The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Much Point to PayPal anymore?

Sir TophamHatt

Now eBay have severed their ties with PayPal for getting paid and paying sellers, I am starting to see less and less use for PayPal.

I bought a questionable item (for £40) before Christmas but decided as it wasn't really compatible with my phone, I would send it back.

Bought through PayPal so thought it would be fairly easy to get my money back.

Seller requested for me to send it back (to India!).  £15.75 in return postage, £15 of which I can claim back from PayPal (who actually outsource this to another company!).  75p loss there.

This is a tactic from sellers.  They get dispatched from a UK address but ask for it to go half way round the world, I guess hoping buyers won't want to bother.

While posting it back, I used the original envelope, which still had the original customs label on it.  It declared the value of the goods to be much cheaper than I paid, so (and perhaps pettiness?), I valued the goods as what I paid for them.

Went through and uploaded tracking.

The parcel spent about a week at customs and now has been rejected by the seller.

Apparently it's on it's way back to the UK but there's no return address so not sure where it will end up or what will happen, or whether I can claim it and if I'd have to pay.

But now PayPal are dragging their heels with it all.

They've asked for a photo of the package label (well, the wording says "could be a photo...), so I've sent them a photo of the receipts showing the address details and noted the seller has refused the parcel.  I hope this will be enough for them to decide in my favour.

But I keep thinking that if I'd paid by credit card or debit card, it's likely I could have instigated a chargeback.

Even worse is that as I used funds in my PayPal account, I am completely in their hands for a refund.  If it had to take money from my bank, the chargeback could be possible.

The reason I used to use PayPal is that it meant the retailer didn't then have my bank details but with banks being cautious these days, I am starting to think there is little point to PayPal and what value it really brings to anything anymore.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I won't use Paypal for an overseas purchase. Credit card only. I'm protected against loss or non-delivery with fast refunds. I did have to use that feature once earlier this year and my entire purchase with shipping was refunded for over $700.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I still prefer to use PayPal for eBay (for example, IIRC you can only use eBay vouchers bought with Nectar points if you use PayPal to pay the remainder) and for most online purchases below the £100 limit which gives you section 75 protection on credit card purchases.  I'd actually prefer it if Amazon would take PayPal: Amazon's customer service is pretty good, even for market place purchases, but it would be useful to have PayPal's buyer protection to fall back on if Amazon does sometimes drop the ball.

• Like 1

I prefer PayPal simply to not have to create an account with every website I buy from.

I've never had a problem claiming refunds when the seller hasn't bothered responding to messages although I haven't had to do so for a few years.

Edit:

No sooner do I say I haven't needed to do a chargeback than http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/ vanishes without sending my order or replying to emails....

Edited by 30801

• RMweb Gold

Yes, rarely use eBay due to past issues but find PP much easier for internet buys than (a) digging out my payment card and typing strings of numbers and (b) the need to open accounts in newly visited sites.

• RMweb Gold

There was a time when PayPal was a mandatory option for ebay.co.uk sellers, maybe still is. Not so in France or particularly Germany, where bank transfers are often required, and PayPal is not always offered. Leaves me uneasy. 

• Informative/Useful 3

20 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Now eBay have severed their ties with PayPal for getting paid and paying sellers, I am starting to see less and less use for PayPal.

I bought a questionable item (for £40) before Christmas but decided as it wasn't really compatible with my phone, I would send it back.

Bought through PayPal so thought it would be fairly easy to get my money back.

Seller requested for me to send it back (to India!).  £15.75 in return postage, £15 of which I can claim back from PayPal (who actually outsource this to another company!).  75p loss there.

This is a tactic from sellers.  They get dispatched from a UK address but ask for it to go half way round the world, I guess hoping buyers won't want to bother.

While posting it back, I used the original envelope, which still had the original customs label on it.  It declared the value of the goods to be much cheaper than I paid, so (and perhaps pettiness?), I valued the goods as what I paid for them.

Went through and uploaded tracking.

The parcel spent about a week at customs and now has been rejected by the seller.

Apparently it's on it's way back to the UK but there's no return address so not sure where it will end up or what will happen, or whether I can claim it and if I'd have to pay.

But now PayPal are dragging their heels with it all.

They've asked for a photo of the package label (well, the wording says "could be a photo...), so I've sent them a photo of the receipts showing the address details and noted the seller has refused the parcel.  I hope this will be enough for them to decide in my favour.

