Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Just received my 30585 today, I am delighted with it, the packaging is beautiful, there is a nice bag of goodies and a useful info sheet enclosed (need stronger glasses).

The loco is outstanding in detail and looks, I gave it the honour of inserting a decent (Lenz Silver Mini) decoder and following programming popped it on the track. It runs beautifully. Congratulations to Kernow and their team, Dapol for producing a superb OO loco and all involved. Kernow MRC and Dapol deserve the success of this loco, and if it is a taster of subsequent releases modellers have some exiting products to look forward to from the Celts!

• RMweb Premium

I am delighted to announce the safe arrival down under of the first two well tanks. Having made the lengthy journey from China to Camborne and thence to Australia it was indeed heartening to open the package and find all was well.

I have already emailed Kernow with some positive comments and I will add them here. The box is superb and very robust and carries a representation of the Cornish flag of St. Piran in its design, the gold ribbon around black foam inside is a classy touch and uses the Cornish national colours. Inside that the locos are worth every minute of the lengthy wait since the order was first placed and (having already seen several running samples and handled the test shots) they live up to and perhaps exceed everything I had expected.

Test running has commenced. Both will be run in as suggested for around 30 minutes before the detail packs are added. 30585 will gain a crew while 30586 (seldom used away from Wadebridge shed pilot duty for most of its BR life) will be left "on shed". I hope to have pictures of the "Wenford Goods" taken and uploaded by the weekend.

Top marks to all concerned. And to prove I do read the small print I note at least one of our regular members is acknowledged on the included leaflet.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone else noticed that their order date (via KMRC's Order History page) has been bumped? My original order was sometime in 2010, I emailed about this time last year to check and received a confirmation that, yes, I had an advance order - but my order date is currently showing as 04/10/2011!! At this rate it could be months before I get to see mine since I'm probably now at the end of the queue (if they haven't sold out by then)!!

Has anyone else noticed that their order date (via KMRC's Order History page) has been bumped? My original order was sometime in 2010, I emailed about this time last year to check and received a confirmation that, yes, I had an advance order - but my order date is currently showing as 04/10/2011!! At this rate it could be months before I get to see mine since I'm probably now at the end of the queue (if they haven't sold out by then)!!

Sounds like another payment issue, see post 578.

• RMweb Premium

And in an unexpected development my email advising 30587 is packed an on its way has arrived :O

Kernow hasn't updated their own site yet (but we know they're very busy at the moment) however this wasn't expected until the end of November so maybe they've had an initial batch or the boat has docked early.

That's exciting news Gwiwer, like you I also have this one on order and I'm buildings a small layout around it to justify. Looks like it might arrive in advance of the layout being finished.

Has anyone done any extra detailing or customisation yet with some snaps to show?

• RMweb Premium

From Kernow's newsletter today:

30587 BR Black early emblem £91.99 (Not yet in stock - Due 2 - 3 weeks)

Which makes my email all the more curious. The order status for 30587 has also changed frm "Active" to "Despatched" so I'll wait and see what arrives.

For those waiting for the other BR versions:

30586 : we will contact everyone with problems on their order, such as card expired or declined etc. - 74 of these orders awaiting processing

30585: we will contact everyone with problems on their order, such as card expired or declined etc. - 242 awaiting order processing

• RMweb Gold

In the most positive way, these numbers are getting silly! I infer that Kernow have sold about 3000 0298s. While some of these are multiple purchases by Southern enthusiasts, that still sounds like an awful lot of happy campers shelling out a not-insignificant sum for an obscure 2-4-0 tank engine more or less captive to one remote branchline.

There must be a few people out there trying to work out what Kernow knew that no-one before them did. We do live in interesting times.

• RMweb Gold

Picked my BWT up from KMRC at the Bodmin show today. As expected, it runs superbly.

A question however ( which I will ask of KMRC). - should the fire irons be included in all versions ? I have 30857, which has discs, vacuum pipes & couplings in the accessory bag, but nothing else.

• RMweb Gold

Picked my BWT up from KMRC at the Bodmin show today. As expected, it runs superbly.

A question however ( which I will ask of KMRC). - should the fire irons be included in all versions ? I have 30857, which has discs, vacuum pipes & couplings in the accessory bag, but nothing else.

Stu

The fire irons etch would be in a separate plastic bag and is likley to be under or down the side of the foam insert along with the instruction leafet.

Edit to correct daft typing mistake...

• RMweb Gold

Stu

The fire irons etch would be in a separate plastic bag and is likley to be under or down the side of the foam insert along with the instruction leafet.

Edit to correct daft typing mistake...

Graham, a quick check of the packaging has found the etch safe in its own plastic bag.

Many thanks !

