Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

Mine arrived Wednesday,as I was going to Quainton thought I would take them to meet their relative,Lovely little models,just waiting for the last one now.

Alan

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=131218

Alan, OT, but that first picture reminds me of a Cuneo painting - find the mouse!

• RMweb Premium

I Hope i get my one as i have not heard anything about my order since i placed it in 2009 :O

Darren

I have never known Kernow to be anything other than fair and honest in their dealings nor to overlook or otherwise stuff up with pre-orders. Which loco(s) have you ordered? Have you gone into your order status on the Kernow site and checked the latest?

Kernow advised on Saturday via their newsletter that all orders placed before October 2010 for 30586 have been processed (not necessarily mailed out - read on) and also all placed before August 2009 for 30585.

If your order falls within those categories check to see if the status has updated from "Active" to "Picked for despatch" or "Despatched". If your order is not fully covered by those already processed then they will be waiting for the main batch of 30585 and all of 30587 to arrive, due within the next 4-6 weeks, before sending them out together.

If that doesn't resolve your query and you are still concerned then you might want to drop them an email but remember they prefer to pack than to reply and all is almost certainly well.

Just how many of each have been made? I thought originally it was 750, yet they state there are still 868 of 30585 orders awaiting processing. Looking at their website, there is nothing about the size of the batches. Any info (I don't want to disturb KMRC's work by phoning them!)?

30585 ordered in July 2009. Still marked up as active. No money taken.

Coming soon or not?

Just like waiting for Christmas presents.

Bernard

Me too Bernard, ordered 17th Aug 09 still marked active, I guess we just have to wait.

• RMweb Premium

Coming soon I am sure. But only the first few of 30585 have arrived and it is therefore possible that your two orders were just outside the timeframe that batch has covered. The rest are due within a month.

Hi SRman,

I have 30585 on order but no email or cc charge yet. So will wait patiently, I think I am in batch due in a few weeks time. I have 4 other locos and the Gresley suburbans on order, all due before Christmas possibly.

Thanks for saturday too, it was good to catch up with BRMA members. I did forget to ask you about the possibility of fitting an extra speaker in the A4 loco body. What should I use, size, etc? I will check it out further.

regards

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Just how many of each have been made? I thought originally it was 750, yet they state there are still 868 of 30585 orders awaiting processing. Looking at their website, there is nothing about the size of the batches. Any info (I don't want to disturb KMRC's work by phoning them!)?

As far as I am aware Kernow ordered 1000 of each of the three BR varients initially.

30585 ordered in July 2009. Still marked up as active. No money taken.

Coming soon or not?

Just like waiting for Christmas presents.

Bernard

Me too Bernard, ordered 17th Aug 09 still marked active, I guess we just have to wait.

Coming soon I am sure. But only the first few of 30585 have arrived and it is therefore possible that your two orders were just outside the timeframe that batch has covered. The rest are due within a month.

Kernow are currently aiming to to process approximately 100 locomotives each day, (as I advised above they have nearly 3000 to process) please remember that they only have quite a small team.

Most of 30585, all of 30586 have arrived in the Uk and the whole batch of 30587 is awaited.

As they have advised via their newsletter etc they are trying to despatch all order in strict order relating to the time customers originally ordered. However if there was a payment problem with an order then that order would be set to one side and their staff would move straight onto the next. Many of these payment issues tend to be down to expired credit cards.

Kernow will start making contact with these customers once the initial rush had died down.

I hope this helps to clarify the situtaion and the message is to be patient.

• RMweb Premium

I also understand Kernow has secured the assistance of a couple of additional and temporary team members to help get these locos out as fast as possible. It's a big task on top of their normal workload given that they are much more the typical model shop than Hattons and don't have anything larger than a big desk or two as a packing area. Everyone is helping out and probably burning some late night oil as well.

My first two are now officially on the way with '87 to follow when available. The yard has been cleaned up and awaits.

Hi SRman,

I have 30585 on order but no email or cc charge yet. So will wait patiently, I think I am in batch due in a few weeks time. I have 4 other locos and the Gresley suburbans on order, all due before Christmas possibly.

Thanks for saturday too, it was good to catch up with BRMA members. I did forget to ask you about the possibility of fitting an extra speaker in the A4 loco body. What should I use, size, etc? I will check it out further.

regards

Mark

Hi Mark. It was a pleasure, although I would have liked a little more time to sit and chat with you. As for speakers in the A4, I'm not sure but I would guess a standard 23mm round speaker might fit in the smokebox area, otherwise a 20mm one. You would need to run two wires from the pcb or the otehr speaker which is, I think, in the tender. Next time you are over, we'll have a closer look at the A4, or DougN may be able to enlighten us anyway as he also has an A4 or two.

