The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

R.I.P Christopher Plummer

peanuts

Whenever  "The Battle of Britain" is mentioned I am reminded not only of Christopher Plummer,

but Susanna York......................................

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

He starred in the only film i ever wanted the Germans to win The sound of music

Never watched it, but seems to be the biggest pile of historical nonsense ever committed to film. Even he hated it calling it The Sound Of Mucus.

I once read the true story of the Von Trapp's, it's far more interesting. They never "escaped from the Nazis" for a start. They came and went quite freely and even played in Salzburg in 1939.

It was apparently due to the father refusing to accept a commission for the navy. But he would have been too old anyway as he was about 60. He had also married Maria in 1927. Over ten years before the film is set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_von_Trapp

He was good in other things though. Mostly the proper war movies, but also as General Chang in Star Trek.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

46F41759-47A7-4177-AF23-BBAED364EF4E.jpeg.34deec5df5131e5890b53ddd83d18e90.jpeg

He wasn’t in Jaws.  The guy in the white polo neck was though.

Cheers

Darius

Yeah, that's what I thought "He wasn't in Jaws".

(The guy in the white polo neck in that photo was Robert Shaw).

Apparently Plummer did not like The Sound of Music because he felt it was too mushy, although he did enjoy working with Julie Andrews (can't blame him for that) & acknowledged it was a well made film & was proud to be associated with it.

To be, or not to be - You have not really heard Shakespeare until you have heard it in the original Klingon!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Robert Shaw was in Jaws and The Battle of Britain, but I don't remember him in The Sound of Music...

RIP Christopher.

The reason he called it The Sound of Mucus was that, with several children in it, there was always at least one of them that had a cold.

I was going to say seven children, but Charmian Carr who played the oldest "child" was 23 at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

He was good in other things though. Mostly the proper war movies, but also as General Chang in Star Trek.

And voiced the villain in Pixar's "Up". He had a very prolific career and continued to work on very recent projects.

• AY Mod changed the title to R.I.P Christopher Plummer
On 05/02/2021 at 21:38, brianusa said:

Whenever  "The Battle of Britain" is mentioned I am reminded not only of Christopher Plummer,

but Susanna York......................................

Brian.

Oh, yes! Just couldn't remember whether it was her or Susan George.