Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

12 hours ago, McC said:

We’re online in real time every working day. The website is pretty automated now and we always welcome constructive criticism.

In the line of constructive criticism, perhaps you might spend some of that time online informing your direct customers where exactly the delayed Manors are, replying to concerned emails with something more than go away you'll receive them sometime we're too busy, check with our website it explains everything  .... oh wait. 

8 minutes ago, Forester said:

In the line of constructive criticism, perhaps you might spend some of that time online informing your direct customers where exactly the delayed Manors are, replying to concerned emails with something more than go away you'll receive them sometime we're too busy, check with our website it explains everything  .... oh wait. 

I’m trying to be patient, but I kind of got the impression they were all coming at once.  Seeing all the photos and thinking they’d get to no.19 soon.  Then they stopped.  Maybe I was confusing batch and run.  I really hope it comes within the next couple of weeks as I have a photo shoot planned.  I know it’s just a model, but it feels a bit like the end of term when everyone else got to play with their toys but I had to finish my work.  I’m expecting to be very happy when it comes, just didn’t expect to be waiting still, and no Hinton when we might expect it.  

I’ll behave again now.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

What are owners' thoughts on everyone's favourite YT contributor's comments and criticisms wrt the 2 Manors available?

As an independent observer - I own neither - I actually found it very informative.

Comments on the motor were interesting as well.

Al. 

Well i knew he wouldnt be happy with a 3 pole motor. But i agree with his comments about very slow running, Even on DCC i couldnt get a decent slow start. I also agree with hos comments about getting the tender body off - i said earlier in the thread it was a faff. 

Interesting he didnt mention the handrails not reaching the cab roof as it looks like the ones on his didnt

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, McC said:

we always welcome constructive criticism

And to be clear, both of the following points are intended in that vein.

First, a web site defect. If you search accurascale.com for "qwerty" (without the quotes) you get one hit on an article about Onllwyn Colliery, written by your good self. However, nowhere in that article is the word "qwerty".

Second, can you apply a spell checker to your product documentation, please?

Spelling.png.88a5e77729eb1e2ffcd04b867399309a.png

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

What are owners' thoughts on everyone's favourite YT contributor's comments and criticisms wrt the 2 Manors available?

As an independent observer - I own neither - I actually found it very informative.

Comments on the motor were interesting as well.

Al. 

Don't care. Not going to look.

57 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

But i agree with his comments about very slow running, Even on DCC i couldnt get a decent slow start.

That's not my experience. For me, it's a superb slow runner with very gentle starts on DCC.

57 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

I also agree with hos comments about getting the tender body off - i said earlier in the thread it was a faff. 

I don't think it's really much different to a Hornby GWR tender, to be honest. The plug and socket is little more difficult to get at but easily unpluggable once you've worked out how. The tender hand rails (does he mention them?) are fixed similarly to Hornby tenders - you have to break the glue bond at the bottom before you separate the two halves.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

38 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Why would you even be doing that though?

It's called "testing". You give software unexpected inputs and see what happens. Took me about two minutes to find that last night. I didn't mention it at the time as it didn't seem that important. However, based on

15 hours ago, McC said:

we always welcome constructive criticism

I thought you'd be grateful about knowing about a problem with your web site, and I was happy to give some of my time with the aim of helping you improve your products. What you may not appreciate is that what was reported to you is an example of the problem. Maybe the search is broken more severely than just that one word being processed incorrectly.

However, it turns out that rather than doing what I would have thought is the obvious thing and at the very least thanking someone for pointing out issues with both your web site (which may be an isolated edge case or may be symptomatic of a broader problem) and documentation (which proof reading really should have picked up), the response is instead to make out it's me who's doing something wrong.

The official Accurascale attitude has been duly noted!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

It's called "testing". You give software unexpected inputs and see what happens.

From experience here I get to see some of the rubbish and misspellings people search for on here; all the software is trying to do is find something that relates to the rubbish/miskeyed terms.

It doesn't really need anything further doing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bomp said:

I know it’s just a model, but it feels a bit like the end of term when everyone else got to play with their toys but I had to finish my work.

For crying out loud!

There are more important things going on in the world - or hadn't you noticed?

Anyway, you'll be back at school soon, so no time to play with your toys!

CJI.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Forester said:

Constructive - really?

CJI.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

It's called "testing". You give software unexpected inputs and see what happens. Took me about two minutes to find that last night. I didn't mention it at the time as it didn't seem that important. However, based on

I thought you'd be grateful about knowing about a problem with your web site, and I was happy to give some of my time with the aim of helping you improve your products. What you may not appreciate is that what was reported to you is an example of the problem. Maybe the search is broken more severely than just that one word being processed incorrectly.

However, it turns out that rather than doing what I would have thought is the obvious thing and at the very least thanking someone for pointing out issues with both your web site (which may be an isolated edge case or may be symptomatic of a broader problem) and documentation (which proof reading really should have picked up), the response is instead to make out it's me who's doing something wrong.

The official Accurascale attitude has been duly noted!

What is actually wrong with you?  Did mummy burn your toast this morning?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bomp said:

I’m trying to be patient, but I kind of got the impression they were all coming at once.  Seeing all the photos and thinking they’d get to no.19 soon.  Then they stopped.  Maybe I was confusing batch and run.  I really hope it comes within the next couple of weeks as I have a photo shoot planned.  I know it’s just a model, but it feels a bit like the end of term when everyone else got to play with their toys but I had to finish my work.  I’m expecting to be very happy when it comes, just didn’t expect to be waiting still, and no Hinton when we might expect it.  