Stu

In the most positive way, these numbers are getting silly! I infer that Kernow have sold about 3000 0298s. While some of these are multiple purchases by Southern enthusiasts, that still sounds like an awful lot of happy campers shelling out a not-insignificant sum for an obscure 2-4-0 tank engine more or less captive to one remote branchline.

There must be a few people out there trying to work out what Kernow knew that no-one before them did. We do live in interesting times.

Not ust what they knew, but I would argue how they went about doing it.

A few observations about the project which, in my view, go a good way to explaining the success:

Operation – obscure, yes, but charismatic setting, working in an industry (China Clay) that typifies a popular region of the UK. Deployed on short, eminently modelable trains. Based at the same shed, with specific roles (1 station pilot, 2 branch working); immediate justification for multiple orders.

Prototype – long lived, rare survivor of Victorian engineering. Gained cult status on railtours in the London area before retirement. Very popular over the last 9 years operating in preservation across the country. Therefore even for non-Cornish layouts, the model can find a home shunting, trip working, branchline working, or even railtours.

Project Approach: Focus on detail and modern specification to deliver a high quality product. Most potential errors ironed out. Customer engagement from an early stage in the project, with CAD, test shots, and prototypes in the public domain. This was combined with a very positive approach by KMRC and Dapol to feedback from potential customers, and the clear improvements visible at every stage in the model’s development.

From a personal perspective, the BWTs reputation in preservation, combined with the obvious quality visible in the CAD designs and KMRCs engagement with my feedback, motivated me to order one. The inability of 1 to prototypically manage the normal loads on my layout (4-5 Mk1s!) prompted the order of a second!

How does this square with 30587 being 2-3 weeks away? Clearly they are here now, or some of them are! Any pictures?

Now the question is, how do they deal with multiple orders (I'd requested everything in one shipment to save myself postage!) - go through the new batch in strict date order, or sort through the processed order still waiting for the final model?

• RMweb Gold
How does this square with 30587 being 2-3 weeks away? Clearly they are here now, or some of them are! Any pictures?

Now the question is, how do they deal with multiple orders (I'd requested everything in one shipment to save myself postage!) - go through the new batch in strict date order, or sort through the processed order still waiting for the final model?

According to KMRC some of these arrived yesterday, so they brought them to Bodmin.

Mine was pre-ordered last October - I was offered the chance to collect mine there and then so took it. If I'd not, I would have picked it up directly from the shop on Monday. In either case, it removed one from the queue of those waiting for postal deliveries.

Stu

It is probably because there is an acute shortage of Southern Tank engines in RTR - A USA Tank or an E4 etc would also sell like hotcakes :)

• RMweb Premium

Bodes well for an Adams Radial, for even if Kernow weren't interested in doing it, their success with the Beatties goes to show that it too should get some sales. Sounds a bit like I'm wish-listing again ;)

that still sounds like an awful lot of happy campers shelling out a not-insignificant sum for an obscure 2-4-0 tank engine more or less captive to one remote branchline.

How many people want one who never saw them in Cornwall but know them from Quainton and various other places?

Quite a few I would guess. They crop up on a regular basis in construction articles in various mags over the years. They appear in the album type books on far more occassions than you would expect from their numbers and range. A fairly obvious choice I would have said. Interesting that small tank locos are thought to be more popular than small tender locos. Note lack of J15 and J21, both seen by a multitude in preservation days.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

As many will have observed, Kernow support many projects that are involved with life and working in the county, I suspect that among the financial and viability considerations in the planning there was the fact that these little beauties lived in Cornwall and the Cornish are very proud of their own.

I have found the BWT model is very fragile. But I didn't want to leave it in the box or just on display so I had to take the risk and suffer the consequences.

The smoke box handle darts broke off very quickly. I have replaced them with the Mainly Trains brass darts. The Kernow picture of 30586 at Wadebridge showed me a prototype angle.

The lamp iron on top of the boiler was missing by the time I was ready to mount the headcode disk. I fashioned a new one from a thin slice of Evergreen plastic angle.

After two weeks the locomotive started to perform erratically. I opened it up and found that the orange wire connection lead to the motor solder joint was failing so that had to be taken care of. A little damage occurred to the right side from a brief accidental touch of the soldering iron so 3329 will forever face Wadebridge on my Padstow layout.

I did remove the appendages below the injector as they did not appear in any pictures.

And the front coupler hook broke off while attaching the vacuum hose. It will be replaced with an etched one sometime soon.

Eventually I will get around to weathering it to a sooty black.

This is imy 3329 running with the new smokebox handle and headcode. Not numbered for the duty as I cannot see the number from a distance.

post-6958-0-65195800-1320010470.jpg

Autocoach, my commiserations on your tale of woe. I have not yet test run or detailed my loco due being on holiday and lack of an opportunity since.

I hope I don't have a similar experience to yours, as my particular field of expertise is unplanned glue deposits and marks rather than soldering.

I like your photograph.

Archived