I don't know about him having a laugh but what's the point in such a rating and comparison anyway? It's like comparing apples with oranges. It doesn't matter how good or bad it is in comparison with a Rapido 15xx because a Rapido 15xx isn't a Ruston 88DS. If you want a Ruston 88DS, you want a Ruston 88DS.  You're not going to buy a Rapido 15xx instead simply because self-appointed expert says that it's a better model or gives better value for money.

I don't understand why so many people seem to be in the thrall of this guy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 minute ago, Ruston said:

I don't understand why so many people seem to be in the thrall of this guy.

Sadly, because he is representative of a large percentage of the current market.

They know little or nowt about railways, but prefer x to y because it's easier to get out of the box, and they bought a red loco last month - so a blue one is bound to be better!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The thread is about the Hornby model. Some like Sam's trains YT channel, others don't and either opinion is just personal preference and fine. Now back to this rather lovely little model.

• Agree 2