The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ship stuck across (blocking) the Suez Canal

john new

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

So, if you are keeping practicing muslims from heavy work during Ramadan because they cannot eat, or drink anything other than fresh water, between sundown and sunset, on the basis of their health and safety and those of their workmates because of assumed low energy levels, the question then is about whether you are imposing positive discrimination on them on religious grounds.  This is where it gets awkward; you're not discriminating but applying good H & S practice, but as the muslim employees signed a contract of employment which delineated their duties, they have, if TPH's analysis is correct, disbarred themselves from consideration from any special treatment. 

But you would undoubtedly make similar accommodation for a pregnant woman, who would have signed the same contract of employment.

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Actually, muslims living in the polar regions have dispensation from their Imans to observe Ramadan daylight fasting at set times rather than by sunrise/set.  The sunrise/sunset fasting works well enough outside the tropics even as far north as the UK, and Mecca is north of the tropic of Cancer. 

Which completely misses the point. 

I would have expected a highly intelligent being, who issued these religious control orders, to at least have a basic understanding of the working of our solar system. 

Obviously I was mistaken. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear what a mini storm I have created.

Let me make clear that the reason these people were put on light duties was because they were considered as unfit to do their full duties on the day.  this was due to their fasting not because they were Muslim - although the reasons why they were fasting was because they were Muslim.

Is this discrimination?  Yes.  I have never made a personal decision that was not made on the basis of discrimination.  This might be a today decision for today's operation or a long term decision for a promotion.

Too old - when I was trying to create a younger team

Too young - when I needed someone who could command respect through authority - later this individual did get selected.

Too inexperienced - another one who came good later

Not sufficiently articulate

Cannot read properly

Just out of hospital

There are thousands of discriminatory decisions that have been made.  Sex, religion and sexual orientation were never an immediate factor.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's the thing. Would you trust a person is under par with a TGV-standard situation. By the same token, what about a Jumbo jet?  Or, finally, a 250,000 ton cargo vessel? 

I'll stop here, I think. We're heading towards the 'Hitler' moment, and I'll keep my thoughts to myself. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Which completely misses the point. 

I would have expected a highly intelligent being, who issued these religious control orders, to at least have a basic understanding of the working of our solar system. 

Obviously I was mistaken. 

Or a highly intelligent being who started off with followers in a region where it worked and expected his followers to work something out appropriate when they eventually reached situations where it doesn't, rather than having to spell everything out and micromanage them (i.e. not give the details for what's appropriate for every moon, planet, and space station humans might some day end up on).

I don't believe it personally but I don't see any reason to mock it.

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Or a highly intelligent being who started off with followers in a region where it worked and expected his followers to work something out appropriate when they eventually reached situations where it doesn't, rather than having to spell everything out and micromanage them (i.e. not give the details for what's appropriate for every moon, planet, and space station humans might some day end up on).

I thought you were referring to Elon Musk at first, had to read back to get the gist.:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I thought you were referring to Elon Musk at first, had to read back to get the gist.:D

Well his aim does seem to be to control the universe!

• RMweb Gold

No, he was referring to a highly intelligent being; I'll allow that Musk has low animal business cunning, but anyone who wants me to be sucked through a tube at supersonic speeds has already proven to my satisfaction that he is not intelligent at all, never mind highly.  Arrogant, certainly, even innovative, but not intelligent...

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

No, he was referring to a highly intelligent being; I'll allow that Musk has low animal business cunning, but anyone who wants me to be sucked through a tube at supersonic speeds has already proven to my satisfaction that he is not intelligent at all, never mind highly.  Arrogant, certainly, even innovative, but not intelligent...

He's intelligent, two degrees including Physics, turned down Stanford to set up a web company which was later sold before he set up an online bank that became Paypal.

He acts like an idiot because he's earned the right to be one when he wants to be, he understands the power of social media and uses it to promote his business interests.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

anyone who wants me to be sucked through a tube at supersonic speeds

I don't think we are his target demographic, the ElonTube is aimed at those who would have been Frequent Flyers on Concorde.  Angle it up a bit, and it might become a device to get the travelpod into orbit...  :crazy:

(Muahahahahahaaaaa...)

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You shouldn't judge a thread by its title. 

An update of the book/cover idiom for the digital age?.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Some recent posts have been, in my personal opinion, extremely inappropriate.

As the OP for this thread I am asking that we knock the religious and borderline racist posting on the head and get back to just discussing progress news about the incident, the future of the boat and delivery of the containers that are on it.

Regarding the containers delayed, either on the EG or one of the other ships, is this the most unusual cargo element to be reported as delayed?

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Talking to a mate of mine earlier.

His company has 13 boxes on the Evergiven and another 7 on the ship caught immediately behind.

To say they are a bit p*ssed off is an understatement!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, john new said:

Some recent posts have been, in my personal opinion, extremely inappropriate.

As the OP for this thread I am asking that we knock the religious and borderline racist posting on the head and get back to just discussing progress news about the incident, the future of the boat and delivery of the containers that are on it.

Regarding the containers delayed, either on the EG or one of the other ships, is this the most unusual cargo element to be reported as delayed?

The Daily Mail coverage of the cargo certainly illustrates that papers relentless march downhill, especially the headline...

• Agree 5

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

His company has 13 boxes on the Evergiven and another 7 on the ship caught immediately behind.

Unfortunately, these things happen.

I'm now trying to get to our discharge port with all dispatch, as the saying goes, having been delayed from departing for 50 hours because the loading port was closed due to poor weather, and the receivers are now short of product.

That's shipping - no, belay that, it's transport in general - it's unusual, but when delays happen they can have a huge impact further down the supply chain.

As for the Wail report - there is a suitable comment, but not for a family-friendly forum - involving digits... :P

Mark

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newbryford said:

Lucky s*d!  I've got 108 on the Ever Given and more than 650 delayed on other vessels.

First time in 29 years I've had to get involved in General Average claims.  Trying to explain to

customers that yes your cargo is very delayed and yes the vessel owners expect you to pay for someone else's c*ckup isn't an easy sell!

Edit: Oh and I've been importing sex toys for 25 of my 29 years in the job. For a very interesting Brighton based company. And no, the ones in the Daily Fail article aren't "mine" :rolleyes:

Edited by admiles
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11