Railex 2011

David Bigcheeseplant

I had a thoroughly enjoyable day at Railex yesterday, David and team must be congratulated on putting on yet another fantastic show, which was well worth the 06:30 start from Taunton! Spent many hours wandering round, chatting to many people, getting roped into operating Engine Wood for a little while and eventually picking up some scenic bits before leaving around 16:00.

Roll on next years show! :drinks:

An excellent show which formed the basis of an ace weekend - thanks to all concerned! Special thanks to David for sorting our accomodation for the night too.

Now for some peace and quiet with lots of tea and playing with some new toys....

Pix

Hi

Got back not long ago and had a good time. My favourite was East Dean (long run, fairly simple design but done well), but plenty of others appealed greatly. Having seen Ashburton in a magazine recently I was surprised how compact it was in real life.

And I am one of those who has ordered a Grassmaster.

All the best

Keith

A great day.

I met Jamie B, fellow Cambrian modeller of this parish, for the first time and spent a sizeable chunk of the day with him. The two of us also - inevitably - spent a quite a while on the Dragon Models stand. Between us we bought all his remaining stock of his new Cambrian timber wagon kits and I've challenged Jamie to a race to build the first. Even though all I've done so far is open the packet and extract the contents I must be in the lead as Jamie is still on the M40, on his way home.

Well I'm home now and yes it was a great show as usual,somehow managed to miss Borchester,too busy watching Mr Nevards sentinel.Maybe because it was opposite Stainmore Summit which I didn't pay too much attention too as I spent ages watching it at Worcester.Ah well, next time.Good mix of layouts, loved the video camera coach on Whitney Euston, will we see the results on here,good mix of traders,High Level Chris as helpful as usual,he and Dragon Models got the bulk of my expenditure.A year to save up for Railex 2012 now.I might have the timber wagon built by then,Mike!

Jamie

An excellent show which formed the basis of an ace weekend

Indeed I'll second that well done to David and the team for a cracking show. Nice to meet you Pix, and Bryn too, on Saturday night. Your attempts to get Craig to honk up :bad: had to be seen to be believed. I also now know who Zontar is....:D

Toodlepip....Morgan

• RMweb Premium

Stainmore Summit was brilliant in its simplicity, nothing too complicated trackwise, but it captured the essence of a bleak moor (1370ft above sea level?). Watching the trains both double headers and banked freight looked the part.

I dont usually pay a great deal of attention to O but could not help but be impressed by the sounds coming from Apethorn, very busy layout that protrays a lot of diesel workings.

Being of Cornish persuasion it was interesting to see two Cornish Clay layouts, Seeing Wheal Elizabeth in the flesh for the firat time was good Andrews layout was the inspiration for my own Nangullow China clay layout. i loved Trerice which prtrayed a more run down Dry than Wheal Elizabeth and was more loco specific, both were superb in their own right..

Some lovely photos/videos chaps.

I left at 7:30 after taking the layout down, great fun operating Nettlebridge and the exchange sidings were really interesting to play with (unless someone gives you a load of pitprops and gunpowder too).

Thanks for the chaps for trying to get me into A+E on Saturday night, failed though :P.

Got back just before 10 to watch the F1 on iplayer :)

At least there haven't been any public pictures of the carnage yet..

Got back a couple of hours ago - great show, bonhomie and entertainment - all to the highest level. The trainset all worked properly today, the 'fix' to the loop point motor performed by Pete Harvey holding out all today. I kind local to me gent has kindly offered to totally rewire Combwich before it's next outing, so gone will be 30 year old connections etc.

As usual, as an exhibitor I didn't get to see any layout properly for more than a minute or 2. I'd really like to have a longer look at Nettlebridge given the opportunity - it's huge, but not lacking in quality!

Had an excellent day - many thanks to David and everyone behind the organisation of Railex. One of the best shows I've seen, with so many good layouts and traders,

Highlights for me were:

Combwich and Engine Wood (Just looked right....very good to meet several RMWeb members there at lunchtime as well - Chris N, Tim, Chris F, Brian, Mike....apologies if I have missed anyone)

Portchullin (thought I'd seen enough BR Blue diesel at Bracknell to last me a while, but this was great)

Stainmore Summit

82G (so much to learn for the main section of my own layout even in a different scale)

East Dean

Picked up a BR1J tender from Chris at Golden Arrow for the Duke, and a correct part welded Stanier tender for my Caprotti Black 5 from Geoff at Comet.

And I took the plunge with some C&L rail and chairs.........every layout has "proper" looking track even if it is OO....... the 2011 challenge may be a test bed to work out whether I go the whole hog and rebuild everything I've done so far

Iain

Back after an easy 3 and half hour drive home, New Hey now has been put to bed in the garage, My thanks to David and his team for an absolute brilliant weekend one of the most friendly and welcoming shows you can attend as an exhibitor. We have been well looked after and to a man have had an enjoyable time, including a memorable evening in the Hop Pole.

Its been a very successful show for us, no faults apart from the occaisonal dirty wheels etc etc and a chance to chat with a lot of like minded people. This is a show with no filler, just absolute quality finescale layouts. Good to meet quite a few fellow RM webbers as well.