But I keep thinking that if I'd paid by credit card or debit card, it's likely I could have instigated a chargeback.

Even worse is that as I used funds in my PayPal account, I am completely in their hands for a refund.  If it had to take money from my bank, the chargeback could be possible.

The reason I used to use PayPal is that it meant the retailer didn't then have my bank details but with banks being cautious these days, I am starting to think there is little point to PayPal and what value it really brings to anything anymore.

I recently had a small issue with something I bought, all sorted out very quickly with the seller and a partial refund was accepted

The seller sent the refund immediately on the 18th, Paypal then put a pending mark on the funds, then had several emails with them

Paypal agreed I was covered by their guarantee, so I would not loose out if the seller reengaged (which they did not) Paypal took till the 30th to credit my account

They are happy to hold my money interest free, but seen exceptionally petty especially when I have a guarantee of payment from them

I understand eBay are introducing their own payment system, if so nothing like a bit of competition to get things better for the consumer  

• Like 2

The more options on how to pay the better IMO. It's when you are forced to only use one way of paying which irks me. 

Had too many problems with PayPal and they are totally useless trying to talk to a real person. I won't bore you with the details. But if I'm wasting hours of my time to get through to somebody then they obviously don't want my money.

I might start using eBay again if you can buy stuff without going through PayPal*. I stopped using both when PayPal was telling me that my bank account and telephone number was fraudulent. It wasn't, it was because it's a landline and their computer system didn't recognise it and put a block on my account!

But they still send me emails telling me to use it for some strange reason...

*Even if you wanted to pay by credit card it had to go through PayPal's system.

Jason

Although interesting that only a day later, PayPal have informed me they're refunding me!

Still a bit on the fence but since I use LastPass to save my card details, it's just as easy to enter the saved card rather than log in to PayPal.

Wonder what will happen to the package when it gets back to the UK though...

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Although interesting that only a day later, PayPal have informed me they're refunding me!

Still a bit on the fence but since I use LastPass to save my card details, it's just as easy to enter the saved card rather than log in to PayPal.

Wonder what will happen to the package when it gets back to the UK though...

The parcel if no return address will be likely to end in Belfast - at secure PO facility for all returns - currently around 0.5 million items.   Facility is arranged to allow safe opening and any paperwork inside is used to attempt delivery - I guess the job lot auctions must be fun...      

I'm finding issues with PayPal on eBay,  nowhere else,  just eBay. The site wants to verify that it really is me who is spending my money and goes through a long drawn out process that eventually times out. I got fed up and put the bill on the debit card. 

I think that if I came across a site that exclusively used PayPal then I will find another supplier. 

• RMweb Premium

For Ebay I will only do PayPal, I really do not want to faff about with other payment systems which means yet more login usernames and passwords etc etc ad nauseum.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm finding issues with PayPal on eBay,  nowhere else,  just eBay. The site wants to verify that it really is me who is spending my money and goes through a long drawn out process that eventually times out. I got fed up and put the bill on the debit card. 

I think that if I came across a site that exclusively used PayPal then I will find another supplier. 

I have had a couple of transactions over the past few months when PP asked me to verify it was me by sending a code to my mobile phone to enter the code on the site, only took 10-20 seconds or so and was slick, I am happy they are upping the security a bit really.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I have had a couple of transactions over the past few months when PP asked me to verify it was me by sending a code to my mobile phone to enter the code on the site, only took 10-20 seconds or so and was slick, I am happy they are upping the security a bit really.

As are the standard banks.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, john new said:

As are the standard banks.

Are they?  I hardly ever use my cards online any more.....but have noticed very occasionally our ASDA order asks for verification using a phone code.

• RMweb Premium

I have noticed that the one touch payment system on PayPal has now gone, you have to click a fair few times to make a payment now plus the random send a text message verification thing which comes up which is an absolute pain in the neck.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Are they?  I hardly ever use my cards online any more.....but have noticed very occasionally our ASDA order asks for verification using a phone code.

From memory I think it was on my HSBC account recently that I was ordering something on line it generated a text code that had to be entered. (I use HSBC, Halifax and P Pal*) I have also noticed recently some instances where touch at a shop doesn't work and the pin entry is required, I have always assumed that this is a validation check that the card hasn't been nicked rather than a random fault on the reader or with the card.

* Possibly it was a PP triggered action before it got to my actual bank.

Edited by john new
Added the footnote
  • Agree 1