Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

10 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Anyone sound fitted the new power cars ?

Is there a 21pin sound decoder for Valenta engines

TTS decoders are only 8 pin so far but Hornby may announce something soon, HST ones are out of stock in most places but the are bargain Valenta ones to be had.

Most suppliers of full blown sound decoders e.g. ESU or Zimo  will be able to provide them with most interface types

1 hour ago, Bob83a said:

TTS decoders are only 8 pin so far but Hornby may announce something soon, HST ones are out of stock in most places but the are bargain Valenta ones to be had.

Most suppliers of full blown sound decoders e.g. ESU or Zimo  will be able to provide them with most interface types

I have purchased the 8 pin TTS set for thesewithout realising, apart from buying a 21 pin sound decoder the other option is to fit a 21 to 8pin adapter but there's not a lot of room above the socket.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, CazRail said:

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, my FGW mk3s seem to be rather noisy when they run. 

Is this a wheelset issue or something else? (like chassis being fairly hollow for example)

Check the wheel treads. I've come across some that aren't particularly smooth, so have a rough surface causing the noise.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Check the wheel treads. I've come across some that aren't particularly smooth, so have a rough surface causing the noise.

Thanks Mick!

I'll have a look tomorrow. I've thought about replacing them with suitable Bachmann ones. I found with my PAB wagons that Hornby wheels are very rough sounding especially on curves. Put Bachmann ones in and they run beautifully. 

Edited by CazRail
Spelling

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, CazRail said:

Thanks Mick!

I'll have a look tomorrow. I've thought about replacing them with suitable Bachmann ones. I found with my PAB wagons that Hornby wheels are very rough sounding especially on curves. Put Bachmann ones in and they run beautifully. 

And the flanges are a bit deep - they will find anything that shouldn't be there - e.g. a loose bit of ballast against the rail.

On 21/12/2022 at 11:05, DLIBOD17 said:

I messaged Hornby spares requesting a pair of their black plastic drawhooks at least & was told that those items weren’t part of the original moulding & therefore couldn’t be supplied as spares.

Good job I had some Accurascale screw links handy.

Luckily my models are for static display only.

6BD5C506-2A2D-4938-A3AB-EAB93121A5C9.jpeg

Got this response from Hornby

Thank you for your email , unfortunately the tooling of the Class 43  does not allow the nose cone removal and fitting of front couplings. 

Surely a brand new model should have taken it into account ?

Mark

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, mpb56125 said:

Thank you for your email , unfortunately the tooling of the Class 43  does not allow the nose cone removal and fitting of front couplings. 

Mark

This is Hornby we're talking about......

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, mpb56125 said:

Mark

They could have said…

As there is nothing accurate yet modelled for it to pull, you dont need couplings ?

😁

32 minutes ago, mpb56125 said:

Mark

what utter stupidity that they're expecting to sell £360 power cars that cant be ran prototypically to haul trains. Has none of their research and development staff seen images of those hauling trains or even being hauled in formations?

Is it about time they introduce a 'static models only' range that are unmotored with no electrics and about half the price?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GordonC said:

what utter stupidity that they're expecting to sell £360 power cars that cant be ran prototypically to haul trains. Has none of their research and development staff seen images of those hauling trains or even being hauled in formations?

Is it about time they introduce a 'static models only' range that are unmotored with no electrics and about half the price?

They do, indeed its £300 cheaper

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-class-43-dvt-era-8-r40162?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-LtmLiQ_AIVA9KyCh0shg1IEAAYASAAEgLdt_D_BwE

its not railroad either.

still trying to get my head around that.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

As there is nothing accurate yet modelled for it to pull, you dont need couplings ?

220928 43484 43465 6Z43 Kings Norton OTD - Worcester North Sdgs Stoke Pound 8590

These are/were available.

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

still trying to get my head around that

That's the thing I struggle with. I doubt the fact something is powered has a massive bearing on its actual cost. Especially when it's got quite a few parts that will need adding by hand (i.e. not just a moulding like Railroad). How much time and cost is powering the HST car? If they think the undriven one is only £80, then that makes the driven one about 3.5 times the price!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

220928 43484 43465 6Z43 Kings Norton OTD - Worcester North Sdgs Stoke Pound 8590

These are/were available.

ah yes you got me.

