Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

No such dramas to report here. I'll cross-post one image from my layout topic rather than flood this thread with duplicates. This shows my light weathering, added lump coal, driver (fireman out of shot) and the irons pack prototypically across the bunker.

There's more linked from my signature.

DSCN2230.jpg

I wonder how many are multiple purchases by ebay capitalists?

Cheers,

Mick

I (naively perhaps) hope that Kernow Models don't operate like "Modelzone" re limited editions and try to guard against such "bulk purchases", but then I suppose their business imperative is to "sell out" the models so who knows?

A little damage occurred to the right side from a brief accidental touch of the soldering iron so 3329 will forever face Wadebridge on my Padstow layout.

With a little plastic filler, wet'n'dry paper and some black paint, this may be fixable. Sorry to hear of your problems, but well done for sorting out solutions so quickly RE the smokebox door dart and lamp iron.

Gwiwer, that looks very convincing. What have you used for your weathering? Particularly the metallic rust on the steps, very nicely done there.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many are multiple purchases by ebay capitalists?

Cheers,

Mick

A quick search suggests not a single one. No Worldwide listings at all under "Beattie", "Well" or "Tank" other than pictures of the locos themselves.

Gwiwer, that looks very convincing. What have you used for your weathering? Particularly the metallic rust on the steps, very nicely done there.

Thank you kindly. Nothing but a light brushing of Carrs weathering powder. On the loco 90% black 10% dark brown. On the steps the reverse mix.

Mine arrived today. A quick run on DC proved it to be smooth but with a slight whine going forwards, quieter in reverse. I persuaded the TCS EUN651 decoder to fit into the smokebox and set it off to run in on DCC. It probably needs a little more runnign yet but it is getting quieter and runs very smoothly with the TCS decoder - I set CV3 to 15 and CV4 to 12.

BeattieWellTankcropped-800.jpg

From BR period photos these seem to be a collection of various (1-3) oil cans. Haven't seen them on earlier shots so far.

Not wanting to question those with undoubtedly superior knowledge, but are we sure the valves on the side of the smokebox are the inejctors. aren't the injectors in a circuit with the clack valves?

I always thought appendages on the smokebox, by nature of the vacuum in the box, were connected to vac breaking, but again, they do not appear to be connected to anything, except I'm guessing pipework inside the smokebox.

Whatever they are, do we know what they are connected to inside, and how do they work, and why they leak oil!

Not wanting to question those with undoubtedly superior knowledge, but are we sure the valves on the side of the smokebox are the inejctors. aren't the injectors in a circuit with the clack valves?

I always thought appendages on the smokebox, by nature of the vacuum in the box, were connected to vac breaking, but again, they do not appear to be connected to anything, except I'm guessing pipework inside the smokebox.

Whatever they are, do we know what they are connected to inside, and how do they work, and why they leak oil!

Cylinder lubricators, I would have thought - though Mr Beattie was fond of many strange devices. Perhaps either leaking or the cans conveniently placed for topping up?

I have found the BWT model is very fragile. But I didn't want to leave it in the box or just on display so I had to take the risk and suffer the consequences.

Unfortunatly, 'super detail' and 'robust' are mutually exclusive in the world of 4mm scale.

HI Charlie

How did you get your one ? as the kernow web site says "expected November 2011" so are they now in the UK as i have this one on order and have still not heard anything about it so far,all i have is Active on my order?.

• RMweb Premium

A tiny batch (a single-digit number) has apparently been received by air in advance of the main sea container shipment.

Here may I present all three together. 30587 is "out of the box" and helps to illustrate the work I have done to the other two. All three will soon parade in lightly-weathered garb.

DSCN2258.jpg

DSCN2266.jpg

So an unknown quantity has definiately arrived! Bit alarmed they were for sale at the shop - is that general sale? I thought general sales commenced after pre-orders?

Fire irons - they seem a little on the long side - the pictures on here show them protruding beyond the width of the bunker. On prototype photos, they appear shorter than the bunker. Clearly a case of 'if you don't like them, don't use them', but me thinks a cut and solder job may be necessary...

Thanks for the pics everyone. Awaiting mine this month I hope

• RMweb Premium

The long irons do protrude slightly beyond the bunker sides. Contemporary pictures suggest the modelled ones are very fractionally too long however if carefully placed the appearance is actually rather good and they don't appear to exceed normal loading gauge. The locos themselves are narrower than many larger types. I have a few areas where clearance is fairly tight and have had no problem with the fire irons catching on scenery or greenery.

HI Charlie How did you get your one ? as the kernow web site says "expected November 2011" so are they now in the UK as i have this one on order and have still not heard anything about it so far,all i have is Active on my order?.

Guess I was just one of the very first to order one! Was a nice surprise I have to admit. I had wondered about putting the long irons on the running plate down the sides but not sure how prototypical that would be. I'll have a play this weekend!

It's here at last.

Looks superb and the running quality is on a par with the best of mainland RTR locos.

One question. More regarding the prototype than the model.

I have come across a photo in MRJ issue No 159 where Ian Rice buids one based on the old Jidenco kit.

This depicts 0314 in pre-war days but fitted with very odd rear guard irons. It looks as though two right hand irons have been used.

For those people without the article to hand the left hand guard iron bends in wards rather than outwards when viewed from the rear.

It also has square based rear buffers.

Any others like this and how long did it last in that condition?

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

30585 is now equipped with a bucket as per many prototype images of the class. Bachmann "Fire Bucket" painted black and with brown weathering powder blown over wet paint.

DSCN2290.jpg

And she looks the business on the branch goods.

DSCN2293.jpg

30585 is now equipped with a bucket as per many prototype images of the class. Bachmann "Fire Bucket" painted black and with brown weathering powder blown over wet paint.

Isn't the fireman going to have quite a job to get at the water filler with all that coal and hardware on top? or is there something missing?

Jon

Archived