Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

Isn't the fireman going to have quite a job to get at the water filler

One thing ive always wondered -

where exactly is the water filler on these locos - and where does the water go?

I'm assuming from the name 'well tanks' the water tank is underneath somewhere?

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Premium

And to address the question of where the water was stored the name does indeed suggest where the tanks are. On these locos there are two tanks low down between the frames. One at the front and one amidships roughly in the position of the front and middle wheel sets.

With resepct to backdating the models to pre there last rebuild in the Early 30s and again to pre their first rebuild ie LSWR condition would indeed be a challege wih only really the chassis being of any use!

As for Bulleid style liveries 3314 received Bulleid lettering and bunker numerals in 11/42 and around the same time so did 3329 but 3298 retained the Maunsell livery until Nationalisation.

30587 ex 3298 gained its British Railways number and initially British Railways in full in small gill sans in July 1948 30586 ex 3329 also gained British Railways in full on the square splasher but this was in Bulleid Sunshine style lettering being an earlier repaint in March 1948 (I will certainly be repainting at least one side of one of mine to this style!, I already have a number of locos in my fleet with such differing letting on one side) .

They gained their British Railways identiies as follows, all in unlined black: 3298 to 30587 7/48 , 3314 to 30585 11/48, 3329 to 30586 3/48

For those not wishing to repain and renumber it is certainly a posibility that a future batch might appear in one of these transition liveries / lettering conditions.

I am not waiting for a future batch. This one has taken enough time to see to fruition.

30585 just arrived. I have stripped off the "30585" and BR herald in anticipation of backdating to the 1946-47. But am plain chicken to attack the beautiful smoke box door with the cast on BR number plate. Wonder if Kernow has any extra's from 3329? Is there a cast brass/pot-metal replacement (although that might be a problem with the magnetic attachment.) I would inquire but the e-mail being about the BWT will probably still go into the dead letter box.

Additionally, I also have not yet obtained the BWT book referred to by Graham. So where would the 3314 lettering for "Southern" go on the 1946-47 livery? I understand the number goes on the bunker in non-Sunshine Bulleid font. Should I just leave off "Southern" and the lining until I can locate the proper reference.

• RMweb Premium

A reasonable enquiry should receive a reasonable answer. Kernow have only advised they ceased to respond to emails specifically asking when an individual order might be fulfilled and only because they received so many that it significantly delayed the actual despatch process to answer them.

I see no harm in enquiring as to whether they might be able to assist with your request.

• RMweb Gold

i had 30585 running on my HO layout briefly at the weekend now its fitted with Kadee couplings and a Bachmann decoder. It ran very well except when the bottom of the chassis grounded on the uncoupling magnets. The magnets are slightly higher than they should be but the Beattie tank wont normally be running on this USA layout. I have also obtained the Masterpiece cast M7 fireman and driver ... just need their feet removing to fit them in.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Not quite Jeff :declare: Mine have required amputation below the knee for fitting at the right height on the wheel-arch moulding (getting them to stick on that curved section isn't that easy) though with the driver facing sideways from 30585 retaining most of his left leg as that rests on the flat footplate.

• RMweb Gold

So where would the 3314 lettering for "Southern" go on the 1946-47 livery? I understand the number goes on the bunker in non-Sunshine Bulleid font. Should I just leave off "Southern" and the lining until I can locate the proper reference.

3314 during its 1946-7 livery era it had 'Southern' in smaller than usual sunshine style lettering, approx 3" high, across and centred on the front driving wheel splasher. There was no lining.

I have just finished my model of 3329 and as 30586 on the other side (as you can only see one side at once!)

post-243-0-84345900-1320667929_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-98149000-1320667936_thumb.jpg

More details about this model and its change of eras can be found on my blog post today here.

Muz, How are the printed details removed? (meths, microsol, t-cut... every manufacturer needs a different method), and was a revarnish required.

What transfers did you use? the finish is brilliant

I am very tempted to e.crest 30585 (to match its stablemate)

EDIT - MUPPET Just read your blog post... Must remember: think first, post after!!!

Graham

Thanks for info on 3314.

My method for removing was liberal use of ispropyl alcohol 91% that also serves as an acrylic paint thinner. I apply with some pressure using a Microbrush paint applicator. After letting it soak and some scrubbing the lettering or BR heraldic device will be removed although a faint outline remains. I did have to repaint the cab and bunker sides with engine black afterwords and that eliminated the remaining traces.

I am going to have fun looking through a HMRS transfer sheet for the right 3" lettering.

My 3329 after the unfortunate accident with a soldering gun on the never visible again right side has now been somewhat weathered with Bragdon Enterprises micro weathering powder aptly named "Soot". 3314 will get the same treatment once it has been lettered. Soot gives a rather subtle effect of the overall grime-iness of coal fired times.

Now I am wondering if a string of Cambrian's promised SR 5 Plank Wagon Kit (D1375) would be good for the china clay shipments to Padstow in that period. (I know such traffic did not exist, but I need a justification for 3314 to come down the line from Wadebridge with a set of flat sheeted wagons. 3329 was used on the daily mixed and other Wadebridge Padstow trains so has a real place on the layout.)

30587 arrived today ... wow! Well done Dapol.

