Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

Sorry folks for bumping. Next question now things are run in (at last). Where are the oiling points?

The instruction don't show properly,

there is a hole under each axle gear, does a drop go in there?.

And as usual on crank pins?

Worm gear?

Axles? (how would this interfere with the electric pickup?)

Anywhere else? Piston rods are plastic so are they OK to oil?

Sorry, but I'm stumped on this one after 22 years in the Hobby.

• RMweb Premium

I must admit to not having applied any oil to mine. I seem to remember (without delving into the box store) the instructions suggesting that oil might be required rather than treating it as an essential. I would be very wary indeed of how much I put into such small locos and surely not onto plastic rods which may suffer a chemical reaction to oil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has any one else noticed the front coupling is extremely droopy, to the extent that other Bachmann couplings ( on standard Bachmann wagons) don't engage the hooks at all ?

And if so, does anyone have a workable solution ?

Ta

Stu

I find droop a problem with a lot of Dapol couplings. You can try tightening the centre fixing screw but it rarely cures the problem completely so i usually end up super gluing it in place. This disables the centering mechanism but as long as you don't have tight curves I've not found it a problem. If the coupling is loose in the NEM socket I pack it up with some 10 thou plasticard.

• RMweb Premium

I don't have "droopy" couplers on my well tanks in the sense that Heljan couplers droop. The hooks do however have a long vertical member which can clip barrow crossings and the cross-rail of opints and crossings. I trimmed about 1mm off the coupler bars with the Xurons which fixed the problem on the well tanks and other Dapol items such as the silver bullets.

The couplers themselves angle slightly downward and mine are not a problem when maiting with Bachmann wagons but if you can slip a shim of Plasticard beneath them in the mounting then this may raise them just enough to ease any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted a DCC Concepts DCTS4SAP in the smokebox. I removed all the Dapol electrics and wired it direct to the motor and pickups. There is not much room and it's a very good fit but it will go in.

• 1 year later...

Has anybody dismantled the BWT (removed body). I want to fit a sound decoder in one of mine and am pondering how to get the speaker wires from the smoke box through to the coal bunker.

Any advise appreciated.

Ray.

If you would like I will remove the body from my Kernow /Helens Trains sound BWT 3314 and photo it this weekend. Removing the body is not the problem with these models. Opening anything deeper to diagnose problems with pickup is a problem.  I have asked for diagrams but neither Kernow nor Dapol would provide them.  Instead they referred me to an independent repair service in the UK where I would have to ship the locomotive. Not acceptable when you live in the old Spanish Colony of California.  Everything here has to be field repaired.

Long term I am looking at how to change the ESU sound decoder on one and add a non-ESU sound decoder to the other BWT.  At the moment I am looking at the new TCS WOW sound decoders that include a keep-alive capacitor that lasts long enough to navigate a Peco insulfrog.

Hi Ken, many thanks for the offer of a photo. I had heard somewhere that you have to cut through the brake rodding as it's glued in place but not sure of the details. Dapol's instructions for the BWT are lacing in this department, I guess there's little need to dismantle for most as the decoder socket is accessible through the smokebox. I think this will need hard wiring due to the size of a sound decoder.

Ray.

A day later than I planned due to a small server problem at work and not the best pix.

post-6958-0-69423600-1389657033_thumb.jpg

Remove the rear coupler. Underneath the rear coupler is another screw.  Unscrew that and the body comes right off. There is a tab holding it in front. I had forgotten and took the front coupler off too.

The ESU decoder has pulled back from where it normally resides in the smokebox due to short wires to the speaker.

I still need to get into the mechanism to fix the contacts or figure out how to add a keep-alive.

Now I can see why the speaker did not go in the bunker.  The attaching screw post was in the way. Also Dapol/Helens hardwired the decoder removing the Dapol decoder plug. My problem is finding the compatible KA unit (not the KJA Unit which is me) with the ESU decoder. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the picture Ken. I wasn't looking forward to dismantling the BWT but on reading your description it doesn't sound too bad.

My Zimo sound decoder has arrived loaded with a BWT sound project so will have ago at fitting it over the weekend. I was hoping to fit the speaker in the bunker but as you point out the fixing screw makes that a bit awkward. I have a number of small zimo speakers so will have a play around a see what fits best.

Ray.

Anyone interested in fitting sound to their BWT might want to checkout my thread

Here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1320440

And here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1321606

Managed to get a 25x15mm speaker in the bunker but is took a leap of faith cutting out bits of the bodywork to get it too fit but it was all worth the effort.

Will post a video link so you can hear it shortly.

Ray.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC's stock system is real-time meaning when the last of any item is sold it will vanish from the website.

Try emailing them for information regarding reruns - they have a reputation for being helpful in response.

To help answer Phil Gollin's question, Kernow have a link to each of their models that they own the tooling for. You can find the one for the Beattie tanks by putting the search: Kernow Model Rail Beattie well tank   into your search engine. The site confirms that all of the original versions are sold out and advises that the same page wil detail further production runs, but there are no details showing, so as Gwiwer advises, an e-mail to Kernow might bring more info. It could be that after Kernow's separation from Dapol, who were responsible for carrying out the tooling and production, that a new production source has not yet been appointed. Kernow own the tools, so there should be no issue there.

• RMweb Premium

That's quite a good sound. I've not been keeping up with steam loco sound as I have always found them rather tinny and unrealistic compared to diesel sound chips (most chips that is!!!) Thanks for posting that; nice models by the way.

P

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

And while acknowledging the R&D is already done rather than being an all-new project which means the per-unit cost is lower will you just look at the price!   Get 'em while you can!

• 2 years later...

Hi all, has any one stripped a well down fully? Mine has decided that the drive train doesn't want to mesh any more, the motor is spinning with out the wheels turning. Anyone had any problems like this?

I had exactly that problem with a new one. Sent it back and instantly replaced. Under warranty?

Archived