RMweb

Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium

sorry guys, i wasn't meaning it as a quiz - just that i had no idea that this sort of scene lasted so long, i would never have been anywhere near the real date. 

Locos, stock and workings from at least one or two generations before......

1 hour ago, keefer said:

sorry guys, i wasn't meaning it as a quiz - just that i had no idea that this sort of scene lasted so long, i would never have been anywhere near the real date. 

Locos, stock and workings from at least one or two generations before......

Well I went 10 years earlier than it actually was so you got me Keefer. 
Excellent photo and exactly the sort of thing that makes this thread interesting!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Yes, according to the discussion under the picture on Flickr -  "Level X-ing at junction of Old Middlesbrough Road with Harcourt Road viewed from Middlesbrough Road over bridge." It seems to tally with former lines visible on Rail Map.

https://railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Also the houses visible in the left background seem to be those visible on Google Maps abutting Leven Street and Alan Street.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

It does indeed make a good theme and agree re needing more space:

20211120_173336.jpg.00a697a1965874220f336906db5adfbe.jpg.d26173c7763fe5f20f0754647213fb6a.jpg#

20220918_162403.jpg.fb912655c19dfddde8d1264eba9b618f.jpg.ffaef66022c0cdbe3aae73b9e98f0117.jpg

Great layout, you have really captured the look of a scrap pile there, best I've seen. With the pile of cars, I can see one of my old workmates searching for bits for his car there.

Reminds me of this photo in Dewsbury by Humphrey Bolton on wikimedia and geograph.

image.png.dada30d93aa5bbba45280136bd10a9e4.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Will Crompton said:

A scrapyard, Middlesborough area, 1972. And more atmosphere than you can shake a stick at. Posted on Flickr by Kevin Lane.

A Teesside puzzle

It's ironic that across the road from the scrapyard there is a 1950s?? car just rusting away in the field. Also I've just noticed that the 08 still has it's old BR roundel.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

It's ironic that across the road from the scrapyard there is a 1950s?? car just rusting away in the field. Also I've just noticed that the 08 still has it's old BR roundel.

I think the wrecked car is the cherry on the cake vis-a-vis atmosphere along with the gaps in the fence. All it needs to make it perfect would be some local ruffians playing in that patch of wasteland.

• Like 3

On 27/02/2024 at 17:54, montyburns56 said:

Cwm Prysor 1958 by Katerfelto

Cam Prysor has an obscure, but important, place in model railway history, because back c1938, when a model railway was all track, signals, and stations, often lots of each crammed into a small space, and no scenery, someone (under a pen name) wrote a very far-sighted article in MRN or MRC (I’d have to ferret it out to check which), proposing a room-sized, fully scenic layout in 4mm/ft scale, featuring this simple location, and a lot of damp mountains. The proposal was to have only a couple of trains for the layout, modelled in detail. It was an utterly revolutionary concept, decades ahead of its time, the sort of thing that if built now would be straight into MRJ. This was pre-Madder Valley, and I think before news of the Gorre & Daphetid reached these shores. I only hope that someone picked-up the baton and built it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 27/02/2024 at 17:54, montyburns56 said:

Cwm Prysor 1958 by Katerfelto

Cwm Prysor

It's interesting that it's still a bleak (if beautiful) spot now. Impressive remains of the railway visible from the road cut into the hillsides. You could still cross the viaduct by foot a few years back, the approach cutting, being sheltered, was insanely colourful, all heathers and wild flowers. A crazy amount of effort to capture the slate trade which was apparently in decline even as the railway opened. Always thought it interesting that had nature not intervened (flooding closing the Ruabon line) and the resovoir sinking the line above Bala, there were plans to maybe serve Trawsfynned power station this way, if the Conwy Valley line was to instead get the axe.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2024 at 12:23, Will Crompton said:

Yes, according to the discussion under the picture on Flickr -  "Level X-ing at junction of Old Middlesbrough Road with Harcourt Road viewed from Middlesbrough Road over bridge." It seems to tally with former lines visible on Rail Map.

https://railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Also the houses visible in the left background seem to be those visible on Google Maps abutting Leven Street and Alan Street.

About in the middle of this 1938 6-inch survey.  The scrapyard doesn't appear on any of the large scale maps available at NLS and seems to occupy the site of the brick and tile works.

The line is the branch to Eston, which appears from the relevant 1-inch sheets on the NLS site to have been closed beyond this point by the time of the photo.  It looks like a classic rationalised situation with the former down branch still in existence beyond the level crossing, the up branch forming the middle road in the photo and the rightmost line part of the entry to the extensive sidings shown on the 1947 map which would be behind the photographer if they still existed.  Points from the down branch under the full wagons converted to hand operation at some time (possibly quite early as passenger services ceased in 1929).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Ben B said:

It's interesting that it's still a bleak (if beautiful) spot now. Impressive remains of the railway visible from the road cut into the hillsides. You could still cross the viaduct by foot a few years back, the approach cutting, being sheltered, was insanely colourful, all heathers and wild flowers. A crazy amount of effort to capture the slate trade which was apparently in decline even as the railway opened. Always thought it interesting that had nature not intervened (flooding closing the Ruabon line) and the resovoir sinking the line above Bala, there were plans to maybe serve Trawsfynned power station this way, if the Conwy Valley line was to instead get the axe.

I'm sure I've seen a layout on RMWeb modelling Cwm Prysor. When I was working on the Ffestiniog [on the rebuild of Welsch Pony] this was the route to Portmadoc and/or Blaenau I used.

Incidently, I noticed the 08 has a couple of cut out holes on the buffer beam - anyone know what those were for?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stuart A said:

A frenzy of S&T action at Yeovil in 1993

Yeovil P.M Satlink

Yeovil P.M Satlink by Steve McMullin on Flickr

Very nice but obviously not a fan of weathering!

• Like 4