I’ll behave again now.  

Looking on the bright side, if these were being produced by Hornby, we'd be waiting until years three or four for them to get round to producing this number of identities.... 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Forester said:

perhaps you might spend some of that time online informing your direct customers where exactly the delayed Manors are,

You are now moaning daily. I do hope a day gets added on to your delivery date each time.

They wouldn't of course; but I would give in to temptation.

• Funny 14

26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

From experience here I get to see some of the rubbish and misspellings people search for on here; all the software is trying to do is find something that relates to the rubbish/miskeyed terms.

Yes, it may be searching on meta data; it may be broken. It's not a huge issue, but while I was highlighting the spelling thing, thought I'd mention it. As above, just trying to be helpful. With my professional head on, if that was happening on one of our web sites, we'd want to know about it.

Likewise with the docs - we'd want to know about that so it could be corrected. It's easy to go "snowblind" if you spend days looking at a document like that and it's an odd thing about how the brain works, but after a while, you end up seeing what you think is there, rather than what actually is there. Spellcheckers are big help (and would have caught this particular typo), but proof-reading is still necessary, as with the classic

"Eye sea watt yew mien"

18 minutes ago, NBL said:

Did mummy burn your toast this morning?

No, I had cereal, as it happens. Prepared it myself, too. I had toast for lunch though. "Cooked" that myself too. Can you cook toast, or do you cook bread and end up with toast? One of life's great mysteries...

Anyway, not quite sure what your point is. I was just trying to be helpful, although it backfired a bit, as it turned out. I think you were just being abusive.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I was just trying to be helpful,

I've tried saying that to my wife several times; she usually replies "No, you're just being a d*ck".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Yes, it may be searching on meta data; it may be broken. It's not a huge issue, but while I was highlighting the spelling thing, thought I'd mention it. As above, just trying to be helpful. With my professional head on, if that was happening on one of our web sites, we'd want to know about it.

Likewise with the docs - we'd want to know about that so it could be corrected. It's easy to go "snowblind" if you spend days looking at a document like that and it's an odd thing about how the brain works, but after a while, you end up seeing what you think is there, rather than what actually is there. Spellcheckers are big help (and would have caught this particular typo), but proof-reading is still necessary, as with the classic

"Eye sea watt yew mien"

No, I had cereal, as it happens. Prepared it myself, too. I had toast for lunch though. "Cooked" that myself too. Can you cook toast, or do you cook bread and end up with toast? One of life's great mysteries...

Anyway, not quite sure what your point is. I was just trying to be helpful, although it backfired a bit, as it turned out. I think you were just being abusive.

Not being abusive, merely pointing out that you appear to be trying to get one up on AS, which in turn could be considered as unjustified criticism.

Nobody in their right mind is going to search qwerty in any website dedicated to model trains, why would they?  They will be searching for model information.   There is testing, and there is pedantry.

As for the spelling error, these days there are more documents out there that have spelling errors than don't, and judging by the questions asked on RMWeb, nobody RTFM anyway.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Picking up on sams video, I was very disappointed on the running quality, returned two locomotives to my retailer now and have decided not to try another, non working stay alives, noisy and also struggling through r2 and double slips etc.

A very nice looking model it is, but if it does not run reliably what’s the point.

not for the first time, it looks like members on here will not have a word said against AS and lash out when something is said, people are entitled to their opinion as long as it’s polite etc.

now its maybe because it’s a forum and we are all “mates” and written words can be taken out of context but I do find AS comments sometimes flippant, whether it’s meant that way I don’t know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Picking up on sams video, I was very disappointed on the running quality, returned two locomotives to my retailer now and have decided not to try another, non working stay alives, noisy and also struggling through r2 and double slips etc.

A very nice looking model it is, but if it does not run reliably what’s the point.

not for the first time, it looks like members on here will not have a word said against AS and lash out when something is said, people are entitled to their opinion as long as it’s polite etc.

now its maybe because it’s a forum and we are all “mates” and written words can be taken out of context but I do find AS comments sometimes flippant, whether it’s meant that way I don’t know.

It least AS do comment. And they take on-board feedback given on RMWeb threads, albeit some are valid comments and some are not.

As far as a spell checker is concerned, that does not always work if the wrong spelling is also a valid word!

For example, either a pair of speakers or fighting speakers:

image.png.c26de8e399dcb8bdff6c9ce06f56a3f7.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2023 at 19:23, McC said:

The Manor is 420g including tender .......

I do wonder if weight does make much difference, out of curiosity I decided to see what loads some of loco’s would do. Round my 3.5 radius and 4.5 radius whist awaiting Torquay Manor.

I started off with 17 coaches as with all my rakes coupled together as follows - 5 Bchmn (2x BR Mk2 3 Hby Mk1), 5 Hby 59ft Bullied, 4 Hby Maunsell, 3 Bchn Mk1, all starting from rest on flat track

All loco only weights.

2017 Hby King 320g 11cars slipping from start and struggled on straight max 6 OK 

2 Hby Spamcans 300g 15 cars

2020 Bchmn 94XX 252g 17 cars no issues

10+ years Bchmn N class 250g 15 cars some slipping to start

Surprise 10+ years Bchmann 8750 class pannier 180g 17 no issues

All went round without slowing apart from King on bends DC only GM 100M controller.  The most I run in rakes is 5 anyway so long as a loco can do this weyheh.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

Is that on DCC?

• Agree 1