Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

i think someone asked a few pages ago if the fag packet powers cars are vinyl or tampo, i can't remember the guys name but he talked like a  designer, he said they are tampo, i asked about the mk3 coaches and he said they had  no choice due to the length of the coach and wavy lines, i did not really understand it but he said they tried tampo printing but they could not get it right, so vinyl was the lesser of two evils.

Edited by jonnyuk

6 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

But again it keeps coming back to the fact that they used to be able to get it right. 

They used to be able to do a lot of things right... ....Now it's if they think that it's good enough and will do. 

They couldn't get it right now because either they are using a different factory (cheaper less skilled?)  or due to the complexity of the livery - time required and possibly higher rejection numbers not prepared to pay to get it right.  However you look at it, it's costs more to do things like this right/correctly! 

One of the white lines on the DRS Mk2's was incorrect, but at least they were printed! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

They used to be able to do a lot of things right... ....Now it's if they think that it's good enough and will do. 

They couldn't get it right now because either they are using a different factory (cheaper less skilled?)  or due to the complexity of the livery - time required and possibly higher rejection numbers not prepared to pay to get it right.  However you look at it, it's costs more to do things like this right/correctly! 

One of the white lines on the DRS Mk2's was incorrect, but at least they were printed! 

And yet Hornby are no way at the lower end of the price categories.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

And yet Hornby are no way at the lower end of the price categories.

I must admit I'm generally surprised where plain liveries on models dont cost any less than complex e.g. plain BR blue with yellow ends compared to the likes of NSE or these more recent privatisation era liveries

• Like 3

On 29/10/2022 at 22:30, jonnyuk said:

i think someone asked a few pages ago if the fag packet powers cars are vinyl or tampo, i can't remember the guys name but he talked like a  designer, he said they are tampo, i asked about the mk3 coaches and he said they had  no choice due to the length of the coach and wavy lines, i did not really understand it but he said they tried tampo printing but they could not get it right, so vinyl was the lesser of two evils.

Let's hope they come out better looking than the Mk3s then, as so far I'm rather disappointed with them. 

However, Hornby and errors seem to continue to go hand in hand. While the pre production samples shown at the weekend show a more promise than the MK3s, I found myself taking more interest in 43136 than I should have to - being rather puzzled as to what the name plate it seems to be carrying is (136 was un-named). Unfortunately, Hornby seem to be fans of the "Railway Heritage Trust" that they've decided 136 should also carry 189s nameplate. I hope that's removed before production! 

• Agree 1

Anybody actually managed to get a full set of Fag Packet MkIIIs that are acceptable, or fault free.

I think mine are all going back.

I think my best hope is the colours of the Hornby power cars match the original Lima coaches.

Edited by martin_l_jones

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Anybody actually managed to get a full set of Fag Packet MkIIIs that are acceptable, or fault free.

I think mine are all going back.

I think my best hope is the colours of the Hornby power cars match the original Lima coaches.

Nearly! I’ve managed 5 rakes of coaches that are straight, but that was after the exchange from Hornby, but despite having the straight lines there’s still the bubble issue over the doors of each which will take a bit of rectification!

Given it’s a train that’ll whizz by at a scale 125mph on my layout at about 3ft-4ft+ from the public viewing then I’m inclined to think that it’s as good as it’s going to be, but it’s nowhere near what you’d expect from rivals like Accurascale or Bachmann, but hey ho, we have waited over 20 years for the livery to materialise on a complete rake since the Lima days.

I’m just hoping the power cars match the coaches now - the preview pics of the power cars at the recent Hornby event show the gold stripe to look metallic, whereas Hornby’s coaches definitely do not have metallic gold! We will wait and see..!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JGPhoto said:

The ex-Greater Anglia / Locomotive Services MK3s have started arriving.

They are HST coaches, not MK3s. No buffers.

To be honest it doesn't come as a surprise to me. Hornby make HST Mk3 stock, never have done loco hauled variations... (in a tooling sense at least) - they should have released these under their Oxford brand using their MK3a tooling - would have made much more sense but it is the usual Hornby obnoxious approach which I feel lets them down all to often...

Edited by WCML100
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

To be honest it doesn't come as a surprise to me. Hornby make HST Mk3 stock, never have done loco hauled variations... (in a tooling sense at least) - they should have released these under their Oxford brand using their MK3a tooling - would have made much more sense but it is the usual Hornby obnoxious approach which I feel lets them down all to often...

Yet they included a pack of separate buffers with the HST coaches to fit into holes in the buffer beam.

And the ex-Lima TGS has moulded buffers....

🤔 The phrase including the words "ar$£ from elbow" springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Yet they included a pack of separate buffers with the HST coaches to fit into holes in the buffer beam.

