RMweb

Did anyone see this morning's eclipse?

whart57

Typical. I'd made myself a pinhole projector with which to view the eclipse earlier in the week and then woke this morning to the thickest cloud cover of the week. Yesterday was absolutely cloudless in Sussex, even more so than recent years since there are hardly any planes leaving vapour trails.

However not all was lost. At around 11am the cloud cover thinned a little and the sun was visible, suitably muted by the clouds, and the chunk taken out of it by the moon's shadow was quite impressive. One could almost say awe-inspiring, and that's to a modern human who understands the solar system and how it works.

• Like 4

I did indeed - through the ship's sextant with ALL the smoked glass filters in use. We had had some thin high cloud up until the eclipse started; that quickly burnt off. (I'm presently off the Dutch coast, bound for Antwerp from Norway).

The last one I saw, also a partial eclipse, was in early 2016, off Singapore. That one was a naked eye jobbie, thanks to some nice thin clouds :)

Always nice to see these things.

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having working in buildings with no windows for the last 46 years...

No...

I saw it very briefly around 11.45 when the cloud thinned out a bit, then it was gone. A small bite out of the sun, maybe 20%. I have a pair of eclipse specs left over from 2016 (?).  I seem to think there is a much better partial coming up in a couple of years. 

I don't know how it went in Blackpool this morning, but there is a local guy who posts Youtube vlogs who was going to upload a video. I've just checked but he hasn't uploaded yet.

'A Walk On the Wild Side' is his username, they are usually worth a look if you are interested in Blackpool.

The Dark side of the Moon wasn't visible here.

Obscurred by Clouds

I had a momentary lapse of reason and thought I could wait to see if it lifted, but Time is Money and all that and I had to get on with my chores.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't say I noticed anything.  Only 20% eclipse in the London area, I was busy aboard a train and the cloud cover was variable but around 6/8.  20% isn't enough to perceptibly alter the daylight level in those conditions.  

6 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The Dark side of the Moon wasn't visible here.

Obscurred by Clouds

I had a momentary lapse of reason and thought I could wait to see if it lifted, but Time is Money and all that and I had to get on with my chores..

Hey You, it wasn't really an Astronomy Domine was it? Only Echoes of what we've had before. I've got High Hopes that One of These Days we'll see a better one, with Seamus in San Tropez, if we're Fearless. Meanwhile, I'm Learning How To Fly, it makes my feel I'm Coming Back To Life. It'll be A Great Day For Freedom when . Instead of being Marooned or On The Run and having to Run Like Hell. I ned to Breath more, it's giving me Brain Damage.

Wish You Were Here

Keith

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

There was an eclipse today?!

I was outdoors at the time, most of the day in fact, and until reading this thread had no idea. Dense low cloud and very high humidity, with occasional breaks in cloud cover giving warm sun, that’s my memory of the sky today.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1