Tom Cruise filming mission impossible 7 on NYMR

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

A deliberate double of a fake? That sounds plausible, otherwise they would have made it look like a real Continental locomotive.

I do think it would be fascinating to find out more from whoever designed and built it. There must be some twisted logic going on there somewhere. 

I’d imagine it’d be easier to build a prop based on a full size loco than to create something entirely from scratch? But it’s almost as though the person who designed this does know exactly how a Riddles BR Standard 7MT should look and tacked on the ‘foreign’ bits just for fun! There’s even a faux BR builder’s plate on the smoke deflector. And the name plates are weirdly ‘King Arthur’ like. Maybe it’s the product of someone’s ‘favourite locos’ Pinterest board?

If you knew it was going to have to run on a line in the UK then a 1:1 copy of a French or German design would probably be a non-starter from a loading gauge point of view. 

• Like 1

Certainly some French designs aren't that much bigger, but on open stretches it wouldn't really matter much. What about the coaches, are they just film props or second hand European? The latter would suggest there wasn't a loading gauge issue on the parts of the line used for fliming.

The other alternative is to build them 7/8ths of full size, of course. ;)

It does look so obviously like a Brit in disguise though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It must be a very slow news day in Derbyshire as the local paper has had a reporter going all around the area near the quarry to see if he has arrived there yet - even though a few days ago they had photos of a lot of work being carried out and said it wouldn't be completed for some time . . . . . and then if this is just to film the loco going over a cliff, will Tom Cruise actually be there or not.

Click Here for local 'news' item

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

The wife's cousin went to see if he could get a socially distanced pic with Tom Cruise (which he did) but he knows my interests so sent me some pics. Thank Nick Hale for these.

IMG-20210430-WA0016.jpg.8fb068c6113e66056520fae8de75d337.jpg

IMG-20210430-WA0006.jpg.ff74b43382fd27d309ee1ebfd98de59c.jpg

IMG-20210430-WA0010.jpg.d8dfd3ee5598a5364e7df270e26ef90a.jpg

IMG-20210430-WA0004.jpg.9948a80069b9bc20a356dd265418670d.jpg

It's quite a impressive thing and it's a shame that it's going to be driven off a cliff.  I wonder if any useable parts can be recovered for the Clan new build?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

and then if this is just to film the loco going over a cliff, will Tom Cruise actually be there or not.

Surely he will have to there, so he can leap off just before the train plunges into the abyss ?!!!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Where was this replica built ?

whilst its got obvious parts which wouldn't actually work on a working steam loco, its a very good overall engineering effort, that is designed correctly…i’m sure whoever did put this film loco together, probably could put a real steam loco together.

• Like 1

Comments on Facebook along the lines of 'how dare they destroy part of our railway heritage for a film'.... I'm not sure whether they're taking the mickey or genuinely believe a preserved loco was sent hurtling off a cliff ! 

• Funny 3

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I'm not sure whether they're taking the mickey or genuinely believe a preserved loco was sent hurtling off a cliff ! 

The latter, from what I read. It's not renowned for people thinking or checking before giving their opinion.

• Agree 5

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Where was this replica built ?

whilst its got obvious parts which wouldn't actually work on a working steam loco, its a very good overall engineering effort, that is designed correctly…i’m sure whoever did put this film loco together, probably could put a real steam loco together.

Great Central, I think (it was certainly tested there). It does (or did!) bear more than just a passing ressemblance to a certain BR Standard pacific which just happens to be resident at GCR, despite its supposed foreign-ness.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Great Central, I think. It does (or did!) bear more than just a passing ressemblance to a certain BR Standard pacific, despite its supposed foreign-ness.

I passed it on the motorway last year and at first glance I was pretty convinced it was a "Brit" that had been modified for filming purposes. Rather like the "Russian" Class 20 done for James Bond some time ago.

Some of the detail work was very realistic indeed and I was very surprised to find out that it was a "new build" replica later.

It did make me wonder why, if they wanted a loco from mainland Europe, why they built a replica of a British loco dressed up like a foreign one, rather than a copy of a genuine French or German loco. Perhaps it all gets explained in the plot!

• Like 1

Are there two film 'Easter eggs' I believe their called, in the name of the doomed loco "Le General Rive-Reine" ?  The General was of course the famous Buster Keaton loco movie, and Rive-Reine was one of the stations in the Burt Lancaster movie 'The Train'

• Like 4

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Googling around, just come across a rumour / suggestion that it was actually built at Riley's and sent to GCR for testing. That would make a bit more sense, as easier to build in total secrecy at the Riley's Heywood place.

I believe some of the earlier filming was in Norway and the loco was first seen here having come from there. It would have probably been spotted heading over there if built here so I'd say the likelihood is that it originated from Europe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Harris said:

It's on a down slope, it could be gravity, less to go wrong.

jh

Embarrassing if it didn't go fast enough though - can't see it in the film but maybe given an initial push but the speed at launch would have to have been carefully calculated.....

• Like 1