Railex 2011

David Bigcheeseplant

Apex 1st class single to and from Plymouth to Padd £31 each way is cheaper than the car

and from what have heard of the traffic situation a lot quicker, less strain on Davids parking. ......

I completely agree with you, 8 of us went to Chelsea Flower show in the week from Penzance, 1st Class returns, Senior Railcards, £56 return each to Putney Bridge (via Padd.,) - Premier Inn, 2 nights, Eight Bells on 2 evenings.

Well when I say 8, 8 on the train, 7 to the flower show and I did my old 60's haunts around the Tottenham Crt Rd., area cool.gif

I shall have to look at the feasibility of doing Railex as a visitor, but I'm sure it involves at least one overnight stay (Saturday?) in the Aylesbury area (or is that Alesbury ?).

Train Fares 'Standard' could be £50 return from PZ to AYL, < £100 First Class return, 8 hour journeys, arrive/depart AYL at around 2pm........... Martyr springs to mind!!

Anyway I get in free next year - exhibitor laugh.gif

Spent a jaw dropping amount of time trying to work out how much the combined total of locos on 82G would cost. Eeek.

I counted 41 (I think) locos on shed at one time, and that appeared to be far from their full compliment.

All the best

Keith

I should mention that Portchullin won the best layout in show as voted by the other layouts.

The footbridge on Whitchurch Road was voted best model by our judges Gordon and Maggie Gravett, although they did say it was very hard to choose a winner as there were so many good models on show.

David

Hello

I have uploaded some pics of the presentations of the Awards and the winners on the Club website

http://www.rdmrc.nildram.co.uk/Awards2011.html

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

• RMweb Gold

A huge thankyou to Mr Cheeseplant for an extremely enjoyable weekend. Many thanks David for looking after us so well. It's always a joy to come. 'Engine Wood' worked very well except for 'human errors' by us lesser minions, soon spotted by the 'Reichs Marshall'...o yes, nothing passes his beady eye!:huh: dry.gif

• RMweb Premium

What a fantastic show. As said many times before (and rightly so), every layout there was top quality. A couple of times I tried to leave (I'd told the girlfriend I wouldn't be long) but I'd think to myself that I just must see xxxxx layout one more time and then end up walking round them all again.

I spent far too much money. I talked myself into buying a Judith Edge kit (never having kit built a loco before) and then a Hold & Fold tool, etc.

I talked myself into buying a Judith Edge kit (never having kit built a loco before) and then a Hold & Fold tool, etc.

Which one?

(and you are going to put up some build progress photos on a topic round here, aren't you?)

• RMweb Gold

Although I tried to post some comments at lunchtime, the Nanny I.T. system at work threw a wobbly and erased everything that I had written!...

Anyway, I've only really just surfaced after Railex, hugely enjoyable, but extremely tiring! Despite David & co kindly letting the four of us stay on for the Sunday night in the show accommodation, I still went to work half-asleep this morning! Anyway, many thanks to David, Ant and everyone else on the organising side for their hospitality and patience with us. Equally big thanks to my operating team, especially for putting up (and ignoring! ;) :laugh: ) with the Captain's rantings and decrees!

Here we are set up and ready to start the show:

post-57-0-94484900-1306870704_thumb.jpg

Pete Harvey was helping Chris N on Saturday, and we posed his well-crafted electrication vehicle on the layout:

post-57-0-91736000-1306870770_thumb.jpg

I was most impressed with the Dapol/Rail Magazine Sentinel, and Chris Nevard was kind enough to let us borrow it for a trip working or two on 'Engine Wood':

post-57-0-19546500-1306870676_thumb.jpg

In return, we loaned 'Buntie' to do a spot of shunting on Combwich:

post-57-0-06902100-1306870804_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Which one?

(and you are going to put up some build progress photos on a topic round here, aren't you?)

I bought the Thomas Hill / RFC Vanguard 0-4-0 shunter, mainly because it can use a Black Beetle rather than me having to build the chassis, etc. I have built many plastic kits in my time (Parkside, etc); this is a leap of faith. Maybe I should start a blog / thread with progress, that way I can ask for help and advice when I invariably come unstuck.

With the dust settling on yet another excellent weekend I thought it was about time that I added a few piccies of the Saturdat night carnage, or wreckage (as Chris F put it) due to the clash of dates with young Craig Welsh's birthday! :D

So first for the birthday cake, I believe we may have got the letters slightly mixed up.

post-1606-0-09258500-1306893742_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-76158000-1306893789_thumb.jpg

The following images may contain scenes of innapropriate behavior, those of a nervous disposition (or a fond spot for Thomas!) should look away now. :lol:

post-1606-0-19649300-1306893835_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-31095900-1306893883_thumb.jpg

Craig's special birthday drink, generously sponsored by Mike G together with various donations on the night!

post-1606-0-21094700-1306893927_thumb.jpg

The barmaid's expression says it all!

post-1606-0-86783500-1306893966_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-51194600-1306894007_thumb.jpg

Craig decided that he ought to let Bryn finish off the drink of which he duly obliged!