Looking at that image the horn grills are wrong on the model too.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

That's the thing I struggle with. I doubt the fact something is powered has a massive bearing on its actual cost. Especially when it's got quite a few parts that will need adding by hand (i.e. not just a moulding like Railroad). How much time and cost is powering the HST car? If they think the undriven one is only £80, then that makes the driven one about 3.5 times the price!

Especially as someone else told us the difference between a powered 25 and unpowered one was so small that it didnt affect the rrp… so Ethel unpowered is the same price as a powered one.

I buy motors from China for £10, drive shafts and gears for £5 via ali express! i could in theory bring this dummy to life for c£15.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, richard w said:

Friend of mine just visited his local shop.  Rather shocked/disappointed by the poor colour match between coaches and power cars.  The transfers are bad enough but the gold difference is very noticeable.

IMG-20221224-WA0002.jpg.7f7aa9720e8d056eaa8b2a822a91de0a.jpg

That’s poor. Not without precedent though, as did the same thing with the LNER 91 and the “matching” MkIV coaches - the red used was a different shade.

• Agree 2

On 23/12/2022 at 14:25, mpb56125 said:

Mark

I’ve just read this post again, and actually it reads to me like Hornby are confusing the as built, regular PCs with the modified ex DVT PCs in their answer - as the latter don’t have the relevant lower part of the nose cone as it was removed in the conversion to make way for the regular buffer beam.

The as built (unmodified) PCs have a panel in the lower part of the nose cone which slides to allow rescue by revealing a coupling to enable attachment to a loco, in a similar way to the 800s - Hornby have recreated this facility on their 800 models as the entire front section of the nose cone of the model can be removed. A similar situation does not exist in the HST PC tooling as the nose cone is a solid moulding - which is what Hornby seem to be saying.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, richard w said:

Friend of mine just visited his local shop.  Rather shocked/disappointed by the poor colour match between coaches and power cars.  The transfers are bad enough but the gold difference is very noticeable.

IMG-20221224-WA0002.jpg.7f7aa9720e8d056eaa8b2a822a91de0a.jpg

Not only does the gold look different but the green-white fade-out looks completely different on the two models. It’s less convincing on the Power cars. If they’d finished these correctly I’d have bought a full set but not looking like that .
As Vic Reeves used to say , “Very poor indeed”

Jon

• Agree 2

On 23/12/2022 at 19:09, adb968008 said:

They do, indeed its £300 cheaper

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-class-43-dvt-era-8-r40162?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-LtmLiQ_AIVA9KyCh0shg1IEAAYASAAEgLdt_D_BwE

its not railroad either.

still trying to get my head around that.

Different livery though and that one is still useable at the end of a train. The Rail Adventure power cars would only be able to be coupled together and not do anything else with them with no end couplings

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 43179 said:

Not only does the gold look different but the green-white fade-out looks completely different on the two models. It’s less convincing on the Power cars. If they’d finished these correctly I’d have bought a full set but not looking like that .
As Vic Reeves used to say , “Very poor indeed”

Jon

Is the gold on the power cars not more accurate than the yellow on the trailers? Agreed the fade out is better on the trailer though

• RMweb Gold
On 21/12/2022 at 11:05, DLIBOD17 said:

I messaged Hornby spares requesting a pair of their black plastic drawhooks at least & was told that those items weren’t part of the original moulding & therefore couldn’t be supplied as spares.

Good job I had some Accurascale screw links handy.

Luckily my models are for static display only.

6BD5C506-2A2D-4938-A3AB-EAB93121A5C9.jpeg

The wonky orange stripe above the windscreens is poor, I've seen similar on the IC DVT version as well. C'mon Hornby, get a grip!

• Agree 1

On 23/12/2022 at 20:36, jonnyuk said:

try finding those barrier wagons, like hens teeth, the HST's will be reduced in a few months

I had a pair a while back when Heljan first released them, they weren't that hard to find then but probably are now!

On 24/12/2022 at 00:17, LMSfan72 said:

Well, I decided I would go my own route with these.

Those are different wagons aren't they? Do the Railadventure cars pull them?

Edit, it's these isn't it?

43468 & 43465 (6Z53)

TBH I am surprised nobody has done the Motorail wagons, they go in test trains, lasted a fairly long time in Motorail format too so I expect there'd be a market.

Dafter stuff has been made.

Edited by TomScrut