Back to the Beattie Well Tanks: I am so tempted to order 30586 in addition to the already ordered 30585, especially on the strength of those lovely pics that bagnall posted earlier! I can't really afford it but, on the other hand, I have now eschewed buying a Hornby 4VEP so the funds set aside for that may justify another BWT. Then again, those Rail Exclusive 33s shouldn't be too far off either ... (goes off muttering and musing ..) :)

Thanks Graham for the info on numbers and dispatch rate.

Slightly kicking myself in the foot as I probably moved myself back in the que - when I ordered 30585 I requested a combined order to save postage, the result being my original 587 order being cancelled and a new joint order created! So when 587 does arrive, a longer wait is in order!

Back to the Beattie Well Tanks: I am so tempted to order 30586 in addition to the already ordered 30585, especially on the strength of those lovely pics that bagnall posted earlier! I can't really afford it but, on the other hand, I have now eschewed buying a Hornby 4VEP so the funds set aside for that may justify another BWT. Then again, those Rail Exclusive 33s shouldn't be too far off either ... (goes off muttering and musing ..) :)

I succumbed to the temptation and I am absolutely positive that when the extra arrives I shall be broke but certainly not be disappointed... :)

Just to put some of the complaints about dispatch of these items into perspective, i ordered all three BR models the day they were announced, via the website.

The card which I had used had expired. I was away from last Thursday to this Wednesday on a short break (without computer) Upon returning home I found I had an e-mail from Kernow asking me to update my card details. This I did late Wednesday afternoon and I received the two available models , by courier, at 9:05 am today.

I do not think you can fault Kernow's service, in fact I think that it is exceptional, just like the models!

• RMweb Gold

Having heard of people receiving their Beattie Well tanks, I contacted Kernow by email. Had a reply within an hour or so requesting me to ring them with my new payment details as my credit card had expired since ordering. Kernow were very helpful and my two locos arrived the following day.

Very nice models but I have yet to give them a run which I will do this weekend. only one query - the early crest loco has its number on one cab side only. I have been looking for photos of this but not found any of the left hand side in early crest livery. Is this correct?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Both (indeed all four versions) should have numbers on both sides as Kernow show on their website. Maybe another email is in order? This is potentially only the second (and minor) factory fault I have heard of among those locos so far sent out. The other was an isolated instance of inverted rods.

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived yesterday. Only had chance for a quick look over but first impressions are that they are well worth the wait.

If I'd have checked my kernow emails last week i'd have noted that they were after me to give new card details as the old one had expired. Once this was sorted the models arrived the next day. Great service.

Both (indeed all four versions) should have numbers on both sides as Kernow show on their website. Maybe another email is in order? This is potentially only the second (and minor) factory fault I have heard of among those locos so far sent out. The other was an isolated instance of inverted rods.

I had one with a noisy gearbox and was replaced by return (well done Kernow).

• RMweb Premium

For those not subscribed to the Kernow newsletter this may be of interest, including the italics added by myself for emphasis.

We have managed to process around 700 orders this week, despite having to deal with around 100 emails and calls each day from people who want to know when they will receive their model. In the light of this we have decided to stop answering emails asking this question which is a decision that has not been taken lightly. Given that all the information is available on this newsletter and our website we would prefer to spend our time actually sending the models than just talking about them! We know that everyone is keen to receive their model and we are all working additional hours to process the orders, we also have additional staff helping with the packing.

SR version = all orders complete. Sold out.

30585 = 381 orders await processing most of which are due to an issue such as expired cards

30586 = 87 orders await processing all of which have had some sort of issue such as expired cards

30587 = expected in 4-6 weeks time.

In other words that's around 2500 locos packed and despatched on top of the normal workload over the past few weeks. Top marks to a small, dedicated and hard-working team who have brought us a much-requested and superb model.

Well done to Chris and the team at Kernow Model Centre for not only brining us some unique models, but getting the Beatties out asap. I have just received an email that it has been packed and now await its arrival. I look forward to seeing it and giving it a run. Now for some wagons.

I would think that those who email or phone do not receive emails or read them or subscibe to this or any other forum. To get a loco to production takes some time and they have done an excellent job. Here in Australia some have forked out £375/A$600apx five years ago and haven't seen there item yet.

Mark

Archived