post-1606-0-63609600-1306894060_thumb.jpg

and a big thumbs up from Pix!

post-1606-0-95485900-1306894101_thumb.jpg

Not entirely sure what Uncle Bryn was doing here! :unsure:

post-1606-0-24295700-1306894205_thumb.jpg

Looks like Craig decided it was a good idea to use Bryn to keep himself upright for the late night viewing of the Monaco F1 qualifying.

post-1606-0-38903400-1306894290_thumb.jpg

Whereas Mark decided Q3 of quali was far too much for him! If only i'd recorded the accompanying sound track! :P

post-1606-0-42917700-1306894243_thumb.jpg

Finally a bit of diesel invasion of Whitney Euston on the Sunday!

post-1606-0-51108500-1306894340_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-64744100-1306894385_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-93311800-1306894423_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-93813400-1306894471_thumb.jpg

Thankyou to everybody for an excellent show, particularly to David L who for someone who was lacking enthusiasm earlier in the year pulled out a real corker!

Hopefully we didn't bring the hobby to too much disrepute on the Sat night! :angel:

Look forward to seeing you all again next RailEx!

Cheers for now!

Paul

With the dust settling on yet another excellent weekend I thought it was about time that I added a few piccies of the Saturdat night carnage, or wreckage (as Chris F put it) due to the clash of dates with young Craig Welsh's birthday! :D

Thankyou to everybody for an excellent show, particularly to David L who for someone who was lacking enthusiasm earlier in the year pulled out a real corker!

Hopefully we didn't bring the hobby to too much disrepute on the Sat night! :angel:

Look forward to seeing you all again next RailEx!

Cheers for now!

Paul

I thought Craig coped well bearing in mind the large curry he consumed beforehand - and the Kingfisher :drinks:

I won't mention about you though Paul :bad:

Thanks to all who helped with Sheep Pasture over the weekend - in particular Paul [Kempenfelt], Morgan [mlgilbert30] and John [Killybegs].:thankyou:

Cheers,

Robin

Erm, I thought those were getting posted in the private thread.. I'll get hate mail now for killing Thomas :(.

Its Bryn's birdy hat at DEMU... :D

and yes Paul did a spot of urban decorating :bad: . Joanne was rather less impressed by that than my drink :P

I did comment to David that I thought the layout selection was even better than last year though I couldn't remember what was there then!

I only spent £4.65 all weekend which is amazing and probably something to do with ending up operating other layouts in my time off the main one!

I bought the Thomas Hill / RFC Vanguard 0-4-0 shunter, mainly because it can use a Black Beetle rather than me having to build the chassis, etc. I have built many plastic kits in my time (Parkside, etc); this is a leap of faith. Maybe I should start a blog / thread with progress, that way I can ask for help and advice when I invariably come unstuck.

The same kit is OKWB at this very moment. :D (it is a slow job amoung other more urgent work)

I'm afraid current experience with it would mean I would not recommend it as a starter - but like all of the JE range they do what they say on the box.

I have a personal dislike of the BB so have to develop some alternative solution. Good luck with it, if you do start a thread I might be able to answer questions - assuming I have progressed that far.

Robin, I think it was probably the curry that saved Craig! :lol:

...................and yes thankyou for not mentioning me, likewise to you Craig! I alway's wondered wondered what the point of having a green smiley was! :P

A big thankyou for the offer to assist you with Sheep Pasture though, a privilage as always and in excellent company too! Pleased to see you discovered what Zontar is Morgan, that saves a bit of explaining! :D

Craig, my appologies about putting you in the public domain, I thought that's why you kept bugging me about posting the piccies! I left the more incrimenating piccies for the private thread anyway! Aah well, i'm sure more people should get a chuckle out of us this way, although it seems to be increasly more at my expense! Thank god for Uncle Bryn to take the emphasis off me! :P BTW I'm very impressed you remembered the barmaid's name Craig!

A couple more piccies from an operators point of view! We (primarily Morgan :P ) were doing our best to stitch up our counterpart operating crew at the time, the top of Sheep Pasture incline isn't usually this busy!

post-1606-0-00464400-1306969724_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-57878000-1306969790_thumb.jpg

post-1606-0-79436700-1306969856_thumb.jpg

Best Wishes

Paul

Borchester Market

I wondered when it would be specifically mentioned.

Although earlier in this topic jamieb managed to miss it and blandford1969 said

'....... to see Borchester Market took me back to being a child and seeing it on the TV for the first time'.

There have been many articles and pictures over the years.

Google 'Borchester Market' in the images setting, there will be a few there for you to see and some pointers to mags etc.,

Edit - redkiterail beat me to it, I was checking my sources

- it was redkiterail's photo's of Nettlebridge Valley Railway that I appreciated, my modelling period.

There was a series of (5 or 6?) articles written by Frank Dyer which focused around the operation of Borchester Market in MRJ. Somewhere around the MRJ 50's IIRC, however i'm sure someone on here will be able to be more accurate! B) Well worth a read if you're interested in the layout.

Cheers

Paul

Archived