Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

2 hours ago, WCML100 said:

The latest MK3 tooling is a full new re-tool as far as I am aware

Yes, that's correct, the coaches are new tool but the power cars are just modified tooling - a tweaked body and interior workings with the cam coupling mechanism and working roof fans being the most obvious visible modifications.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2023 at 17:56, Northmoor MPD said:

Hornby have what looks like production sample pictures of the East Midlands Trains & Rail Charter services power cars on the website. Looks like they’ve done a good job with the triple headlight arrangement.

9AE1895F-9956-4507-BBB9-49ADE7D13D83.jpeg

F02A2360-F080-4F96-ABDA-E840CB6832E3.jpeg

Indeed, though I am surprised it's taken them this long to produce a proper East Mids version. And will they re-do (correctly) MML Bambi with this tooling now? 

However... one somewhat annoying point still stands, after all these years they still haven't come up with a solution to the see through radiator on the Dummy Power Car. Come on Hornby, you sorted that with the 60 - It cant be that difficult surely!  

• Agree 1

I’ve seen Hattons are doing a sale on some of the HSTs and MK3s. I had initially decided to give these a wide birth, having seen the posts in this forum with the printing issues with the FGW Green/Gold livery, but am completely torn between attractive prices and potential issues. What’s the general consensus with these models, are they worth the risk?

Edited by enaytee

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, enaytee said:

I’ve seen Hattons are doing a sale on some of the HSTs and MK3s. I had initially decided to give these a wide birth, having seen the posts in this forum with the printing issues with the FGW Green/Gold livery, but am completely torn between attractive prices and potential issues. What’s the general consensus with these models, are they worth the risk?

The Fag Packet livery used waterslide transfers along the lower body and as such there were bubbles on some and others that were very misplaced along the length. Your decision whether to accept these issues at a lower price or not. 

7 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

The Fag Packet livery used waterslide transfers along the lower body and as such there were bubbles on some and others that were very misplaced along the length. Your decision whether to accept these issues at a lower price or not. 

Yeah I thought as much, even some of the website photos show some very wonky looking gold stripes. It’s a shame really!

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, enaytee said:

Yeah I thought as much, even some of the website photos show some very wonky looking gold stripes. It’s a shame really!

It’s definitely a shame since it was such a sought after livery, and even more so that they managed to tampo print it in the 2000’s when they last produced it. 

Thats the real rub when Hornby have done a livery brfore and exevuted it perfectly yet more recent releases have been completely messed up due to different processes......their Class 87 009 is a similar story.   87 010 was done spot on and 3 years later they mess up the red stripe!

• Agree 2

I was lucky and mine are all pretty good with the transfers but I have seen some really poor ones but I was able to check myself as bought them in local shop.  You could maybe ask if Hatton's could check them but not sure its something they do or if you can return them if not happy. 

East Midlands Power Cars have arrived from Rainbow Railways this afternoon. Not had chance to have a proper look over them yet, but the livery application is good - both power cars have slight oversprays around the blue section at the guards end, but it's minor enough that it will disappear under weathering;

PXL_20230523_1210361502.jpg.66f86a29eccbd7cd24cfecda5573d1d4.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 7

6 hours ago, 60800 said:

East Midlands Power Cars have arrived from Rainbow Railways this afternoon. Not had chance to have a proper look over them yet, but the livery application is good - both power cars have slight oversprays around the blue section at the guards end, but it's minor enough that it will disappear under weathering;

PXL_20230523_1210361502.jpg.66f86a29eccbd7cd24cfecda5573d1d4.jpg

Cheers,

I’m happy with mine too, I might end up replacing the EMT logos, I’ll see how much the wonkyness bugs me over time…

D4AF9FFD-708F-44CA-9530-0ADED1B94DBF.jpeg

74284F00-9753-48B8-92A0-D8882DD6DABF.jpeg

• Like 4

I can live with the logos - they don't bother me at all because I've expected them from day 1. 

The original release had stepped logos and the renders for the new release has always had the stepped logos too, yet there seems to be some suprise / vitriol on Facebook as if it's something new. 

I've always wondered what the basis for the stepped logos was as I'm yet to find a prototype photo to back it up.

Cheers,

22 hours ago, 60800 said:

The original release had stepped logos and the renders for the new release has always had the stepped logos too, yet there seems to be some suprise / vitriol on Facebook as if it's something new.

In all the years I have owned the original releases, I have never noticed that!! 🤣

• Funny 1

Hattons have the relatively newly tooled XC sliding door mk3s for as low as £16 a coach, which at less than half  price seems like a bargain until you realise there are no XC power cars available to run them.

My (bargain-bin) full rake has remained boxed up for nearly 2 years now, hoping Hornby announce some XC power cars.  I'm not sure if this is yet another example of Hornby incompetence, or a genius move as those who bought the bargain coaches are now desperately needing the matching powercars. Just need Hornby (or Accurascale!) to announce the matching XC 43s.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

Hattons have the relatively newly tooled XC sliding door mk3s for as low as £16 a coach, which at less than half  price seems like a bargain until you realise there are no XC power cars available to run them.

My (bargain-bin) full rake has remained boxed up for nearly 2 years now, hoping Hornby announce some XC power cars.  I'm not sure if this is yet another example of Hornby incompetence, or a genius move as those who bought the bargain coaches are now desperately needing the matching powercars. Just need Hornby (or Accurascale!) to announce the matching XC 43s.

No problem, just run them with GWR power cars.  Thats what I do to justify my short rake.

GWR XC.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Right, can anyone explain it but without being unnecessarily rude?

1 hour ago, Great Waterton said:

My interest is mainly sectorisation with a few exceptions so can someone please explain this "stepped logo" business on the EMT power cars? 😂

See the side on pic a few post back. Spot the step down of the LANDS after the EASTMID

(Hopefully the OP won't mind me screenshotting it)

image.png.5456eca7c4fb13ff87219f279fdf4cce.png

Compared to the real thing

image.png.70dd17f1fa77d25ec2d106d086739cd1.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh I see, so it's essentially been printed wrong on the model, on a bit of a slope by the looks of it.. I can't tell if LANDS is also in slightly bigger text that EASTMID.

A shame that these daft (and presumably avoidable) issues creep in so often.

My Dad has the original release of these from a few years back, when I'm next round there I'll be having a good look. 😂

Edited by Great Waterton

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Great Waterton said:

Oh I see, so it's essentially been printed wrong on the model, on a bit of a slope by the looks of it.. I can't tell if LANDS is also in slightly bigger text that EASTMID.

A shame that these daft (and presumably avoidable) issues creep in so often.

My Dad has the original release of these from a few years back, when I'm next round there I'll be having a good look. 😂

No it's not on a slope - that's the angle of the photo.

The bottom level of EASTMID is different to the bottom of LANDS

Found a better screenshot

image.png.7eb12b961e1961f7315d01961b88dc3c.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Never going to be able to unsee that ;-;

Aside from that i think the only issue I've got right now, having 1 full midland pullman rake and 1 full east mids rake, is that the power cars don't seem to come with the magnetic buckeyes while the coaches do. So I can get all my coaches coupled magnetically but can't then connect them to the power cars.

I'm assuming it will be to make you but the separate pack R7398, if only those were in stock anywhere......