Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

12 minutes ago, newbryford said:

First impression is that they look good.

It's certainly not a decal.

But:

There is a bit of fuzziness on the curved ends of the blue on a couple of coaches and one of the TFs looks like the blue mask wasn't down fully across the top of a couple of spaces between windows. (Other fuzziness is my dodgy phonecam)

EMT3.jpg.5ae475df3d302f5913cbeecd270cb3cf.jpg

EMT1.jpg.37d15550a71f288097747085b7b729c3.jpg

Both of these will be subject to a short visit to the paintshop soon.

The fixed "cosmetic" buckeye and magnetic buckeye are quite welcome.

EMt2.jpg.275e222d1a0c52d7d466ce8de572ba75.jpg

Certainly more acceptable that the decals.

Thanks for the images, I’m impressed.

Definitely an upgrade on the old coaches.

• Agree 1

Yes, on the whole these look very good - and certainly better than the FGW fag packet ones.

The inclusion of magnetic couplings is good too. Were they included in the FGW coaches, I thought they only came with the fixed bar?

Definitely tempted by a rake of these.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2022 at 14:16, newbryford said:

The fixed "cosmetic" buckeye and magnetic buckeye are quite welcome.

EMt2.jpg.275e222d1a0c52d7d466ce8de572ba75.jpg

The mag couplers ran extremely well in push mode for two days on Deadmans Lane this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

The mag couplers ran extremely well in push mode for two days on Deadmans Lane this weekend.

Hang on….

There was a comedy moment I saw on sunday when 30 something pairs of eyes were watching that EMT HST rattle through only for the power car to detach just before exiting…. Leading to a synchronous groan from the crowd who were silently fixated by its passing a few seconds earlier !

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Hang on….

There was a comedy moment I saw on sunday when 30 something pairs of eyes were watching that EMT HST rattle through only for the power car to detach just before exiting…. Leading to a synchronous groan from the crowd who were silently fixated by its passing a few seconds earlier !

Keep up at the back.......

That was last week at the NEC using Hunt couplings on the old mk3s.  This weekend were the Hornby couplings in the new mk3s.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Keep up at the back.......

That was last week at the NEC using Hunt couplings on the old mk3s.  This weekend were the Hornby couplings in the new mk3s.

Fair enough…

Though that moment at the NEC was worth documenting… it was funny because how silent concentration everyone was, until that happened !

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hang on….

I run HSTs in push mode with mag couplings as I did it with them with TLs to close up the gaps.  If an emergency stop (Or a short causing a stop) occurs with a mag, there is a possibility that the momentum of the coaches will  sometimes detach them from the PC.  That is what you saw. 

35 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Does anybody know whether Hornby are doing the magnetic couplers as a separate product code so they’re available to buy for previous MK3’s (sliding door XC & GWR)

No sign of them at the moment, but I certainly hope they will, especially given they do these lovely looking things (though out of stock)

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/set-4-working-scharfenberg-coupling-hc8040

• Like 1

I was able to examine and test some of the revised tooling GWR Castle set power cars in our local shop yesterday.

Both the power and dummy cars come with working motorised fans, which operated on DC, cab doors no longer open, 21Pin DCC sockets and the roof fans are a DCC function, explained in the new style colour instructions. 
Temped, but there were a couple of quality issues on the dummy power car, the fan appeared to be slightly off centre and clicking as if catching on something, might be easily resolvable with the body off, and two minor paint imperfections.

Etched nameplates are provided for both power cars, but no etched silver GWR plates, which I think were present on earlier versions. 

No sign of the matching sliding door MK3s yet though….

33 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Has anybody got their hands on a pair of these yet and found if they have couplers (or provision for) on the front?

Now that’s a good question! Mine delivered today but I’m away on business until next week so can’t check. I was planning to run them with my custom made UBVs

(when I finish them) and hadn’t considered the front coupling until you raised it - https://www.instagram.com/p/CgB45dNI4Fq/

Might be some more customising to happen yet!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Has anybody got their hands on a pair of these yet and found if they have couplers (or provision for) on the front?

Hattons have just uploaded photos of all the HSTs currently available, it appears the rail adventure ones don’t have a cab end coupling from the photos…

D21CAA65-C01A-406E-A32D-612B030CE6E4.jpeg

D0255F85-E45A-4701-867A-C573492E384D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, AshleyH said:

Etched nameplates are provided for both power cars, but no etched silver GWR plates, which I think were present on earlier versions. 

Only the first 4 (from memory) power cars to go green had the cast logos, the rest just have stickers. Not sure what numbers Hornby have done but odds are the real thing doesn't have cast logos.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

Hattons have just uploaded photos of all the HSTs currently available, it appears the rail adventure ones don’t have a cab end coupling from the photos…

It's whether there's something in the detailing pack. I never thought there would be something on there as it came out of the box.

It will be a bit of a screw up from them IMO if they don't. These locos are/will only be used back to back pulling trains from one end as far as I am aware.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

D21CAA65-C01A-406E-A32D-612B030CE6E4.jpeg

D0255F85-E45A-4701-867A-C573492E384D.jpeg

It's only a diesel and no-one cares.

facepalm.jpg.42524eff3072f7e2f6d696ba70f28cf2.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It's whether there's something in the detailing pack. I never thought there would be something on there as it came out of the box.

It will be a bit of a screw up from them IMO if they don't. These locos are/will only be used back to back pulling trains from one end as far as I am aware.

Its not as if no one pointed it out.

it was mentioned several times on here on the day of release.

There is not really any excuse, the pictures show the power cars post 10th September 2022…. Hanson+Hall logos are not present… the livery was updated… so these models were made very recently.

maybe there is a coupling in the box ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Only the first 4 (from memory) power cars to go green had the cast logos, the rest just have stickers. Not sure what numbers Hornby have done but odds are the real thing doesn't have cast logos.

Jo

Yes, I think I read somewhere that only 43187/43188 and 43005/43041 were out shopped with cast logos and numbers on the former guards compartment door, then all subsequent ones had stickers and the numbers cab side like the previous dynamic lines livery. So the models of 43004/43155 in the new Hornby Castle pack are correct without cast logos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just picked up the railroad intercity executive power and dummy car pack as with retailer discount it was a pocket friendly (by 2022 standards) £123. The power car white lights work but obviously not the  dummy car red.  Strangely though the power car white lights still illuminate in reverse direction! Is this a design fault or just my set? 

I just run the detailed buffered DVT at the rear so this isn’t an issue to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Just picked up the railroad intercity executive power and dummy car pack as with retailer discount it was a pocket friendly (by 2022 standards) £123. The power car white lights work but obviously not the  dummy car red.  Strangely though the power car white lights still illuminate in reverse direction! Is this a design fault or just my set? 

As I recall the original release of these toolings R2707 43100/43101 in VT had the headlights illuminating regardless of direction of travel, so I guess this has not been changed in any of the subsequent releases (original blue/grey InterCity 125, GWR green in a train set, and now these IC Swallow PCs).

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

I still baulk at the idea of paying £360 for a diesel loco and a coach (effectively), I think the premium set is a lovely model but just not worth the cost over the Railroad set which I have, it works it just lacks finesse.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My FGW powercars have arrived this morning. Couple of printing sloppiness with some numbers not being 100% straight, but overall very happy. No decoders yet to run them, so they'll have to wait. 

A little confused as to why they havent supplied magnetic couplers mind, but no biggie as I have plenty of Hunt couplers in stock.

• Like 1