Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now, at last, back to minding our - or rather Accurascale's - Manors.  Or so I hoped  😇

2074461719_78081963.jpg.c2f77a3a92210e6d1779e5845930b295.jpg

1269999964_7808HY.jpg.ed5f9ff9ca292fa157ab49c7f60ba660.jpg

7816.jpg.c718c915485ba5c8700dfa71963e4dff.jpg

What's up with the headboard in the first photo? Looks to be very off centre or stuck out miles from the smokebox door

On the subject of headboards, what will be the status in which the etched headboard will be supplied? Will each model have both a Cambrian and Pembroke Coast Express supplied regardless of allocations and period or will it be a bit more selective than that? e.g. no point supplying 7800 "Torquay Manor" with a PCE headboard when she was never allocated anywhere near South Wales

Another thought. What was the case with the "ornate" headboard i.e. cream one with the crest and the "plain" version? Are they period specific/one used upto a certain date or was the available headboard at the shed, ornate or plain, just put on the front of a loco?

All questions asked to steer the topic back towards Manors

Edited by SteamingWales
More headboard questions
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now, at last, back to minding our - or rather Accurascale's - Manors.  Or so I hoped  😇

7816.jpg.c718c915485ba5c8700dfa71963e4dff.jpg

What's 7816 up to? (apart from a BR plate & GWR on the tender)

Is it shunting, with red & white lamps?

7 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Another thought. What was the case with the "ornate" headboard i.e. cream one with the crest and the "plain" version? Are they period specific/one used upto a certain date or was the available headboard at the shed, ornate or plain, just put on the front of a loco?

Good question, from the photos I've found the two versions of CCE headboard appear to be in use in the same timeframe and on all 3 'portions' of the journey (London-Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury-Aber and Mach-Pwlllheli). The crest on the ornate one is of course the Cambrian Railways Company Crest resurrected. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

What's 7816 up to? (apart from a BR plate & GWR on the tender)

Is it shunting, with red & white lamps?

It was the Reading Up Pilot that day - so it does indeed have pilot lamps although both lamp cases were actually white - one being very dirty.    The tender is a story in itself - presumably it had been gradually patch cleaned to work through to the GWR lettering, maybe even with a little 'chemical encouragement' to remove some paint  as well although Swindon paint didn't last all that well in later days.  Anyway the tender was originally with one of Reading's 43XX but when it was called to Swindon, and unlikely to ever return, the tender was swapped with one from another 43XX to make sure that it didn't leave Reading.  I don't know how many swaps took place but it was probably only a couple and judging by . fairly well known published photo of 7816 at Swodon it definitely got as far as Swndon shed with the 'Manot' but whether that was for a works visit or on a train I don't know.

As a model 7816 would be quite a good choice for a very grubby well weathered example with the tender in that condition to nicely round it off.   7808 was also a Reading engine at around that time hence its appearance on an ECS train at Henley in the middle photo - taken not long after after steam working on anything other than freight had officially ended on the branch.  That particular ECS train managed to be worked by a 'Hall' then a 'Grange' then a 'Manor' over three successive weekends.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It was the Reading Up Pilot that day - so it does indeed have pilot lamps although both lamp cases were actually white - one being very dirty.    The tender is a story in itself - presumably it had been gradually patch cleaned to work through to the GWR lettering, maybe even with a little 'chemical encouragement' to remove some paint  as well although Swindon paint didn't last all that well in later days.  Anyway the tender was originally with one of Reading's 43XX but when it was called to Swindon, and unlikely to ever return, the tender was swapped with one from another 43XX to make sure that it didn't leave Reading.  I don't know how many swaps took place but it was probably only a couple and judging by . fairly well known published photo of 7816 at Swodon it definitely got as far as Swndon shed with the 'Manot' but whether that was for a works visit or on a train I don't know.

As a model 7816 would be quite a good choice for a very grubby well weathered example with the tender in that condition to nicely round it off.   7808 was also a Reading engine at around that time hence its appearance on an ECS train at Henley in the middle photo - taken not long after after steam working on anything other than freight had officially ended on the branch.  That particular ECS train managed to be worked by a 'Hall' then a 'Grange' then a 'Manor' over three successive weekends.

Reading Manor Pilot being purloined to take over a down Express that is then diverted trough Yeovil to Exeter Central, is how I am excusing myself for having one!

Thanks Mike. 

P

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I must admit I'm rather looking forward to receiving Erlestoke Manor.

Hopefully, another Steam Locomotive is in the pipeline and will be announced soon.

oh yes. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, McC said:

oh yes. 

As the reply is on the GWR Manor thread….. do we presume it’s a Great Western announcement? 😎

22 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Next weekend ?

Not long to wait then….. Oh hang on, we are also now in Q4…. Maybe we will also see a photo of the Manors being loaded onto a ship for the UK… 😎😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Manors will be at the end of the quarter, but we should have more info on all things manor related in about 2-3 weeks time. Once we have it we will let you all know on here and the usual channels.

Cheers!

Fran 

End of Q4 equals December?

Will they be shipped by the usual method from China or have the team managed to organise a special delivery from a man in a red suit with a sleight🎅???

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

End of Q4 equals December?

Will they be shipped by the usual method from China or have the team managed to organise a special delivery from a man in a red suit with a sleight🎅???

I am more than content to wait patiently for what I expect  to be 2 high quality models . Furthermore it gives me a bit more time to save more pennies from a diminishing pension . Is the shipment routed through Felixstowe with the risk of delays ? If so, I’ll continue to be patient.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks great, what an amazing back head. Different that the brake valve is in mid application from the position of the handle, but lets face it most would never ever notice. Amazing to watch how you have pushed the boundaries of what is possible. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

If I remember my GW brakes correcty, surely the brake handle is in ‘running position’? 

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong however I think you will find the standard GWR brake valves on the larger locos were two position with a separate control for the ejector. 

You may be thinking of the three position valve fitted to the smaller locos that had the ejector built in. On those vertical is the running position.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Agree 1