REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

Hi Charlie & Arran,

Well I will definately be getting one of the 144's in this livery when it's released and I think it will need to have sound added as well! And it will just have to run on my Scottish layout until my North West one gets built in the future! :P

Here is a shot I got of 144 007 at Morecambe on the 29th June 2011 which I thought you might like!

Thanks,

Mark

post-6863-0-05143000-1310424752_thumb.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

What about a first generation DMU that won't be tackled by the big boys - GRCW 100?

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is there are kits available for the 07 and that's always been respected in the past.

:huh:

Since when has that stopped Bachmann doing the FNA/BAA/BDA/OCA etc. Or the 108 and 105 to tread on Charlie's toes and the MPV to virtually destroy SJR Models production?

or Heljan doing the 14, 15 or 17?

or Hornby doing the OTA?

Dapol BBA?

FTG SPA?

Cambrian (as one of the kit manufacturers) must be tearing their hair out!

Many other examples are available.

The only decent kit of the 07 is an etched brass version by Craftsman and that's difficult to obtain and needs good soldering skills to build.

I think Realtrack's next DMU may tread on the toes of one of the larger manufacturers, but I know that that particular model is long overdue for a new release. If it's the DMU I'm thinking of, there are two main variations of roof details and at least half a dozen liveries.

Personally the 05 is a very bad choice for R-T-R as there are a number of ( at least 3) versions of body styles, two wheel sizes IIRC and limited liveries.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Matt, my Bachmann 03 struggles on the "dead section" of a diamond crossing whilst my new sentinel doesn't! Number of wheels seems not to have an impact there ;)

Since we're also suggesting steam how about this...

http://www.southernr...earch_fd0=33072

Ooh, yes please. If you're doing a steam loco it has to be a USA tank. Surprised an RTR model isn't already available, as these are quite distinctive and a few are preserved. I don't think a kit is available either, although DJH do one in H0.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

:huh:

Since when has that stopped Bachmann doing the FNA/BAA/BDA/OCA etc. Or the 108 and 105 to tread on Charlie's toes and the MPV to virtually destroy SJR Models production?

or Heljan doing the 14, 15 or 17?

or Hornby doing the OTA?

Dapol BBA?

FTG SPA?

Cambrian (as one of the kit manufacturers) must be tearing their hair out!

Cheers,

Mick

I was referring to Charlie (it's a Real Track models thread after all) and he is a very principled man ;)

Turning up a bit late to this:

- Diesel shunter : I think the Ruston 0-6-0 departmental units might be worth a shout, as they were long lived and used in a reasonably widespread set of locations - and I think were effectively a standard industrial type anyway. I'd vote against doing the 05. Firstly there is or recently has been a very decent Silver Fox resin body to fit the Bachmann 03 -04 chassis. I've done one myself , and frankly it was pretty easy . Secondly it's a very obvious thing for Bachmann to do as a newbody to the 03 chassis - in fact I recall dibber25 mentioning that he and Grahame Hubbard had discussed the idea at the launch of the 03 project . Thirdly , the 05s fell into 3 sub types - Batch 1(as represnted by the Ipswich locos, the IoW survivor ,and the Silver Fox body ) with small wheels and low cab profile , and a real primeval look, Batch 2a with larger wheels /high arc roof cab , and batch 2b with variations on the windows

Other candidates remaining would be the 01 Barclay (Stratford and Holyhead) the 06 Barclay (Scotland) and er not much else . Things like the NBL shunters and the 6 wheel Barclays used at Immingham (another creature from the Triassic swamps) were too shortlived and too localised to sell widely (Consider that Nodding Donkeys have been with us nearly 30 years, not the dozen years some of the shunters managed)

For what it's worth , if you did either the Barclay 01 or the Brush prototype machine shunter I'd have it for my boxfile as ideal - but I don't think that's indicative of the market in general

- 144 WY livery - strong vote for the narrow band , with RR markings . That I can use for an early 1985-90 period and a later period starting 2000 . This time I suspect I may be reflecting the wider market - the early livery will not sell to those modelling the 1990s and onward, the Arriva branding will not sell to those modelling pre1995.

