Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

Here I had gone to all the trouble of removing the BR markings and smokebox number on my 30585. The Southern lettering was the smallest coach lettering on the HMRS Bulleid passenger sheet. I had not gotten around to putting 3314 on the buffer beam. Do I just get another and write this one off?

post-6958-0-81646900-1327458114.jpg

• RMweb Premium
Do I just get another and write this one off?

Other than supporting the Kernow initiative I can't think why. The job you have made there is already superb and it's not as if you haven't already bought a well tank ;) We just never know what might lie in the future.

• RMweb Gold

Other than supporting the Kernow initiative I can't think why. The job you have made there is already superb and it's not as if you haven't already bought a well tank ;) We just never know what might lie in the future.

Ken

I agree with Rick yours looks fine, I did wonder if you would carry on with the renumbering after I gave you the heads up about this next Kernow release back in December.

• RMweb Gold

Here I had gone to all the trouble of removing the BR markings and smokebox number on my 30585. The Southern lettering was the smallest coach lettering on the HMRS Bulleid passenger sheet. I had not gotten around to putting 3314 on the buffer beam. Do I just get another and write this one off?

Of course not! You have done a little of what we are all urged to do - created your own loco by renumbering, rather than the RTR version. It is thus unique. As Rick says, you've supported Kernow's brill initiative, and saving your pennies now will help the budget for O2, gate-stock - and whatever other goodies are yet a twinkle in the Kernow eye!

Thank you for all of your kind encouragement. The normal 3 foot viewing distance is kinder to the effort than the closeup above which magnifies most faults. At 3 foot the "Southern" on the splasher doesn't look so out of place even if twice the size it should be.

Actually the "do I get another one" was sort of rhetorical. My first batch BWT Southern 3329 is semi-permanently on shed after developing an aversion to running unassisted over Peco long curved insulfrog turnouts (see earlier post above in this thread). By the time Graham gave me the hint of things to come the 30585 was already on hand and as I have no plans for my model time machine (note the blue police box behind the station) to go past December 31, 1947 I plunged on with the backdating until the holidays came and most activity on the model railway scene was curtailed. The missing vacuum pipes are an indication that the buffer beam numbers still needed to be added.

My 3314 has no problem with the Peco long curved insulfrog turnouts so I was thinking a spare BWT mechanism might be useful. And I do get a 20% discount (VAT taken off) not entirely eaten up by postage.

I may be spending a bit more than another BWT on a little trip to the UK this spring. Another visit to Padstow, Wadebridge and Bodmin along with the Bluebelle this time (along with the usual visit to relatives etc.) If April 28-29 iwinds up in the itinerary I may even make it to Taunton.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received 30587 for my 21st and after 10 minutes or so of running at quite a slow speed the loco was giving off quite a lot of heat. I'm used to some of my engines heating up after longer periods of running, but I'm a bit worried that this has happened so quickly.

It has cooled down as quickly as it heated up, but as its an expensive little model that would need to be posted off if it required repairs, I thought I best check if anyone else has had any similar experiences, and what members would suggest I do.

Thanks in advance. Its a great little engine though, really looks the part, and runs reasonably well too, other than the obvious issue.

• RMweb Premium

I would address your concerns to Kernow MRC for their advice. My three have all run satisfactorily for up to an hour at a time and hauling modest trains over a hilly layout without becoming alarmingly warm. They have felt a little warm to the touch after a few minutes which might be due to their size versus the power output generated or the warm environment they run in (Australia!!!) or a combination of both. Performance has never been affected and after a few early running sessions they are now largely confined to the single trip workings or shunt moves for which they were purchased and which closely resemble the operations of the actual Wadebridge trio for many years.

Very pleasing to see a second SR Beattie Well Tank coming to us. I have placed my pre-order on tonight.

Out of interest does anyone know where I can pick any spare brackets for fire irons and the handles for the smokebox door at all? Sadly mine have come off and it does spoil the overall look of the loco. Please PM me if you have any ideas I can pick these up please.

Garethp8873.

I replaced a broken smokebox door handle with brass handles from Mainly Trains. Brackets for fire irons would have to come from somewhere..

It would be nice if one of the small parts etchers and casters would make a detail fret with spares for this locomotive. Mousa Models might even use their 3d printing techniques for spare detail parts. Over time we all will need some replacement or additional details.