I have query regarding the lubricating though. I couldn't make out from the tiny pic where one is supposed to lubricate the little beast. Have I got a duff set of instructions, or am I missing something? The text refers only to the pic and doesn't actually say where.

• RMweb Premium
I couldn't make out from the tiny pic where one is supposed to lubricate the little beast.

The instructions say "No part of the motor requires lubrication". There are no lubrication points shown on the picture despite the wording which I agree might be confusing.

If anything is needed I would suggest dipping a pin in the oil and applying the lightly-oiled point to the fixing bolts holding the rods to the driving wheels. They may never even need that much.

This might be the Chinese at work again. When I mentioned in passing to Chris at Kernow MRC that one of the three locos (30586) has a duty number on its marker disc while the others are blank white he expressed surprise and said blanks were requested all round. He was not apparently aware of this before. Not that it's a problem at all but his words were to the effect that the Chinese continue to surprise him even after delivery of the product!

has anyone had the body off? Can we ascertain whether the cab (which appears to be a seperate fitting) is held in place (via the bunker) with screws. Having closly inspected MANY onine and mag pictures, I sense a little bit of adjustment in may be necessary on many examples. Having got two on order, I'm going to bet that at least one of them will....!

Won't go into details now because it’s not fair until I've actually seen one in the flesh, and we know the camera can lie, but I would like to know that said part can be removed if necessary.

Regarding different sides/different numbers, NRM have the same problem with the Scotsman (well, that's the least of the problems they have...). Its a tricky one. And ofcourse with the Southern WT, you have a number on the bunker as well!

Cheers Alpha Fox.

Are there any unspoken for BWT's left at Kernow? Better hurry G-BOAF.

The BWT body is single molding. Just had my 30585 top off for backdating to 3314. The boiler, cab and bunker are a single casting with details added. Joined through the cab roof. Footplate is another single casting. Coal load is cast in in such a way that it is difficult to cut our for less than full load in the bunker. You just have to cover it with "coal".

As my SR 3329 is built the same way, I think 30587 would be too.

I just finished scraping and sanding off the BR era number plate on the smoke box door for 3314. Like my 3329 it will get a brass smoke box door dart from Mainly Trains. Much more robust.

• RMweb Premium

30585/6 still listed by Kernow as in stock and 30587 main batch still not shown as in stock but would be due any day. I'd get in very quickly. It's a long time now since Kernow advertised "Over 85% of the models pre-sold" and they still show as the top three items in their best sellers list. The SR version is sold out though.

I took one good look at the bunker and decided to "cover it with coal" rather than investigate the possibility of doing it half full and modelling the water filler.

30585/6 still listed by Kernow as in stock and 30587 main batch still not shown as in stock but would be due any day.

Actually stocks of 30587 arrived two weeks ago, as reported on this same thread, both Stubby 47 and I collected our models and Greg at the shop will confirm this statement.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Actually stocks of 30587 arrived two weeks ago, as reported on this same thread.

Tim

I'm only quoting the shop themselves: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/28467/K2051_Dapol_240WT_Beattie_Well_Tank_Steam_Locomotive_30587

I agree some have arrived (I have one) but I was under the impression the main batch is yet to arrive. Kernow's latest newsletter states "Part shipment received"

Hi,

Sorry but I am merely reporting what actually happened as reported on 03.11(see post 619) and it would appear that you have already acknowledged the fact by your reply (see post 620)

I am merely confused by the contradictory comments and try to set the record straight so that customers of Kernow Models are aware of the actual situation.

Once again, sorry, I'll get me coat.

Tim

Are there any unspoken for BWT's left at Kernow? Better hurry G-BOAF.

The BWT body is single molding. Just had my 30585 top off for backdating to 3314. The boiler, cab and bunker are a single casting with details added. Joined through the cab roof. Footplate is another single casting. Coal load is cast in in such a way that it is difficult to cut our for less than full load in the bunker. You just have to cover it with "coal".

As my SR 3329 is built the same way, I think 30587 would be too.

I just finished scraping and sanding off the BR era number plate on the smoke box door for 3314. Like my 3329 it will get a brass smoke box door dart from Mainly Trains. Much more robust.

can't wait to see the results!

Don't worry, I've had 587 and 585 on order since August and November 2010 respectively. Just waiting for them to arrive (dispatched together, free postage! - cheap, moi??)

Agreed the running plate is a seperate, but looking at the cad pics (see link), I'm pretty sure the cab is not integral to boiler, the colour on the CAD is a different shade to the boiler, suggesting different parts - there's no way the backhead could have been moulded if it was. Now, how are boiler/running plate held together. Glue (oh help...!) or screws (yay!)

http://scalemodels.ianallanpublishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hm38_update_pic-4.jpg

G-BOAF

These photos show body removed. The tab at the front of the boiler fits into the footplate and there is a screw that holds the boiler/cab/bunker casting to the footplate/mechanism. It is a very easy operation and needed to fit a driver and fireman.

I have a bit more touch up on the painting to give it an overall flat look.

I would not go by the original CAD anymore.

post-6958-0-55008300-1320983772_thumb.jpg

post-6958-0-94367600-1320983786.jpg

post-6958-0-75577500-1320983797.jpg

Archived