• RMweb Premium

Great show! Just remembered all the things I was going to go back and have a look at. The 'sketched' backscene for the Edware Road layout was just incredible. Spent a jaw dropping amount of time trying to work out how much the combined total of locos on 82G would cost. Eeek.

I think we should have had a china clay corner somewhere. I was eyeing up the possibility of a Tiger hopper working through to Trerice...

Thanks to David and the team for organising a very good show. The Hop Pole even had Thatchers!

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Having returned from an epic trek from Plymouth to the show last evening and finding the gremlins have attacked my computer whilst I was away, I am now back on line and am able to say what an excellent show. Well worth the 2 nights spent in London and the quality testing of a large number of pubs and ales that goes with such an excursion,:drinks: not to mention a couple in Aylesbury, Saturday afternoon having visited the show. :drinks:.

If I can get the weekend off again next year I shall endeavour to repeat the exercise again.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you David, but thanks again for the drawings.:thankyou:

Cheers

SS

• RMweb Premium

That has to be one of the best I've been to in a long time.

Full marks to David and team for putting on such an excellent show, at times I just didn't know which layout to watch next! Personal highlights have to be East Dean and the S&DJR "corner". Nice to meet up with so many RMWebbers too, and a big thank you to the Hornby Mag chap who provided me with spare parts for my Stove R.

Spent a fair bit at the Replica stand, the EMU fleet is now set to increase somewhat!

All in all a grand day out!

Well it’s all over for another year and thank you for all the comments. Our visitor numbers were a faction lower than last years record attendance, but still up there in the higher end of what we have had in the previous few years.

Anyone who came first thing on Saturday it was quite packed and we still had queues to get in and round the outside of the building three quarters of an hour after we opened! We had three tills open and they did their best to cope and get people in.

Could I suggest in future and to avoid the crush and queues that you concider Sunday when things are much more relaxed and there tends to be only a shot queue on opening, also if you do come Saturday come early, (as tills were open at 8am buy a breakfast or bring you own) and sit on the balcony until the show opens.

We apologise for the lack of seating in the café this year, the stadium assured us they had enough tables and chairs, we hired in an 105 tables for the show but no chairs as the stadium provided us with 120 which is what we asked for, but some of these came from the café, which caused the shortage, anyway next year we will hire in more tables and chairs and make things more nicer for every one.

Anyway a big thank you to everyone who made Railex happen from the layouts, traders, demos, visitors, all members of the R&DMRC, Wycombe club and others who made it all work over the weekend.

I felt knackered yesterday my feet felt like they were melting by the end of it all and expect others felt the same.

I must admit I didn’t have the enthusiasm on the run up to Railex this year possibly due to a new job, and MRJ editorship work, but on the weekend it looked good and came together well and a spark returned, only another year to the next one!

David

• RMweb Premium

What were you doing in London? Did you take a wrong turn or something? :huh:

Apex 1st class single to and from Plymouth to Padd £31 each way is cheaper than the car and from what have heard of the traffic situation a lot quicker, less strain on Davids parking. It could possibly have been done in one day but it only needs something to go wrong and I end up stuck in London anyway,:( so make a weekend of it and have a few sherberts along the way :yes:.

SS

What were you doing in London? Did you take a wrong turn or something? :huh:

S. S. and I travelled to the capital on Friday (£22.10 each way first class on F G W if you book three months in advance and hold a Senior Railcard!).Taking advantage of a Southern offer of two for one tickets we had Friday tea in the Evening Star in Brighton and supper in the John Harvey, the brewery tap, at Lewes before returning to the digs via a few London boozers.

An early start on Saturday got us to Aylesbury before lunch just in time to miss the bus and a short walk to the show.

This was a very good experience with not a bad layout in sight and some enticing traders, just a pity Ambis said that Hobby Holidays had his stock of 7mm corrugated, but, when a purchase was proposed H H stated that the stock had not yet been passed over!

Viewing Whitney Euston was like walking down the freezer aisle in a super market; wonderful effect, superbly done. the 2mm layouts reinforced my views of trains in the landscape as the ultimate way to present a "Model Railway"

Just one suggestion on layout improvents, every time the fiddle yard on this layout was operated the car vibrated in such a manner that perhaps it should be more discretely parked off a side tuning.

post-5286-0-99677000-1306749911_thumb.jpg

In my opinion it was the best quality show I have been to this year todate! York was of course larger but I had seen lots of their layouts before, at Aylesbury (RISEX) I had not! So for sheer 'newness' of the layouts for me it brilliant. The lads here are always jolly & helpfully, good vibes all round, most enjoyable.

Well done to what now is 'The best show in a London area' If only Ali Pali could be this good! Charlie

Just one suggestion on layout improvents, every time the fiddle yard on this layout was operated the car vibrated in such a manner that perhaps it should be more discretely parked off a side tuning.

That was intentional, the amorous young couple in the car had been waiting at that crossing for at least 2 hours and were so bored that they decided to entertain themselves :rolleyes:

Archived