I still have my first BWT, a Southern 3329, on the ill and idle track for acquiring a tendency for loosing electrical connection on insulfrogs. Same problem does not affect my later SR 3314 (30585 repaint.)

I still have my first BWT, a Southern 3329, on the ill and idle track for acquiring a tendency for loosing electrical connection on insulfrogs. Same problem does not affect my later SR 3314 (30585 repaint.)

At present, my 3329 sits in a glass display cabinet, alongside other cherished goodies. Prior to this, it had behaved perfectly, and whilst I have still to complete trackwork on the layout, there is not the temptation to bring it out. An r-t-r 3314 is, I hope, westbound on the high seas, and my fat director will borrow the pair to work a few seasons east of Exeter.

I agree that it would be welcome if a cottage industry should add detailing parts to their catalogues, dedicated to the replacement of bits that get brushed off.

PB

I have one of these at home trembling nervously in anticipation of being backdated to LSWR condition.

I think I've determined that it needs

(i) shortening - jury's still out on whether I do that, it needs about 2-3 mm off between front buffer beam and cylinders.

(ii) a stovepipe chimney. I'm looking at using the Gibson GER one with a bit of filing - there's an obvious seam about a third of the way up.

Have I missed anything?

We assume it ought to be green in the period we're looking at (1918-23) although I'm waiting for the HMRS tome to be consulted for a definitive answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Proving once again, there IS a prototype for everything, 30587 at 138 year old, breaking new ground for the class, and reawakening live steam under london for the first time (give or take) since the early 1970s

Filmed last night by a staff member (I guess) lucky chap...

Here's to the MET150 events next year!

• RMweb Premium

Very nice. Despite having at least four locomotives in the train only one appeared to be doing the work! And does anyone else think LU manages to keep their engineering stock wagons in incredibly good condition?

Guest Belgian

I have one of these at home trembling nervously in anticipation of being backdated to LSWR condition.

I think I've determined that it needs

(i) shortening - jury's still out on whether I do that, it needs about 2-3 mm off between front buffer beam and cylinders.

(ii) a stovepipe chimney. I'm looking at using the Gibson GER one with a bit of filing - there's an obvious seam about a third of the way up.

Have I missed anything?

We assume it ought to be green in the period we're looking at (1918-23) although I'm waiting for the HMRS tome to be consulted for a definitive answer.

You are right about 'green' in the period 1918-23 but it you'll need photos to ascertain whether it was still Drummond green or Urie green, the latter being a dark 'Holly Green' for goods engines. Before 1921 you'll need a Donkey Jacket - sorry, Donkey Pump (although I'm not sure when these were actually removed), and to fit wooden bufferbeams. Also an Adams dome, unless you are referring to post 1921, when they were rebuilt (again) with new boilers with Drummond domes and safety valves. (0298 was thus rebuilt in December 1921, 0314 September 1921 and 0329 April 1922). There's no reference in my Bradley book (the RCTS one) as to when the Donkey Pump went nor when the cut-outs in the small coupling rod splashers were filled in, although that was probably during the 1930s rebuilds).

JE

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Just ‘playing’ with my BWTs. Very odd behaviour on one of them. Before I contact KMRC (with a few days warranty left!) I thought I’d post here.

The loco slips to a stand on 2nd radius with 7 wagons in tow (metal-wheeled 4-wheelers, plus a bogie well).

On closer inspection, the front driving axle has some vertical play when on the track, pushing up on the crankpin rattles the wheel up by about a quarter of a millimeter when on the track

This would imply that only the rear drivers are providing any tractive force.

The loco also leans to one side by 0.5mm and indeed I can see the seam between the chassis and the baseplate is larger on one side than the other.

Anyone else had a similar experience, and can I do anything to fix it?

Has anyone done a full strip down of a BWT, removing the chassis and mech from the running plate assembly? I can find the P4 Conversion pictures, but this doesn’t quite go far enough.

Having had it for 6 months I’m a bit attached to it (indeed it went oversees with me in December to visit another railway...)! Am I just being sentimental and should I just stick it in the post back to Cornwall?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

I would call the shop first for advice. No issues here with my trio but I know one or two others have found fairly minor niggles arising. There might be one or two replacements left if that is what is required as a few orders were cancelled and a very small number of some versions became available once more. Follow the advice the shop gives you.

Archived