And the ex-Lima TGS has moulded buffers....

🤔 The phrase including the words "ar$£ from elbow" springs to mind.

I know I know - just corner cutting really. Hornby are frustrating like this... so much potential but then seem so negligent in the application and decision making on the final steps (livery choice, livery application, etc etc) - Let Oxford stick to the Loco hauled MK3's, and Hornby with their lovely new tooling be put to good use on actual MK3 HST stock! 

9 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Mind you, at least this way they are at least to scale and don't have weird things going on with their underframe... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Shipping next week or so.

Confirmed its a modified tooling, not a new tooling.

Modified cam couplings, magnetic couplings. New grills on the roof, realigned side door. Obviously for this one they've added the roof headlight.

Nice to see the blue band across the cab side window replicated, as well as the louvre guards door.

Three Midland Pullman power cars on display 43046,43049, 43055 one is named “Geoff Drury 1930-1999” (First image)

C5970A70-7A4F-4B01-AA7D-B757F5515A2F.jpeg.ab118e25e51b2942248a2afd772f68f0.jpeg

A83E92C6-FC4E-410D-9732-BC514948C238.jpeg

2DB5E92D-AA6F-4949-9B17-048591ACCBE9.jpeg

3C97FF5D-3CF1-4330-A48F-A4D321D3EF67.jpeg

595147CE-9592-4BD5-B483-746B0A5DBE78.jpeg

93137870-B321-4789-AC28-0422BCE69923.jpeg

EBAA3FD4-CFD9-448D-8324-131385321F18.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I really do like that Hornby have continued to use their ex Lima Class 43 HST Power Cars toolings, for the RailRoad range( the BR INTERCITY swallow power cars look very nice). For people on a lesser budget, new to the hobby, younger people, less detail etc.

I am just surpised that one of their older tollings for the BR MK3 carriages hasn't been reintroduced separately and made it into the RailRoad range separate alongside in the same appropriate livery as the power cars train packs. standard open, first, buffet,  and TGS other than the standard open MK3 coach which is included in the R1230M HST Train set . Has this been mentioned before? 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

I am just surpised that one of their older tollings for the BR MK3 carriages hasn't been reintroduced separately and made it into the RailRoad range separate alongside in the same appropriate livery as the power cars train packs. standard open, first, buffet,  and TGS other than the standard open MK3 coach which is included in the R1230M HST Train set . Has this been mentioned before? 

I'd suspect that the new HST MK3s wouldn't use up much more of a production "slot" than these older toolings (they used to be main range after all and are a bit more complicated that the former Lima MK3s were...), so why waste those slots on  when you have the new production?  Give it a year or two, and we might see Railroad-ised versions of the new tooling.  Omit the close coupling mechanism, pop in the last NEM version of the BT10 bogies, omit any additional cables and pipes and simplify the paint scheme.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, frobisher said:

I'd suspect that the new HST MK3s wouldn't use up much more of a production "slot" than these older toolings (they used to be main range after all and are a bit more complicated that the former Lima MK3s were...), so why waste those slots on  when you have the new production?  Give it a year or two, and we might see Railroad-ised versions of the new tooling.  Omit the close coupling mechanism, pop in the last NEM version of the BT10 bogies, omit any additional cables and pipes and simplify the paint scheme.

The new coaches are cheap enough so why bother with railroad versions?

• RMweb Premium

I see the East Midlands Mk3s are starting to be advertised for sale.

Has anyone got one yet?

Are they properly printed sides or decals?

edit: belay that question - my LMS has just informed me that he will have them in the next hour or so - I shall visit him during my lunchbreak

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I see the East Midlands Mk3s are starting to be advertised for sale.

Has anyone got one yet?

Are they properly printed sides or decals?

edit: belay that question - my LMS has just informed me that he will have them in the next hour or so - I shall visit him during my lunchbreak

I was just wondering the same thing before I click “Buy” on my £340 shopping basket…

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

I was just wondering the same thing before I click “Buy” on my £340 shopping basket…

First impression is that they look good.

It's certainly not a decal.

But:

There is a bit of fuzziness on the curved ends of the blue on a couple of coaches and one of the TFs looks like the blue mask wasn't down fully across the top of a couple of spaces between windows. (Other fuzziness is my dodgy phonecam)

EMT3.jpg.5ae475df3d302f5913cbeecd270cb3cf.jpg

EMT1.jpg.37d15550a71f288097747085b7b729c3.jpg

Both of these will be subject to a short visit to the paintshop soon.

The fixed "cosmetic" buckeye and magnetic buckeye are quite welcome.

EMt2.jpg.275e222d1a0c52d7d466ce8de572ba75.jpg

Certainly more acceptable that the decals.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1