Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

Just something to note. I remember speaking to Cav i think at DEMU last year, and i don't know if this is still the case now, but he said that for them, Cavalex models was a side project alongside their main employ.

Pretty impressive i think for 2 guys to bring a model like this to market in what otherwise would be their spare time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

@James Makin  what was the area under the old logos like after removal?  Would you say acceptable for an unbranded loco?   

(thinking ghost remains for the old logo etc as opposed to shinyness that can easily be sorted with some varnish 

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

@James Makin  what was the area under the old logos like after removal?  Would you say acceptable for an unbranded loco?   

(thinking ghost remains for the old logo etc as opposed to shinyness that can easily be sorted with some varnish 

There’s a very feint texture ghosting of the logo but based on past experience I’d be more than comfortable just varnishing over that and having as an unbranded loco! 

IMG_8833.jpeg.c723858b454b396f72c5e65ca8018180.jpeg

It was a real struggle to angle the loco under direct light to see it (you can just see a bit of the diagonal chevron on the lower grey) but even without varnishing it’s so hard to see, and once the other varnish layers go on, that’ll fully disappear!

Over time I’m planning a few unbranded and of course some lovely Transrail ones, pleased how smoothly the de-brand went, and the thinners was not even getting close to attacking the rail grey & flint grey - magic stuff!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mine’s is staying as 56120 in my favourite large logo. I am, however, wondering how easy it would be to remove the radio telephone aerials from the cab roofs. I always associated the high numbered ones as Gateshead allocated in the mid 1980s.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, James Makin said:

There’s a very feint texture ghosting of the logo but based on past experience I’d be more than comfortable just varnishing over that and having as an unbranded loco! 

IMG_8833.jpeg.c723858b454b396f72c5e65ca8018180.jpeg

It was a real struggle to angle the loco under direct light to see it (you can just see a bit of the diagonal chevron on the lower grey) but even without varnishing it’s so hard to see, and once the other varnish layers go on, that’ll fully disappear!

Over time I’m planning a few unbranded and of course some lovely Transrail ones, pleased how smoothly the de-brand went, and the thinners was not even getting close to attacking the rail grey & flint grey - magic stuff!

I found that out the hard way degreasing the side of my AS 37027 with white spirit, removing the scotty dog and part of the white stripe but leaving the underlying acrylic paint untouched. What a plonker! Nevertheless the gap in the white stripe got masked and resprayed though I keep forgetting to redo the dog. I've used the technique a few times since - you don't make mistakes, you just have happy accidents!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

21 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Good to know, 56078 is the only 56 that was seen in Cornwall in my period (in unbranded triple grey), so I’m a little limited for choice…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RBE said:

Have you got a sound version? The second fan should kick in once the loco has been under load for a while at slightly higher revs to simulate the engine and turbos getting hot. It's worked fan on all the ones we tested so should work on yours.

Thanks, played some more, especially with the heavy load setting and got it spinning 👍 Clearly I wasn't playing enough. Mind you, with all the attention to detail and thought that has gone into the model, you could have said "It's January, try again when the weather's hotter" and I wouldn't have doubted you 😃

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mike at C&M said:

Flashback to Thursday morning, and that moment when you realise you are the proud owner of 157 Cavalex Class 56s.

CavalexBoxes.jpg.6abffeb400f3893e68b655289805c94b.jpg

I am guessing not for long!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

My sound fitted Colas Class 56 has arrived from Rainbow Railways..(excellent packaging and delivery btw).....I'm almost ashamed to admit I have not been able to do a test run yet...

Chris H

Oh dear I think I have a problem. I've been running in 56 093 and 56 120 this afternoon and whilst 56 093 seems okay, 56 120 is making what I can only describe as an intermittent grinding sound so I've stopped running it. I think it will have to go back which is the last thing I need after the week I've had, such a hassle. I assume the first port of call is the retailer?

But what could the noise be? Seems to be coming from the rear bogie and is more pronounced on bends or when there is a slight track deviation.

Hey all,

This may have been covered but having had a read can’t immediately see the answer!

Is there a way to get the roof fans working on standard DCC mode? Using a LokPilot v5 DCC programming a blank decoder on LokProgrammer but cannot for the life of me get the fans to rotate. 
Thank you in advance! :)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike at C&M said:

Flashback to Thursday morning, and that moment when you realise you are the proud owner of 157 Cavalex Class 56s.

CavalexBoxes.jpg.6abffeb400f3893e68b655289805c94b.jpg

That must be one big layout to get all those on !!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

, 56 120 is makingwhat I can only describe as an intermittent grinding sound so I've stopped running it. I think it will have to go back which is the last thing I need after the week I've had, such a hassle. I assume the first port of call is the retailer?

My 56008 did the same thing sounded like drive shaft?Ran hesitantly for ten minutes then stopped just making the noise .Sending it back for a replacement tomorrow.Loverly model just frustrating!

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

..... I assume the first port of call is the retailer.

I think a few pages back RBE mentioned that any issues should be reported back to the retailer in the first instance.

• RMweb Gold

I havnt got a DCC controller at the moment for my 56008 sound edition.

Am I ok to test its running with a Gaugemaster Combi?

Thanks

Edited by Garry D100

1 hour ago, APT Fan said:

Oh dear I think I have a problem. I've been running in 56 093 and 56 120 this afternoon and whilst 56 093 seems okay, 56 120 is making what I can only describe as an intermittent grinding sound so I've stopped running it. I think it will have to go back which is the last thing I need after the week I've had, such a hassle. I assume the first port of call is the retailer?

But what could the noise be? Seems to be coming from the rear bogie and is more pronounced on bends or when there is a slight track deviation.

Flange squeal.....switch sound off!😄

Hope it gets sorted out for you what ever the fault may be....couldn't resist when you said it happens on bends

8 hours ago, RBE said:

Good idea with the screws. We will see what we can do moving forward.

I have replaced mine with M4 x 20mm thumb screws from Amazon makes it much easier no need for screwdriver.

I think 16mm will fit as well. HTH

Edited by bazil31

25 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

My 56008 did the same thing sounded like drive shaft? Ran hesitantly for ten minutes then stopped just making the noise .Sending it back for a replacement tomorrow. Lovely model just frustrating!

Yeah I was thinking either drive shaft or gears and it definitely isn't going away. Glad I had another model running in the opposite direction to compare it too. This was the one that had twisted slightly on it guides during transit, not saying it caused the problem but can't have helped. I think the packing could be improved as there is a void around the actual when screwed to the mount.

Edited by APT Fan

1 hour ago, Tobes248 said:

Hey all,

This may have been covered but having had a read can’t immediately see the answer!

Is there a way to get the roof fans working on standard DCC mode? Using a LokPilot v5 DCC programming a blank decoder on LokProgrammer but cannot for the life of me get the fans to rotate. 
Thank you in advance! :)

Are the fans workable on non sound versions? I thought they were only fitted to factory fitted sound versions? I may be wrong..

A quick check on spec and Yes you are correct.. fans should work with a decoder as controllable and in DC mode when loco moves. That's clever electronics. The cav chaps say a bespoke decoder may be your way forward unless you have a programmer.. A bespoke decoder is in the works. Road and Rails could be your friend.

So had an afternoon testing the tractive effort of the Cavalex class 56’s. Helix and incline testing alongside prototypical train lengths.

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2