- New DMU . I forget who's doing a 128 parcels unit (Bachmann?) , but the other options break down as a) cross country unit, b.) high density suburban c) less common low density unit . Under a) the 120 is the obvious candidate but . c) is what the mainstream manufacturers have targetted RTR , and b.) might seem logical , on the grounds that the big boys seem to be shying away - in which case class 116 wouldbe both widespread and novel (there ares till afewLima 117s out there)

I'm pleased to see the Arriva Trenau Cymru 143 will be a reasonably early release, I should be able to justify one of those on my layout without getting too many penalty points on my modellers licence!

Can't wait to find out what the next dmu project is, I'm hoping something one might have found on a Holyhead to Birmingham service in 2006....

• 4 weeks later...

Todays 144 Fleet News!

All Serco-Abellio refurbished units will have new corperate image 'Blue' seating, a bicycle position replacing the disabled area in the DMSL (Toilet) car,

All yellow internal handrails repainted in Grey and happy smiling staff.

I am certain Northern can achieve some of these modifications, but maybe not all!

This means the 'Arriva Red' seating is no more! They seemed ok to me! Why they don't fit better seating into the Manchester based 142's is a mystery rather than swapping good seats for good seats.

Looks like another version we can do.

• Like 1

Todays 144 Fleet News!

All Serco-Abellio refurbished units will have new corperate image 'Blue' seating, a bicycle position replacing the disabled area in the DMSL (Toilet) car,

All yellow internal handrails repainted in Grey and happy smiling staff.

I am certain Northern can achieve some of these modifications, but maybe not all!

This means the 'Arriva Red' seating is no more! They seemed ok to me! Why they don't fit better seating into the Manchester based 142's is a mystery rather than swapping good seats for good seats.

Looks like another version we can do.

IIRC they started this early last year, and have almost finished the whole fleet of 144's. All the 2 cars are done that's for sure! It's not the seat mouldings that have changed, just the seat cover. Some of the 142's are recieving the new seat covers too, the FNW "bus seated" and Merseyrail examples are gaining them slowly, however none of the ex-ATN sets at the moment have been treated.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the internal refresh was being completed when a unit would be out of traffic for exams anyway. Granted the exams don't take too long, but the speed Neville Hill work at it doesn't take them long to outshop a whole unit.

I also believe that the 144's gained the new logo as they were refurbished, and wern't repainted, bar the 3 cars of course which gained new logos around the same time and have yet to be completed.

But no Charlie, it doesn't make the train arrive with any extra seats at peak rush hour!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the internal refresh was being completed when a unit would be out of traffic for exams anyway. Granted the exams don't take too long, but the speed Neville Hill work at it doesn't take them long to outshop a whole unit.

I also believe that the 144's gained the new logo as they were refurbished, and wern't repainted, bar the 3 cars of course which gained new logos around the same time and have yet to be completed.

But no Charlie, it doesn't make the train arrive with any extra seats at peak rush hour!

The Northern Livery design for the model is virtually finished, the odd error to correct, can you spot them!

You cant get that model here fast enough! Ive got a show on the 1st weekend of October and would love them by then, but will wait till whenever this winter or next year for them! Bet that second DMU your doing will be just as good!!

Nearer to Easter due to us not being happy with the motor currently fitted, borderline on power if pulling 3 coaches so mods are underway to fit a better motor, awaiting pre-production sample on the chassis/new motor. We have also made over 8 improvements to the bodyshell design, adding more rivits, improved sprung corridor connection along with some missing items! Are we being too picky!!

• 3 weeks later...

These model look amazing. Would love to get at least one.

Thanks for that, we have delayed the model due to wanting to get it right, our first model has to be as good as we can get it within the cost bracket we are aiming at, our £100 list price is a good price as we are not selling these models at normal trade discounts, we have lowered the list price and retailers don't have normal mark-ups so don't expect discounts. This unit in our eyes could easily be £120.00 with the normal online discounts from the online retailers of upto 20% = Around £96.00.

So £100.00 is not a bad price compared with a discounted single Heljan railbus at £90.00 ish, for just 1 unlit coach!!!! ,. the Bachmann MPV is £110 and a Blue Cravens 2 Car for £97.00.

The thing is we are not making 5000, they are!! Charlie

A class 01, '02, '07, the likes of the class 10/11/12, OR a class 13 would be nice!!

Annyway, once you have done all the other things, can we PLEASE have some AC EMUs at last, pretty please?? :diablo_mini:

Thanks.

Edited by 303013